AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if there are any DVRs out there that QAM tuners in them. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
The TivoHD is the only dual-tuner HDTV DVR with QAM support. Dual tuners allows you to watch one channel while you record another, or record two different channels while you watch a previous recording.

There are several other discontinued HDTV DVRs with a single QAM tuner. Those include the LG LST-3410A and Sony DHG-HDD250/500. You can usually find these on ebay. As single tuner products, you cannot watch one channel while you record another.

Note TiVo does not currently support manual remapping QAM channels, so you can't relabel QAM channel 104-2 as say, channel 4 with guide data. With Clear QAM channels, you're relegated to single and repeating timers (daily, weekly, M-F) at a specific time.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/13017337

Those include the LG LST-3410A and Sony DHG-HDD250/500. You can usually find these on ebay. As single tuner products, you cannot watch one channel while you record another.

Well, if your TV has a built-in, QAM tuner you could always split the signal and accomplish that.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by himesky /forum/post/13027271

my tv has a tuner but then what?

He means that you could switch between the two video inputs on your TV.

Obviously you would not have pause, instant replay, 30s skip, etc when watching your TV's QAM tuner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you buy one of these magic HD TIVO, is it necessary to buy the service? What do you lose when you just use the bare box?

I want to decrease not increase my monthly charges ... Most TV is not worth watching and the local library has an enormous stock of DVDs for check out :)

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-tb /forum/post/13043427

If you buy one of these magic HD TIVO, is it necessary to buy the service? What do you lose when you just use the bare box?

That depends on what you buy. The subsidized $250 version requires a $12.99/mo or $129/yr fee to record. The $698 version has no fees of any kind.

Basically, you can buy the hardware for less than it costs to make, and pay a monthly fee. Or, you can buy the same unit with the profit factored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-tb /forum/post/13043427

I want to decrease not increase my monthly charges ... Most TV is not worth watching and the local library has an enormous stock of DVDs for check out :)

If you are willing to give up QAM and use OTA, [Echostar] Sling is expected to offer a OTA-only, dual-tuner HDTV DVR for around $400 in July. More information on that product can be found in the Echostar TR-50 HDTV DVR: Official Thread .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't mean to jijack the thread, but I am new so ... I plan on using for ATSC and QAM, I use the cable for Internet, but are there any good tuners or anything that do both? Some of the threads are so long, the only thing I have discerned in hours of reading is the Phillips 3575 is about it --

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-tb /forum/post/13046114

Don't mean to jijack the thread, but I am new so ... I plan on using for ATSC and QAM, I use the cable for Internet, but are there any good tuners or anything that do both?

The TiVo is the only dual-tuner product with ATSC and QAM. Dual tuner means you can watch one channel while recording another, or record two different channels simultaneously.

There are two other discontinued single-tuner HDTV DVRs with ATSC/QAM that you can find on ebay. These include Sony DHG-HDD250/500 and LG LST-3410A. These can only tune (watch or record) one channel at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-tb /forum/post/13046114

Some of the threads are so long, the only thing I have discerned in hours of reading is the Phillips 3575 is about it --

There are several single-tuner QAM/ATSC DVD recorders, but these do not record in high-definition. It you don't need to record in high-definition, don't need to record two different channels, and don't need to record one HD channel while you watch another, then there are several different choices. See the DVD Recorders forum for more on those.

If your TV has a built-in QAM tuner, you could switch over to that and use it to watch television while your single-tuner DVD recorder is recording something else in standard definition.

Basically, any product that can (1) record in high definition, and (2) record two different channels at once, or (3) record one channel while watching another will (a) require monthly fees or (b) cost you more than a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks bfdtv for the great information. Going to do some more reading about what you mentioned. I think the single tuner SDTV record might just work for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you run your cable from the wall into the Tivo, then run a coaxial cable from your TIVO into your TV, will that disable the QAM Tuner?

I have basic cable and am running Tivo. I just recently got the PAN TH50PZ77U from Circuit City. When I did a channel search, I figured I'd get some channels in HD (my locals that is). However this is not the case. Anyone know if the Tivo disables the QAM tuner? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert_Newbie /forum/post/13204702

If you run your cable from the wall into the Tivo, then run a coaxial cable from your TIVO into your TV, will that disable the QAM Tuner?

There is no coax output on the TiVo, and even if there was, that would not be the way to do it.

You would buy a splitter (sold by Radio Shack). The splitter would turn the single cable from the wall into two cables; one cable would run to your TV, and the other to your DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert_Newbie /forum/post/13204702

I have basic cable and am running Tivo. I just recently got the PAN TH50PZ77U from Circuit City. When I did a channel search, I figured I'd get some channels in HD (my locals that is). However this is not the case. Anyone know if the Tivo disables the QAM tuner? Thanks for your help.

It sounds like you have one of the old Series2 Tivos. Those boxes are largely obsolete. They don't do high-definition.

You need one of the new $250 TivoHD or Series3 boxes for dual-tuners and HD. If you do have a TivoHD, then run a channel scan and you should get your locals in HD, albeit without guide data. The HD locals may be on QAM channels such as 87-2, 104-2, 110-1, etc so you will have to determine which channels are what, but then you can remove the remaining QAMs from the guide under Settings -> Channel List.

You would need a CableCard from your cable company to get guide information on every digital cable channel, but even without guide data on the TiVo, you can still create manual repeating daily, weekly, and M-F recordings. The TivoHD will record two different QAM channels simultaneously while you watch a third, previously recorded QAM program in HD.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would need DUAL tuners in the DVR with QAM if the TV also has a QAM tuner.

Wouldn't it be completely analagous to my setup with my VCR that passes the cable signal through it while recording what is set up (in NTSC of course) and then the TV takes the passed-through signal and can be tuned to any other channel, be it NTSC or QAM digital (including HD.) THus I tape one NTSC channel and watch a diferent QAM channel.

I see no need for TIVO's dual tuners in this case.

I too am looking for a decent (read cheaper) DVR with a QAM tuner so I can do the above while both watching and recording two different digital channels. I think ALL DVR's currently on the market allow this dual functionality...with only one tuner in the box. I guess I may have to settle for a DVDR with a QAM tuner.

(Of course, all this discussion is predicated on NOT using the cable company's set top box as your main tuner.)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You can't record two different channels with only one tuner in the DVR, so I have no idea what you're talking about. If you're talking about inputs, yes, they only have one RF input. But internally, that's split into two tuners for two different channels.

If you want to watch a different channel on the TV get a splitter just like bfdtv said, because most DVR's either do not have RF bypass or it's not enabled. They're not VCR's.

·
Registered
89 Posts

You can't record two different channels with only one tuner in the DVR, so I have no idea what you're talking about. QUOTE]

What I said was: "while both watching and recording two different digital channels." By that I mean watching ONE (using the TV tuner) and recording ANOTHER (using the DVR tuner.) I realize that one tuner cannot record two channels.

But thank you for disclosing that a DVR has no RF "pass through." What happens if one wants to watch an analog cable channel with the DVR OFF? Is no signal passed? Must a DVR always be turned on to watch TV? (I have never used a DVR.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
schandorsky,

I am as skeptical as you are on the subject. I KNOW there are DVDR's that have coaxial input and output...I see no reason why some DHDR or combo DVD-HDR do not have the same...but since there are so few of them, it is tough to check them out on the shelves. TIVO is not the entire story here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have to think that once the digital conversion kicks into full gear next year that people are going to be screaming for the QAM equivalent of their NTSC VCR's, and will want to be able to buy one for between $100 and $200, without being required to RENT one from their cable company, or buying a TIVO. Simple timed recording capability only, or some device that uses free guides like Guide+.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowher /forum/post/13531236

I have to think that once the digital conversion kicks into full gear next year that people are going to be screaming for the QAM equivalent of their NTSC VCR's, and will want ...

But what will they be willing to pay for?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts