AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinon on these two projectors. Iam currently looking at the Dwin HDP500 and the NEC 9PG. I will be using an HTPC as my scaler for DVD and NTSC Analog and a Dish 6000 for HD. I am moving from a 1271Q and want the purchase to be a step up in image quality.

Both have similar hours (

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I don't know for absolute sure, but I'm pretty sure the Dwin only has ES focus, as such it will not come close to the sharpness you will get from the EM focussed NEC. With HD and HTPC, you can use all the sharpness available.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The Dwin gives a slightly brighter image, the NEC has color filtered lenses for much better colors. The Dwin is completely silent with no fans, it weighs 65 lbs., and has a rather small footprint. The NEC has roughly (45 decibels) worth of fans, weighs ~125lbs., and is larger in size to the NEC. The Dwin is very user friendly to setup, the NEC has more fine tuning adjustments but is a little harder to setup.

Both are great projectors. I own a NEC 6PG and it's one of the best 7" CRT projectors around. I would take the NEC over the Dwin only because I really, really enjoy the colors from the NEC CRT projectors. Reds look Red (not orange-ish), and Greens look Green (not yellow-ish).

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
Color filtered lens really make a difference.

I established a trade-in program with USPL, where

you pay $1,000 for the HD-145 red and green ECP color

filtered lens for the Dwin CRT projectors, and you get

$400 refunded upon sending them your old lens.

But this will still end up costing you $600 extra.

I must say that if you are willing to keep your screen size

to about 72" wide, you will get fantastic picture quality with

the NEC assuming that it comes with color filtered lens standard.

(And I'm a Dwin luver.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.