AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to recommend a DVR for use in a channel private cable (aka, SMATV) system that I maintain. 42 channels are analog modulated DirecTV, a dozen are analog local or in-house channels, and the system also carries several channels of UHF ATSC on-channel broadcast HDTV. This system does not have a guide channel.

The resident needs to record two analog, standard definition shows at the same time. L-band is not available there at present, so I can't steer him to an R15 or HR21. Recording the broadcast HDTV is only a secondary consideration, since the content can be recorded in standard definition analog.

I don't follow the DVR scene, but I guess that since this cable system has a unique channel lineup, he would just set up a DVR like an old VCR, specifying start time, stop time or program length and channel number. What is out there for generic DVRs? He needs no bells and whistles whatsoever. This system in in a lagre, assisted living community. He is not goinf to use a PC to record, nor is he going to do much thinking. He just needs the minimum functionality of recording and time shifting two analog cable TV shows at once.

Also, the management had previously asked me to look into getting them a guide channel. There are several available, but I haven't looked into them yet. If a private cable system procures a guide channel service, do any of the generic DVRs "cue" off it to make them become more user friendly?

·
Registered
11,577 Posts
Not sure from your description if you use cable channels or regular analog UHF for your "analog modulated DirecTV" but if you use regular UHF channels the EchoStar tr-50 may be your ticket, when or if it comes out. Last I read ~September. AFAIK it does not due analog cable or for sure QAM.

Their seems to be some speculation of late if the TR-50 actually has a analog tuner though. First indications were it did, latest are maybe it only has a ASTC tuner.

Their will be a thread talking about the tr-50 in Wajo's link.

Personally I think lots of things, including the TR-50 are stalled because of the impending analog cutoff. After all probably not a lot of companies want to invest much R&D in a product that would support both now, when analog is short for this world. I agree with Citibear that TVGOS may blossom after 02/'09 also. Espically since Sony has committed to it with their new LCDs. A good sign for sure.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike /forum/post/14240663

I need to recommend a DVR for use in a channel private cable (aka, SMATV) system that I maintain. 42 channels are analog modulated DirecTV, a dozen are analog local or in-house channels, and the system also carries several channels of UHF ATSC on-channel broadcast HDTV. This system does not have a guide channel.

The resident needs to record two analog, standard definition shows at the same time.

If this is for an apartment building or something like that, you could get a dual tuner Tivo, and have Tivo set up a custom lineup. I have seen others say online in tivocommunity.com that they have made custom lineups.

It will record 2 analog shows simultaneously.

Actually, a series 3 or TivoHD will too, and will record HD (OTA or on cable, but requires cable cards for 'normal usage' of recording over cable).

so for your use, a 'dual tuner' Tivo is better.

Argh, I don't know why this is called hacked tivo.. I didn't mean for it to be titled that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts