Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My DWIN HD 700 January 2000 Built’s Red Gun stopped working today - I am wondering wether this is normal due to age.

I will be sending the projector to DWIN on Monday to repair/replace the red gun.

Here are some of the thoughts/questions.

(a)It may be a good idea to ask DWIN to check hours on the other two guns and see if these need to be replaced too.

(b)If any new type of guns are available ( color corrected etc ) it may be a good idea to ask DWIN to install them.

(c)Use a ISF certified person to install the projector when it comes back from DWIN to get the correct installation – I do not know if there is a good DWIN installer in Houston – DWIN should know.

Will appreciate any comments – any way to troubleshoot the green gun!!

Ash

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ash Sharma
Hi,

My DWIN HD 700 January 2000 Built’s Red Gun stopped working today - I am wondering wether this is normal due to age.

I will be sending the projector to DWIN on Monday to repair/replace the red gun.

Here are some of the thoughts/questions.

(a)It may be a good idea to ask DWIN to check hours on the other two guns and see if these need to be replaced too.

(b)If any new type of guns are available ( color corrected etc ) it may be a good idea to ask DWIN to install them.

(c)Use a ISF certified person to install the projector when it comes back from DWIN to get the correct installation – I do not know if there is a good DWIN installer in Houston – DWIN should know.

Will appreciate any comments – any way to troubleshoot the green gun!!

Ash
What's normal may depend on how you have setup your projector. For example, say you run the contrast high - this will decrease your CRTs life!

Me, with my PS Audio P600 Multiwave 2 powering my Dwin HD-700, two years ago when brand new John Gannon ISFed and set contrast at 10

(preset of 50 on 100 scale). Now, two years later, also using Wireworld Gold Starlight III+ (silver) video cabling and Granite Audio power cords,

instead of my projector needing a normal contrast boost, ISFer Michael Hamilton set contrast to 0.

Your problem could be a tube, it could be something else, you need to let Dwin diagose and fix the problem. Don't jump to conclusions re tubes. While your projector is in for service, ask them about tube wear and life and you can decide if you want to pay them to retube the projector. Any replacement tubes/guns will be unchanged from before. The projector came with color corrected lens. However, I changed those out for color filtered lens from USPL which I obtained direct from USPL and which Gannon installed when we initially setup the projector. You may want to look up the few threads at this forum back about two years ago discussing this. There is a penalty of light output with the color filtered red and green lens, but my screen is 80" wide and room totally dark, plus all my tweaks, hence even with color filtered lens my contrast is set at - 0!!!!!!

If you have never had the projector properly setup and ISFed by a top notch calibrator, it will be a real treat!!! Check the ISF thread at the AVS Special Guests forum to get info on ISFers and where they work for someone hopefully in your area. Or e-mail me and I'll forward it to Michael Hamilton, who just re-ISFed me here in Phoenix, and maybe he'll know someone in that area.

****One more thing you need to check. The red gun will stop working if say the video cable has a broken connection. This can happen. Try connecting the video cable from say the blue gun to the red terminal and see if the red gun works. If it does, then its merely a bad cable. And let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

Thanks for the response - I tried switching the blue signal to red but no luck - tube is dead.

Not to bash DWIN but I have had many problems with this projector - I initially bought a HD500 in March 1998 which broke down so often that they gave me a HD 700 in Jan 2000.

This HD 700 has gone in for repairs at least two times in year 2000 and 2001 (I forget what problems but once it was power transformer outage). It has worked without problems in 2002 and 2003.

My Transcanner has made two trips to California since 1998.

If it was not for DWIN extraordinarily good customer support I would not reccomend DWIN to anyone.

I am pretty sure it is not me - I have a lot of other gear Aerials - CB2 with three extreme dacs etc but have had no problems.

I do love the projector it displays a great picture. Also, I am waiting for Digital projectors to get to the quality level of CRT before I would replace the DWIN - guess in three years.

If Michael knows a good ISF person I would love to know, this may be a good time as the projector has to come down for repaurs any way.

Thanks,

Ash

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
I've e-mailed Michael and will let you know if he has anyone he can recommend in Houston area. Or maybe he'd like to take a Texax vacation

(like Chevy Chase's "European Vacation"? HAA!)

I haven't had one problem with my Dwin HD-700 CRT and Transcanner 2 the past more than two years since I got them. I guess knock on wood!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had the same experience. However, mine has not been the gun but the Transcanner. As has already been stated, quality of Dwin products has not been the best from my experience. I too have returned the 700 a couple of times (1st when it started smoking and literally shorted out an area on the board melting some solder joints and another time it just stopped working). Have also returned the Transcanner a couple of times, the last of which required a planer board replacement).

Recently, over the past 1/2 year I would notice that about 20 minutes into using the system the red would disappear from view. Since the Transcanner is closeby I thought to see if it was a cabling problem. Since all inputs were affected though pass-through worked, I could only surmise it is something internal to the Transcanner. And I've noticed that changing inputs would, on occasion, leave me with what I can only describe as some sort of syncing problems. Usually a good rap on the top of the unit fixes either/both problems. I've yet to return the unit until I can get either consistent failures or total failure.

All I can say: when it works I'm very happy and would not trade it for any comparable setup. Just frustrating that it doesn't always perform well. That's why I've hesitated to get it ISF'ed...never know where the system stands. I guess in a few years DLP will be more to my liking, though I don't think I'll ever "see" true blacks. But at least it will be more user-friendly. Just have to wait for shallower throw distances to allow for the 100" diag I'd like to see in a 16x9, among other things.:(

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
My current Dwin HD-700 CRT and Transcanner 2, which I've had for two years and two months now, has been problem free. (Time to knock and wood and pray. I shouldn't have posted this, might cause me bad luck!!):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought my HD700/TS2 new about a year and a half ago. It's been absolutely flawless. 'Probably should get it ISF'd though. Steve, do you think we could coax John back from Michigan??

Dave

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
John is pretty busy up there. Now no one is better than John. But its just impractical for John to make it all the way down here given his schedule.

Michael Hamilton here in Phoenix just recently re-ISFed my setup (I did a lengthy report at this forum the other month, just do a search in this forum for "Hamilton" and you'll find it) and Michael did a great job. I needed re-ISFing as it had been two years since Gannon did it, and I had changed video cabling and power cords which improved my picture, and after re-ISFing the picture was even better (with Gannon contrast set at 10 now reduced to 0). If you e-mail me, then I'll do an e-mail to Michael with a copy to you.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recieved my repaired HD 700 from DWIN a few weeks ago I was told a Circuit board had gone out.

Roger at Dwin told me that he had put new connecters which hold convergence better.

I find that now the red convergence is slightly off and needs to be tweaked all the time

This is definitely not the projector on which I will spend ISf money.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
My Dwin CRT hardly ever needs reconvergence. It frankly goes to proper setup, tightening of internal stuff, etc. that a real competent ISFer can do. At least that was my experience, cause once Gannon got his hands on my setup back in Nov. 2000, convergence was seldom thereafter.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Milne
I bought my HD700/TS2 new about a year and a half ago. It's been absolutely flawless. 'Probably should get it ISF'd though. Steve, do you think we could coax John back from Michigan??
John came down here to Atlanta back in August and worked on my hd700 for about 14 hours.....he did a FANTASTIC job!!! The image is nothing short of STUNNING!

and on top off all that, he really is a great person

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.