AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have comcast service with HD boxes. I used to have DVR but I got rid of it to get two HD boxes for the same monthly cost.

Anyways we need DVR ability (it does NOT have to be HDTV, just SD would be fine).

Is there a box I can buy (without monthly service) with one time purchase?

I want to be able to do following.

Record comcast channels that I am subscribed to in SD?

Is there an easy to program DVR box?

What are my options?

I have read thread "HDTV DVR Comparison" and I think Magnavox

H2160 might work for me since I don't need HDTV recording, SD only.

Thank you,

Robert

PS: I posted in other forum but I think this one is more related...

·
Super Moderator
18,715 Posts
Here's the rub. IIRC, Comcast is scaling back the number of analog channels offered in most areas. And, of the digital channels offered, only the government access and local broadcast channels will be among the few unencrypted. Basic cable channels, SD and HD will require some sort of decryption. And that's going to take either a CableCard-equipped DVR or Comcast's own box. Neither come subscription free.

Head for your local HDTV Reception forum to see what Comcast is doing in your neck of the woods before buying a box that'll be useless in a few months.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon /forum/post/19563828

Here's the rub. IIRC, Comcast is scaling back the number of analog channels offered in most areas. And, of the digital channels offered, only the government access and local broadcast channels will be among the few unencrypted. Basic cable channels, SD and HD will require some sort of decryption. And that's going to take either a CableCard-equipped DVR or Comcast's own box. Neither come subscription free.

Head for your local HDTV Reception forum to see what Comcast is doing in your neck of the woods before buying a box that'll be useless in a few months.

That's not true - Moxi and Media Center (with the Ceton InfiniTV or an ATI tuner) both have no subscription cost. You could also get a TiVo HD / Premiere with lifetime service.

Of course all of these options are pretty expensive (the cheapest is probably a used TiVo HD with lifetime on eBay - they run around $400).

·
Super Moderator
18,715 Posts
CableCards do carry a monthly fee with most systems. Yeah, I've heard Comcast gives the first free or some such. I'm a BHN customer and there is a monthly fee with CableCards plus a hefty installation charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

I may have to go with comcast DVR, for convineance (it's all integrated one stop shop).

Cost wise standalone unit is not cutting it. Even at $400 you're talking 4 years to recover (my cable co charges $8/month on top of my current HD cable box).

Technology changes in 4 years so standalone unit would be outdated before I even recover the cost...

Robert

·
Super Moderator
18,715 Posts
If you can handle the cablecard fees (possibly less than the DVR rental fee) you can get a box that's expandable and has other capabilities. I built an HTPC just for unlimited HD storage and the ability to burn DVDs of recorded shows to carry on the road.

Given the expense of replacing the infrastructure, I rather doubt cable will make any more wholesale changes to transmission technology in the next four years. The nice thing about an HTPC is, if they do, change out a part or two and you're good to go, again. No need to toss the whole box.

Still, the outlay is rather hefty. And I think we're rapidly approaching the point where cable is going to have to offer better storage options and more flexibility just to keep pace with demand. Were I not a geek, I'd also sit on the $8/mo box and annoy the cable office every couple of months to see if they're rolling out anything new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.