AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local HT dealer has one set up and running. Could someone impart some wisdom to me? I would like to know what the advantages of an outbopard processor are (i.e; Dwin vs. Marantz)? And also how Dwins processing stands up to the Farouja/Pixelworks that Marantz uses and other outboard processors available. Thanks for your input. It will be extremely helpful in my choice.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The outboard unit of the DWIN is NOT a processor but merely a video switcher. If you have a HT with only a projector as a display it makes for short interconnects between your sources and the switcher with only a single long cable to the actual projector, very handy.

However if you have a direct view or plasma for day viewing and use the projector for evening viewing its less of an advantage.

The projector DWIN was showing at CES seemed in the same general image quality as the Marantz and Seleco. It will take a while for enough comparisons to be made between them to draw any useful conclusions.

Have you heard any final pricing from your dealer? List/Quote?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Carl. I believe the list on the Dwin is $11k, no upcharge for a longthrow. I will confirm that today. As far as a demo (Dreamstate), I am going to see it today and will post a report tonight.

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,615 Posts
Hi Folks,

What's going on? At the end of last week, on another thread, it was reported that callers to the DWIN factory were being told that the units were not shipping until mid-June.

Is there a way to confirm what's really going on?

Thanks,

John G

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
John G,

The BEST way to tell whats really going on is to simply call DWIN. Everything else is second or third hand. Sometimes someone can hear what they wanted to hear not what the company wanted to convey. Sometimes they get the right answer to the wrong question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The outboard unit is definitely a processor not just a switcher. The unit lists at $14k approximately. It is shipping soon but backordered until the end of June for current orders. Opinions are that it is not quite as filmlike a picture as the Marantz or Seleco according to those who saw it at CES. Atlantic Stereo in Costa Mesa California supposedly has one setup in their showroom.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
I am going to see it today and will post a report tonight.
Please do.Could you also take note of how loud(quiet) the pj is?

Thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
At a show is not the proper place to make a purchase decision, especially when a product is suseptable to being knocked around, adjusted to suit personal taste, etc., and not properly calibrated and put out of the way of multiple hands.

I would suggest that many of Dwin's delays since CES is due to continued engineering and changes to the unit. All delays have not been related to the manufacturing process alone. I would think the product will be a bit different at release then it was in its early prototype stages at CES.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabe 71
The outboard unit is definitely a processor not just a switcher. The unit lists at $14k approximately. It is shipping soon but backordered until the end of June for current orders. Opinions are that it is not quite as filmlike a picture as the Marantz or Seleco according to those who saw it at CES. Atlantic Stereo in Costa Mesa California supposedly has one setup in their showroom.

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,615 Posts
Hi Folks,

As Carl suggested, I called DWIN today (Tues, 5-28-02, 1:35pm PST). According to the lady who answered the phones, "The new projectors will be shipping to dealers during the 3rd week of June". This is what was posted on another thread last week.

Gabe, who is this dealer who has a unit? Are you SURE it is the Transvision Two and not the One? It seems peculiar that one dealer has actually received one of the new models when the factory says they are NOT shipping to dealers for another 3+ weeks.

Good Viewing,

John G

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am REALLY confused. I thought the MSRP on the Transvision two was going to be around $10k, with an expected street price of $8k +/-.

I don't see the advantage of Dwin coming out with another $14 DLP when the Seleco and Marantz are selling for less. Reed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Can we all stop posting bad information? Dwin has NOT stated a MSRP nor have dealers been provided their cost yet in order to be able to tell us what the street price is. Sheesh - we're all frustrated and anxious for this release. In the meantime, let's just wait and see.

I too spoke to Dwin today and concur that the release is now set for the 3rd week in June.

The MSRP point they are aiming for is that of the Sharp. Use that as a guide and figure out what the discounts will be based on what the rest of the market is doing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Reed W
I am REALLY confused. I thought the MSRP on the Transvision two was going to be around $10k, with an expected street price of $8k +/-.

I don't see the advantage of Dwin coming out with another $14 DLP when the Seleco and Marantz are selling for less. Reed.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
SteinyD

The reason for most of the conflicting information being posted is DWIN. Back at CES they promised a production rollout in February with a list price I think of $13,000.

About 2 months ago Alan Gouger here at AVS made a post that "here it is and it will list for only $10k". He surely didn't make up the reduction in price, he got it straight from DWIN. They have changed their story every month since CES. Thats whats causing the confusion.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm the last guy to want to defend Dwin. I completed my theatre in March and made decisions based on their ANTICIPATED release date. However, to defend them for just a moment...

I have not seen them post or market any definitive release dates. The dates that they have provided, albeit ever changing, have been projected (pardon the pun) and estimated dates. I don't think any of us could hold them to a commited date as they have not given one. We're all disappointed that they underestimate the work involved with bringing a product to production as they have significantly missed in setting our expectations.

However, I again say (said it in another thread), I would rather have a product that has gone through rigorous testing and eliminates as many issues before release as possible. I'm sure they could test forever and continue to uncover issues. I don't think there is anyone anymore anxious to get a product to market than Dwin. Whatever the current issue that is delaying the release by several more weeks, it must be significant enough to hold up production.

As to the price, my apologies. I didn't see anyone post a definitive MSRP from Dwin. At each conversastion that I have had with Jeff at Dwin, he is non-committal. If I throw a price out he'll only state that it will be somewhere around there ($10k).

Until its released and Dwin posts definitive information on their website I believe the rest is speculation on our own part.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Brinkman
SteinyD

The reason for most of the conflicting information being posted is DWIN. Back at CES they promised a production rollout in February with a list price I think of $13,000.

About 2 months ago Alan Gouger here at AVS made a post that "here it is and it will list for only $10k". He surely didn't make up the reduction in price, he got it straight from DWIN. They have changed their story every month since CES. Thats whats causing the confusion.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I doubt the unit at the dealer's store was a Transvission II. The outboard box on the upcoming unit and the old unit is a switcher/controller not a processor. The list price will be a little over $10K for the high wattage bulb model. Jeff gave me a "firm price" for the low and high wattage units. Of course a "firm price" can change. The Transvission I was priced about $13K or so. I don't remember exactly. The picture on the new unit will be superior than what was shown at CES. Rather than speculate, let's cool it for 3 weeks. We will all know then.

·
Registered
683 Posts
SteinyD - I am really not trying to post "bad information" in regards to the price of the new Dwin DLP. As Carl pointed out I was repeating the numbers Alan Gouger quoted a few weeks ago. I assume Alan knows what he is talking about.

This much is a given - Dwin makes excellent products. They will not release this new projector until it performs up to their standards. Good things are worth waiting for. Reed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know jack spit. Jason is a dealer. He is honest, knowledgeable and shoots straight. As much intergrity as any dealer I have met. He will give you the best information. Even Dwin may spin a little. Jason will be helpful. I regret I said anything now. But I was being told that Atlantic Stereo has the unit on the floor. Sorry if I opened a hornets nest.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Gabe - not to worry. This always happens before the release of a highly anticipated new product - mass confusion.

I agree with you, contact the good folks here at AVS, they will have as much information as anyone.

Bottom line - anyone considering the purchase of a digital projector in the next few months should wait and audition the Dwin, along with the Seleco, Marantz, Sharp, Runco........ Reed.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hi Gabe,

You wrote that you were going to see a demo yesterday at your local dealer. Can you update us?

Thanks,

John G

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.