AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a CRT projector for my Den/Home Theater and am considering a Dwin HD700. There are many recommendations for Sony, NEC and El/Marquee projectors on this forum but virtually no mention of Dwin products. Why?

I have seen the Dwin unit and am impressed by it's small size and extremely quiet operation. Brightness is not a major concern for me as my room is quite dark. The unit seems to be manufactured well and the picture quality was impressive (at least to me) when coupled w/ a Dwin TranScanner 2 scaler.

Opinions please?:confused:

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Many of us here use the HD-700. I guess it doesn't get talked about because it's not considered 'manly' enough by many. But it's a good unit, light, small, and quiet. It's not going to provide the image of an 8" or 9" system, but it's a darned good image.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dean,

Thanks for the reply. I always enjoyed the Dwin demo at CES, and it looks like they manufacture quality products. I have 2 additional questions:

1- How well does Dwin support and service their product. I know that all of their CRT models are discontinued, but do they provide adequate support?

2- Are parts (CRTs, magnetics, boards) readily available for the Dwin?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Horse,

I've a Dwin HDP-500, the predecessor to the HD-700. Almost the same, but no fans, and the focusing system is a bit different. It's a wonderful picture, but make sure you get it calibrated by someone who is ISF certified and practicing. I've had mine for almost 5 years, and here is the reliability history:

The power supply went over a year ago, and I was able to remove a half dozen screws (Dwin talks you through it), unplug one cable, and send the power supply in. Repair was about $150 plus shipping one way. I received it back about 10 days later, and it worked okay, but failed again 3 months later. This time I paid shipping one way, but they felt they should have caught the cause of the 2nd failure the first time it came in, so no charge. Then the Transcanner failed about 3 months ago (well I thought it was the projector, but they diagnosed the problem over the phone as pointing to the transcanner), so I sent it in, and they fixed it.

One thing about my model, but i don't know if it effects the hd-700, but a couple times a year, the guns start "jumping" (blue mostly, sometimes red), and you have to open it up (2 screws) unplug the blue/red/green main cables and plug them back in a few times,. This cleans some oxidation that takes place over time and then it's fine.

The convergence drifts quite a bit when the unit is new, requiring convergence about once a month, but it's a) easy and b) takes about 15 minutes using the remote. After a few years, you'll only want to converge every 2-3 months, if that.

That's my experience. I go to Vegas almost every year, and even after seeing multi$$$ 9" guns, I come back to a picture that is incredibly detailed. I'd do it again. in fact, even though I'm about to get a plasma, if my Dwin ever went, I'd get another CRT projector.

Final point: I'm using a 78" wide 16x9 screen (89" diag), and the light level, even after 5 years, is very good, "even" when it's properly calibrated. But I wouldn't go wider than that. I use a Stewart Studiotek 130 and am very pleased.

Fred Manteghian

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Im also using a Dwin HD700. I love it. I think it does perform as well as some of the 8" crts. This thing is bright and has a very stable power supply. It does not breath when going from a dark to bright scene.

I took a set of color corrected lens off a NEC XG projector and had Dwin install them for me.

Small foot print, quiet, plenty of memories for lots of aspect ratios and resolutions, easy to setup.

Im running mine on a Stewart 9 foot wide curved screen with their platinum material. Platinum is almost like a silver material but a little more easier to maintain. My picture looks back lite and I run my contrast on 10. These tubes should last me for a few years.

Great little projector. I wish they were still making it. Glad to see some other Dwin crt users on the forum.

HB go for it. You will love it.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
You don't see the DWIN 500 or 700 mentioned here since they're simply not as prolific on the used/refurbed market.

These $20-50KUSD Barco/Sony/NEC/Marquee's that we're all talking about were bought by corporations for years and years and are now available on the used/refurbed market for 1/10th the original price as corporations move to digital projectors. These are that the CRT projectors that 90% of us around here use.

Some of the resellers will sometimes have a 500/700 come up, but rarely. Same goes for Ebay/Videogon. You'll see one from time to time.

The 500/700 were manufactured specifically for home theater use - most are probably still in use by their original owners!

I sat right beside an HD-500 at a Montreal hifi show some years back, other then a bit of high voltage 'pinging' (due to the new tubes - goes away after a few hundred hours), the silence put forth by the thing was amazing. They were demo'ing the first 5 minutes of Contact where the camera slowly pulls away from the earth and there's 1-2 minutes of absolute silence.

Kal

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I've had a HD-700 for four years now along with a Transcanner. I would agree with all the comments, especially w/r/t brightness and quietness. I have a 1.3 gain Draper, 116" wide 16X9 screen which, despite it's size, still gives me a nice picture.

As far as reliability I had a power supply go bad at around 1300 hrs. There was no problem in getting a replacement from DWIN and they went through the installation step by step over the phone.

Unfortunately, unlike others here, I haven't seen a lot of other CRT's to make any comparisons. There just aren't that many people who own or sell CRT's. However, having seen countless rear projection TV's and quite a few digital projectors I can safely say that a properly setup DWIN and sound system, will give you an awesome HT. Your friends will come over and go... "whoa".

Regards,

John

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Interesting that two Dwin owners have mentioned that they've had to replace their power supplies... Two posts isn't enough to draw any conclusion on reliability obviously, but I'm curious: Is there (was there?) a known problem with Dwin power supplies?

Kal

·
Registered
21,608 Posts
The HD-500 was finicky with its power supply - I had one, too. But now for 3.25 years I've not had one issue with my Dwin HD-700 at all.

(PS - I've upgraded scalers so my Dwin TS2 is for sale if anyone's interested, e -mail me at [email protected] . The TS2 has

three sets of component video inputs/high definition component video - unit auto senses if signal is 480i, then will scale to whatever 3 of lines you set; or if a 480p, 720p or 1080i signal is input will auto sense and pass through that signal, of course with conversion from component to RGB H/V Sync or RGB Composite Sync. Also has two 15 pin HD pass through inputs as well. And two composite video and two S-Video inputs. If you have multiple HD or progressive DVD sources this units works great and avoid you're needing to use an external component/high definition component switcher.)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've not had any troubles either. I don't remember how long I've had it, since I have no long term memory (or is it short term? I can't remember), but maybe Alan does since I bought it from him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gentlemen,

Thanks to all of you for your informative comments. I am still seriously considering an HD700 + TS2, but I have located a deal on a new Barco Cine 7 LT and I need to do a more thorough comparison of the two units.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had a HD700/transcanner 2 combo for 3-4 years.

I have had the power supply go out ... it was easy to remove and the Dwin service department fixed it quickly and for a very reasonable fee.

I have not seen any "digital" projector produce a more film like image.

I always feel like my eyes are being asked to be a digital to analog converter when I watch a DLP or LCD projector. I also find them noisey.

I know that they have advantages in the size and price area (replacement lamps aside!!!) and I suppose some day I will have to give up the CRT ghost.

I have had front projection systems in my home for 30 years (Advent, Kloss, Vidikron and Dwin) so I guess I am an old dye hard.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had the HD700 with TS2 for a few years now and it's been flawless. I had to touch up the convergence a couple of times early on... but I haven't tweaked it for at least a year and it's right on. It's a great little machine. Every now and then I think about upgrading to a 9", but the Dwin throws a darn nice picture on my Draper 1.3 52x92 screen in a perfectly light-controlled room. Occasionally I have friends over from the "bulb" camp and they can't believe the inky blacks and three-dimensional image.

Overclkr, I'll try to post some screen shots when I get a few minutes...

Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
In case anybody's still reading this thread, I also had my power supply go out on my HD-700 a few months ago (prior to that, the power supply was prone to making a noticable buzzing sound when it was put under strain because of high light/dark contrast across the vertical plane such as a morning mountain sunrise with dark mountains below and bright sky above). Anyway, DWIN support was very helpful in getting me to remove it (without dismounting the projector, thank goodness) and did replace it for their base repair rate. All the claims about how good DWIN support is held true in this experience!

Quote:
Originally posted by kal
Interesting that two Dwin owners have mentioned that they've had to replace their power supplies... Two posts isn't enough to draw any conclusion on reliability obviously, but I'm curious: Is there (was there?) a known problem with Dwin power supplies?

Kal

·
Registered
73 Posts
This reply is a bit late but I might as well toss in my experience as well for anyone who stumbles on this later:

I have had an LD-500 and its companion LD2 line doubler since November 1996. Both have worked flawlessly (and silently). I have the pj ceiling mounted and with only the lenses below ceiling level, it almost disappears into the drop ceiling panels. I use a Stewart Studio Tek 130 screen (80"x45"). A year ago, as part of an HDTV upgrade, I replaced the LD2 with a Focus Enhancements CS-2 scaler. I run the combination at 720p under the theory that this will give me the greatest brightness but I do not know if this is correct.

My theater is part of a lower level recreation room with some large windows. Viewing during daylight hours is not the best but at night, the brightness is more than adequate.

Ron B.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.