AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Old Timers. Any of you still using the old DVTransfer application as well as perhaps DVHSTool? To jog your memory, DVTransfer was an application developed by MrPinKY back in 2001 timeframe to store and restore HDTV mpeg2 .ts files on Digitial8 tape using a regular digital camcorder. DVHSTool then allowed you to play these files, though it was also designed primarily to archive and restore from DVHS decks.

The reason I ask is that I have quite the library of HD content on Digital8 tapes. About 100 movies. I do still watch them from time to time, but lately the DVTransfer app has been flakey. It will only restore to a USB stick, not to any of my hard drives. It gives 0x80004005 error any time I try to restore to any hard drive or networked drive on my system. I tried USB stick for the heck of it, and it worked.

I do not see MrPinKY around anymore, so was curious if anyone else was still using this app and perhaps has a work around?

Here is the link to the original thread:

DVTransfer

And some more background:

HERE

Bpearse

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did find a solution that I wanted to share with anyone still using this old Digital8 archive technology. Apparently DVTransfer works fine with any FAT32 formatted drive. I believe it used to work with NTFS on prior service packs of XP, but with the latest updates it only works with FAT32. So I just created a 100G FAT32 partition to restore movies to (they are rarely more than 15G) and then copy over to an NTFS if I want to keep a copy.

I am impressed with how good this process still works. It really brings back memories. What a kluge we used to have for recording HDTV!:

Dish 5000 receiver => Dish HD Modulator => HiPix OTA card => 144 MB .ts files on hard disk => Digital8 Tape via DVTransfer application

But I watched a old copy of Chicken Run that I recorded off of HBO many years ago. It was a nearly perfect copy and looked incredibly crisp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.