Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First off, thanks for all the information here. I've been lurking for a long time and have finally ordered my equipment, but now have a question (it only occurred to me after ordering :)

I have a Boxlight MP-38T and a DWIN TranScanner2 coming, and was wondering what cable to use to connect them. I read in the TranScanner2 manual that the projector needs a RGB+S input and assumed that the RGB input on the Boxlight would work.

If anyone has any information on connecting these two units, I would appreciate any advice on required cabling.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
I don't know about your video display, but the Transcanner 2 only have BNC R G B H/V Sync outputs. (Or you can use just one of the Sync outputs for combined composite sync.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,

I saw that the TranScanner had the BNC's, and the Boxlight looks like it has RGB sub-D connectors, so I would need a cable from one to the other.

What I really need to know is if these two connection points are compatible and if someone knows of a manufacture/model # of a cable to achieve the connection (including the sync).

I did not see anything on the Monster Cable or Belkin websites that looked like they would work. I need about a 30' long cable.

Thanks for your help, Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've talked to both DWIN and Boxlight and they told me a simple 5 BNC to HD15 cable will work. I was not sure if the pin-outs were standard, but was assured they were. DWIN suggested using Liberty Cable as DWIN uses them as a supplier, so I'm waiting for a distributor to get back to me. I would appreciate any experience advice about Liberty or other cable manufactures.

On another note, from what I've been reading, even with the TranScanner2, a progressive out DVD player will yield a better picture (I have a Sony DVP-S7000 with interlaced component output now). I would welcome any opinions on upgrading to progressive and possible brands/models.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
The Transcanner 2 will only pass through a 480p DVD video signal.

Since I use a Dwin HD-700 7" CRT projector with 80" wide 16:9 screen, I am running the TS2 at 761, equal to about 720p, for NTSC stuff. For me using a 480p DVD player doesn't make sense in view of this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I was not sure if the 480p would be scaled to 720p or not, and the DVP-S7000 is a good player so I did not want to replace it if I do not need to.

For the Boxlight MP-38T (XGA) would you suggest the same setting on a 4:3 100" screen?

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Jim, with my Dwin HD-700 and TS2, I have a Stewart 16:9 1.3 gai 80" wide screen (with 4 Way Electrimask). If you're doing 4:3 on a taller screen than I am, as 100" 4:3 diagonal is 25% taller than my 16:9 screen, you would set the TS2 probably at an even higher scan lines for 4:3 material. But again, it all depends on the resolution of your video display, which only you can tell us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, Thanks for the info. The Boxlight MP-38T is XGA (1024 x 768) and came in today.

I will not get the TS2 until next week, and will try your numbers as a starting point and work my way from there :)

Thanks again, Jim

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Actually, odds are my numbers are TOO high for your LCD projector.

You should probably start at 525, which is essentially line doubled, and gradually work your way up until scan lines are just NOT touching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.