AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Boxlight MP-38T and a TS2 at the same time. After setting up both, the MP-38T reported 'Mode 1" when watching anything with S-Video or 480i componant input. I'm using a 5 BNC/VGA cable to connect the two.

After installing an HD satellite receiver, the MP-38T reported 1080i when using that input.

I then got the X-Box HD pack and used the componant input (the only games I have now are 480p). The MP-38T reported VGA for this input.

Now, I just got a progressive DVD player and get VGA for this one also.

My question is, am I now using the TS2 as a very expensive componant switcher? It seems that the HD and progressive signals are just being passed through with no scaling. The MP-38T does have componant inputs.

I am very happy with the picture quality as it is now, but if I'm not using the TS2 as it was intended I could sell it and get a componant switcher (or try a mechanical composite switcher as I hear that works too :).

Thanks for any information you may have.

Jim

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
I have the Dwin HD-700 CRT and Dwin Transcanner 2.

The TS2 has as you know two 15 pin VGA/HD inputs. These inputs take in whatever 1080i/720p/480p signal and output them unchanged, except for some RGB amplification.

The TS2 also has three component video inputs. These inputs auto sense if the incoming signal is 480i and then scale to whatever scan rate you have set, meaning that the incoming analog 480i NTSC signal is converted to digital, scaled to whatever scan rate you have set, then converted back to analog, then RGB amplified. Or if the video signal is 480p/720p/1080i, then the component input will in analog fashion convert the incoming signal from component to RGB but otherwise pass through the signal and also apply RGB amplification.

Now you have the info to decide to what extent the TS2 fills your needs or if you're better off selling it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Steve. This information helps.

I guess I will try hooking the equipment direct to the projector and see if the quality is the same. I've got a 30 foot run right now so the RGB amplification helps. I would move the equipment rack under the projector so the direct connection would be a short run if I go that way.

Thanks again, Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.