AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time here. I am in the progress of buying a Sumsung HL-R5667W DLP set. I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at my newly (Internet) ordered pride and joy and trying to obtain some education on DVD recorders. The Samsung like mine that I was looking at was pasty and pixelated, they said analog on dish network. I was disappointed. I asked them if that was the best signal I could expect with a DVR. Salseman didn't know and got bumped up twice to the expert. He said if I get my signal OTA to the TV and (HDMI or DVC not sure) to DVR, it's a 480 signal and thats it. I can't believe it. I did some research and found a DVR that seems to do what I wanted. These are the particulars:

Off-air terrestrial hdtv receiver (PBI HD 1110)

*Dolby® Digital (5.1 Channel Surround Sound); Optical & Coaxial *Digital Audio

*Constant 480i Output via S-Video &Composite Connectors to Analog TV/VCR

*Tunes & Decodes All 18 Approved ATSC HDTV Broadcast Formats

*"Update" & "Rescan" Auto Channel Scanning Functions

*Multi-Lingual Audio & Digital Closed Caption Support

*Selectable HDTV Output Formats: 1080i, 720p, 480p

*Spanish On-Screen-Display Menu Available

*Automatic Channel Scan & PSIP Update

*Parental Guide & Rating Control

*User Friendly On-Screen Menu

*Electronic Program Guide

*LED Channel Display

Anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Ronjon,

It is not clear what you are trying to do. First you mention DVD recorders, then dish network, then DVR a couple of times, then finally off-air HDTV receiver.

Can you please confirm what your goal is? Are you trying to watch DVDs (I doubt that's it but just want to make sure), watch satellite TV (NTSC or HDTV or both), watch over-the-air TV (NTSC or HDTV {ATSC} or both), or record programming?

The Best Buy "expert" needs to be taken out back and beaten for confusing a customer and lying also. Any HDTV receiver or DVR will present an HDTV signal to a display (at least 720P or 1080i but now-a-days usually both) and most will also present an NTSC (480i) signal.

-phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to receive OTA to the Samsung. I occasionally time shift programs so I want the ability to record. The "expert" led me to believe it would always be pasty and pixelated, nothing I could do. I'm sure there are other solutions. Is the specs for the unit I mentioned or another low cost unit going to offer me anything as good as my old analog TV. What can I expect from a DVR recording from my Samsung on HDTV broadcasts? Sorry for the confusion, I'm new at this.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the confusion here comes from your use of the "DVR" nomenclature. I have Comcast Cable with the HD option. That entitles me to their "DVR" cable box, the Motorola 6412. I assure you that this DVR records a picture as good as the original, whether it be HD or standard definition.

Now, if you are talking about a DVD recorder, then you are limited to Standard definition, and the "GIGO" , garbage in, garbage out, disclaimer applies. If your OTA picture is crap, then the very best DVD recorder currently available, can only preserve what's there. There are (were?) a couple of DVRs available that should capture and preserve a great HD picture. Remember, OTA HD is digital and generally speaking, if you get the signal, it looks pretty good.

Bottom line... the Best Buy guy is a moron. If you have a real DVR...not a DVD recorder...you should be able to record and preserve HD programs that are broadcast over the air in all their glory.

As an aside, I am really happy with the Comcast package.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
To record OTA HDTV signals you will need a D-VHS recorder via Firewire from an OTA HDTV tuner. IF you connect a DVD recorder to the S-Video or composite video outs of the HDTV tuner you will be recording pristine 480i SD.

To record Cable TV HDTV you rent the cable company DVR (reocords to internal hard drive).

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
ronjon,

For OTA recording you have a few options, but only two or three are even worth the trouble.

1) OTA HDTV tuner with IEEE 1394 (firewire) capability and a D-VHS player/recorder. I have this set up at home and it works rather well but it is limited in that it is still tape based and there is no way to set up scheduled recordings - if I want to record a show once a week I have to remember to set it up every week. I don't know how may HDTV tuners with 1394 support are on the market now but if you went with used components I would imagine you could get set up for ~$500. There are many threads on D-VHS in this forum, do a search on JVC 30K or 40K and you'll learn about the trials and tribulations of D-VHS.

2) D-VHS player with built in ATSC (HDTV) tuner. I only know of one such beast, the JVC HM-DT100 - it's MSRP is $1500.

3) HDTV PVR - there have been two or three on the market. Right now the only active unit is the Sony DHG-HDD250 or HDG-HDD500. From reports it seems to work well but is not as refined as a ReplayTV or Tivo. There is an active thread on these units in this forum. You should be able to find it for ~$660 shipped.

-phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who answered. I will be recording OTA, no Comcast or Cox subscription. I am looking for a box that will record OTA HDTV programs and play back at the (I suppose) 720dpi, the same format it was received in. I found numerous recorders but this one stuck out and tested well by Sound and Vision. Does anyone have an opinion on this brand ? Digital Stream HD3150. I cant provide a link, AVS kicks it back until I have a certain number of posts. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
ronjon,

As Foxbat121 mentioned, the HD3150 is a tuner only. It does not have any recording capabilities.

Please see my post above for a description of your HD recording options.

Also, the HD3150 does not have any digital video output (DVI or HDMI) and I personally would not buy a tuner today without those unless I needed something quick and planned on upgrading in the next year.

-phil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, at least I got an education. I'm tired of climbing around in a 130 degree attic trying to drop wires in the proper place and almost falling off the house trying to mount the antenna, I'm going to take the easy way out. I'll either try Dish Network or the other satellite operation. Cox Cable doesn't offer Dolby or surround sound on it's input and I just bought a surround sound system. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon2
Cox Cable doesn't offer Dolby or surround sound on it's input and I just bought a surround sound system.
Of course they offer DD surround sound on all of its HD boxes and HD DVR boxes. I don't know where you get that idea from.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
ronjon, as for as sat providerts both dish and direct offer hd pvr that include both sat and ota reception and recording.

the dish unit is a 942 and the direct tv unit is a HR10-250.

either would require subscription to thier sat service and the ota antennea.

i have the hr10-250 hooked up to a 62" mits dlp and love it.

the hr10-250 has 2 sat tuners and 2 ota local digital tuners. allows you to record 2 programs either sat or ota at same time and combinations of a total of 30 hours in HD or 200 hours of SD. hdmi out, component, optical audio DD. highly reccomend it. should work great with your new sammy dlp.

if your interested read the thread about the direct tv hd tivo $299 in this hdtv recorder section and it will give you ideas to get one at a pretty good deal.

the cable companies usually have a hd dvr option depends on your local cable company. if they do they also usually provide your locals in HD if the locals are broadcasting in HD.

current DVD player/recorders are like 480i or 480p. which is not HD. Some of them do "upconvert" to 720P but it is still not true HD. most of them look pretty darn good tho.

There will be true HD dvd players (HD DVD? or Blu Ray HD?) in the near future, some say as soon as christmas but more widely like into mid 2006, not so sure exact dates.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, since I am only watching network programming via OTA I don't need all of the features of cable or dish (nor the cost). I was thinking of something along the lines of http://reviews.cnet.com/Humax_HFA100...tml?tag=glance

Has anyone tried these or have any opinions? It seems ideal for OTA only, not perfect, but functional. I would be interested in further discussion. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In my haste to find a suitable recorder, I only found the tuner. Please disregard the prevoius post about the Humax.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Put serious consideration into leasing the HDTV DVR from Cox for $10-15/mo. It will record two SD or HD channels simultaneously while you watch a prior recording. Cox carries the local networks in HD with Dolby Digital 5.1, so you could record those, plus ESPN-HD (and ESPN2-HD), Discovery HD, TNT-HD, as well as premium programming like HBO-HD, StarzHD, CinemaxHD, and ShowtimeHD with DD5.1. You can see an overview/demo of the COX DVR software right here .

As the previous poster indicated, the only OTA HD DVRs still in production are the Sony DHG-HDD250 and HDG-HDD500 run $650-$1000, or about four years worth of COX HDTV DVR service. Nor of these two products match the features, functionality, or easy-of-use of the Cox HDTV DVR product.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have COX network and eheheir HD PVR box and have no trouble receiveing Dolby 5.1 Surround sound on the "HD" channels and routing them to my amplifies via either coax or optical.since they are part of the broadcast. And of couse I get the local HD channels not just the national HD channels as you get with Satellite.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Cox offers Dolby Digital output for recievers on all their HDTV set-top boxes, but not on most of their non-HDTV boxes.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon2
In my haste to find a suitable recorder, I only found the tuner. Please disregard the prevoius post about the Humax.

Ronjon2, Looks like your getting a lot of answers, but I think some of them are outside of what you are asking. If I understand your question correctly it is, "How do I watch and record OTA-only programs that won't look pixelated on my new HDTV?"

Assuming that is your question, the answer should be easier than it is. Bottom line is that your need a High Def tuner to received 720p or 1080i signals. BTW, dpi is "dots per inch" and is not what the "i" in 1080i stands for. The i = interlaced, p = progressive. A standard defintion tuner can produce the pixelated boxey image that you apparently saw on a large enough HDTV.

Since an OTA HD signal is digital you'll need a device that allows you to record digitally. The advantage of this is that you record the same bits as what the OTA station sends out. So your recorded picture is exactly the same bits as what you viewed "live".

That said, your options are: Tape or Hard Disk. There are no shiny disc HD options (such as DVD) at this time. Next year you may see two completely incompatible options called BluRay Disc and HD-DVD, but that is next year.

For hard disk recording, you may still be able to find an LG LST-3410a around. These have been out for about two years and work reasonably well. You can also build a Home Theater PC and include an HD recording card and the hard disk of your choice. That is actually much easier than it sounds. The LST-3410a has a very long thread in this forum and HTPCs have their own forum under AVS.

For tape recording, JVC makes a DVHS deck that has an integrated tuner and a DVHS recorder in one box. The model is the DT100. There are two threads in this forum on that box. There are also a number of other DVHS decks but they don't have a built-in HD tuner, so you would still have to buy the tuner separately.

One final suggestion is to look at the summary of recording options at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=508907

Recording OTA HD isn't as easy as the SD options but the results can be so much better it really is worth it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to thank everyone for their input; I learned a lot. Considering the options and my budget, and lack of dish or cable, I went with A Sony DVR 231-s Recorder. I now realize my quest of recording HD will probably wait until Blu-Ray or whatever, that's why I didn't spend much on my Sony recorder. Also, I can take the burned CD to my girlfriends house to watch where a HD would be difficult. There are a lot of helpful people in the forum, I hope we can always keep it that way.

Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.