AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a longer read but here it goes.

In college my room mates and I projected an Infocus onto a cinder block wall painted white, an approx 150+" image via xbox 360. At that point the projector bug bit.

More recently I moved home (graduated college, in the process of working my way into law enforcement) purchased a Mitsubishi HC5500 with a Elite EzScreen 100" for very cheap (1500+ hours on the bulb) and decided to sell it with hopes of selling it for enough money to purchase a P65S2 Panasonic Plasma because I was disappointed with color, brightness, day time viewing etc. I learned quickly that my price point was way off in regards to selling the 5500. That is when I discovered the Epson 8350.

I was able to purchase an 8350 from the money I sold the HC5500 "bundle" for and then came here to read up and meet the Mr. MM himself.

I somehow have been able to convince my parents to allow the painting of the wall and am going for a 122" 16:9 screen with the RS-MaxxMudd combination for moderate ambient light (not necessarily due to the fact there will be a ton of light, but because of the amount of brightness I come across with the properties of the room)

As of right now the setup consists of:

Epson 8350 / 15' shelf mount

122" 16:9 screen painted on wall with MM's RS-MaxxMudd

Small Accurian amp pushing home made bookshelf speakers

a dayton 120 HT subwoofer

xbox 360 / PS3 / Macbook with DVI to HDMI

I am going to post pics starting this evening of what I am doing with hopes of maybe one day being able to help someone else in a similar situation ( I like to call it: Ballin' on a budget)

My room is painted an eggshell white, with white ceilings, and a grey area rug. I have been able to control almost all the ambient light with blackout shades before attempting anything else as of MM's advice

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Suck it up and in. By the second coat of Gray Primer, it will look better and/or your issues if any will be known.

And keep in mind the 1st & 2nd coats of the Finish paints will also look uneven so expect such and don't Fear the Reaper. Suicide is painless.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19607667

Suck it up and in. By the second coat of Gray Primer, it will look better and/or your issues if any will be known.

And keep in mind the 1st & 2nd coats of the Finish paints will also look uneven so expect such and don't Fear the Reaper. Suicide is painless.

Did the 2nd grey coat and it looks better. But not great, I'm going to attack the wall with the sanding sponge later today. How many coats of paint have to go on a wall before any wood grain can be seen? The coats I did were pretty light with the 9" foam roller.

If I can get the wall looking nice I am going to get the rest of the supplies for the final paint, but MM, what needs to change now because I'm rolling? Still very nervous.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19608060

Did the 2nd grey coat and it looks better. But not great, I'm going to attack the wall with the sanding sponge later today. How many coats of paint have to go on a wall before any wood grain can be seen? The coats I did were pretty light with the 9" foam roller.

If I can get the wall looking nice I am going to get the rest of the supplies for the final paint, but MM, what needs to change now because I'm rolling? Still very nervous.

I caught the "wood grain" business the other day. I almost cried.

Bud, you need to apply a THICK coat of primer....several times. And don't bother sanding until you cannot see the Wood Grain. At all.

To even consider rolling on a High contrast Paint like RS-MaxxMudd LL onto a surface where any underlying grain can be seen would condemn the process to futility.

Now I have done exactly that....and onto Raw Plywood....not smoother paneling, so it's not impossible. But it has to be come correctly, and in this case, instead of floating a skim coat of Drywall Compound onto the area, you have to almost "lather" on the Primer. And use a 1/2" Nap Roller for this. Get the stuff up thick. Give yourself more than a few microns to sand on and smooth.

Be patient, and simply do what needs to be done to prep out the surface. Don't rush.....just do it. But be certain....absolutely so....that the thick coating of Primer is COMPLETELY DRY before you start sanding or you will scratch and gouge it terribly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picture update:

First two are just views of my projector room. Stairs lead downstairs, black out curtain blocks 90% of the ambient light that come from sliding glass doors up on a small landing. Other window will have some type of blind. As you can see this is a multi-purpose room. Some times it will be dark and used as a theater, other times I have people over to watch the game play pool / shoot darts, with most of the lights on. Projector goes on that stand with the black top behind the sofa, about 5' off the ground and 14' from the wall. Screen will be approx 122" diagonal when done.

Second Picture is the screen roughly taped up and all the small holes patched up in the wall. (32" Plasma looks tiny)

Third picture is after 2 coats of grey primer, but I put those on with a foam roller. Switched over to a 1/2" nap roller and really coated it on (got an extra gallon) and am probably going to do close to 6-8 coats of grey before I start sanding and then going to my base white. Reason being is that wall is wood paneling, have to have a nice solid base to start on before I start the actual screen painting.

Black Ops....yeahhhhhhh.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am on my 4th heavy coat (1/2" nap roller) of gray primer after doing two light coats (foam), and with the overhead lights on I can still see some of the paneling. I am still able to make out grain in the wood as well as where I fixed up the wall. I am not sure weather to just keep priming until NO wood grain is visible or to try and sand the wood down. I guess I will keep priming until im out of paint, then focus on sanding. So far used a 1 quart can of gray and am about 1/3 of the way through a 1 gallon container.

Although right now seeing the grain with the lights on is discouraging, in the spots where the light isnt hitting directly, the wall looks a lot more like a screen than a wall.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19611878

I am on my 4th heavy coat (1/2" nap roller) of gray primer after doing two light coats (foam), and with the overhead lights on I can still see some of the paneling. I am still able to make out grain in the wood as well as where I fixed up the wall. I am not sure weather to just keep priming until NO wood grain is visible or to try and sand the wood down. I guess I will keep priming until im out of paint, then focus on sanding. So far used a 1 quart can of gray and am about 1/3 of the way through a 1 gallon container.

Although right now seeing the grain with the lights on is discouraging, in the spots where the light isnt hitting directly, the wall looks a lot more like a screen than a wall.

It's a tough call, but be advised that if adding primer doesn't cover, sanding off primer will only "uncover" what you've already "covered". Then you'll have to sand the "uncovered" wood.

Might be time to "Pull the Covers" over this attempt and revert back to Sintra before someone has to "Pull the Covers" over your expired carcass.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, its official. I'm throwing in the towel on this painted wall. I thought after a final thick coat last night (and letting it dry all night) perhaps I wouldn't see any wood grain when i woke up this morning. I was wrong. Im going to use a leather working tool to cut the grooves back into the wall in between the paneling and then slap a fresh coat of paint on the entire wall (thankfully it needed it anyway, so my parents shouldn't be tooooooo pissed)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sintra is ordered. 5'x10' sheet cut to 106" for a 16:9 with a 116" diagonal give or take depending on the frame.

Now waiting on the MM to advise what to do once I pick up this sheet tomorrow. Glossy side of the Sintra. I can either roll inside or try spraying outside in a non heated garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wise decision to spray in a warmer room... My number one learning about spraying is to avoid doing it in cool room temperature at all price... Otherwise you'll have runs garanteed...

Side of the Sintra shouldn't matter. I couldn't tell a difference between the 2 sides so I just picked the one in the best shape.

Don't know what you are planning on for the frame, but remember to calculate your 16/9 ratio based on your final "viewable" screen surface if some of the back frame will cover the Sintra. If you have say a 2" overlap of the frame on top of the Sintra on the left, right, bottom and left of the screen, then your "viewable" surface is no longer 16/9 with the dimensions you mentioned... Right now, you're at 16/9 only if the frame doesn't overlap at all on top of the Sintra. (Overlap depends on how you're planning on fixing the Sintra to the wall, and also on whether or not you're trying to get the biggest screen possible based on your 60" maximum height.)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt even consider that with the frame. I bought 32' of 2" thick felt tape and was going to border the screen (and cover up the handing screws) with that, but doing 2" all the way around the border doesn't leave me with 16:9.

Maybe someone could crunch these numbers for me, im getting a headache. If i get the piece cut at 107", that leaves me with 107"x60". If i then run a 2"piece of felt down the top and bottom of the screen and a 1.25" piece along the sides, it should leave me with a 103"x57.5" which is 16:9....

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19616366

I didnt even consider that with the frame. I bought 32' of 2" thick felt tape and was going to border the screen (and cover up the handing screws) with that, but doing 2" all the way around the border doesn't leave me with 16:9.

Maybe someone could crunch these numbers for me, im getting a headache. If i get the piece cut at 107", that leaves me with 107"x60". If i then run a 2"piece of felt down the top and bottom of the screen and a 1.25" piece along the sides, it should leave me with a 103"x57.5" which is 16:9....

That's close enough.

So Pop sez ya can spray inside. Cool...er warm! Well we gotta make sure he doesn't have a reason later to open up a Can-o-whoop on ya!

Plastic Sheeting cost very little. Home Depot sells a 2-pack of .7 mil 9' x 12' sheets for $6.00. It doesn't take too many of those to drape an entire room's out fittings. When yer dun, just wad up and toss out!

Using pre-Taped 24" (or 48" Plastic to edge in around the Screen is what I use all the time. It comes in a dispensing roll w/Cutting edge. When you apply it across the top edge of the screen (on the wall at screen's edge) if you curl up a bunch of "Blue" Tape tabs and stick 'em onto the wall/ceiling intersection, and up on the ceiling above, you can get the thin plastic to cover the ceiling directly above the screen. I'd not overlook that. Go at least 2' out onto the Ceiling.

Basically, by covering everything in close proximity to the Top/Bottom/Sides of the Screen...and the Floor directly underneath as well, you eliminate almost all concerns.

Putting a Fan in a window helps a lot, but you have to seal the area around it with cardboard or something or it will actually suck air in at the sides.

I want you to feel free to call me (...look to your PM....) for some detailed advice on spraying because with no experience and "The Pop" looming in the distance, I don't want you to have any "Oh Crap" moments. Or Pain. Or need to go looking for a room somewhere.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PM replied. Don't worry about Pops, he is a closet DIY'er for most things, and into this type of project. Its Mom looming upstairs that we BOTH worry about. The room we are spraying in is a workroom (aka utility room, no one goes in there) So we are going to do our best to keep it clean, if we don't, that's ok too. I just need to move some furniture to make sure that we can get the Sintra out with VERY minimal bending once the paint is on it.

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19616366

That should leave you with an approx. 118" screen. or if you did just one inch of overlap on each side, and a half inch on top/bottom, then you will still get your 120" (with length side staying at 60")

I am personally getting the sheet cut down on all sides as requested to end up with 110" diagonal but to ensure a fresh cut edge as well as non'dented corners. but thats just my 2sense heh.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Sintra is in the house...what a freaking car ride. Does one need to worry about the slightest imperfections in the sheet. There may be a scratch here or there that is so small you cant feel it. Im guessing between 3-5 coats of mudd is going to fill that just fine.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19621930

The Sintra is in the house...what a freaking car ride. Does one need to worry about the slightest imperfections in the sheet. There may be a scratch here or there that is so small you cant feel it. Im guessing between 3-5 coats of mudd is going to fill that just fine.

If you can't feel it....it's a "Mar Mark" not a scratch.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19624914

If you can't feel it....it's a "Mar Mark" not a scratch.

That's all it is... Sintra is laying on the carpeted floor downstairs with some text books on it getting It nice and flat after being in the car. Painting is either going down Sunday or Monday. Probably both. I need pointers! How many coats approximately has anyone been doing? 2 dusters and 2-3 heavy?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts