1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone,

We are contemplating purchasing the DWIN TransVision 4 Projector:

http://www.dwin.com/products/transvision4.htm

Does anyone on the board own one or ever played/tested one? We'd love to hear from you. Seems like not to many people own them, but everything we seem to find on it is wonderful.

Please post any remarks on this projector (positive or negative).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,994 Posts
 http://www.dwin.com/products/transvision4.htm

Dwin needs to get its act together.

Under spec's it says "Projection Offset: “Fixed†14.4% of Picture Height + 4.5†"

But under "Transvision vs. the Competition" it says "DWIN's TransVision is the only projection system that has a lens-shift mechanism with an offset range of 40% of screen height from lens level."

Anyone know which it is?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have seen TV4 - it is the greatest in its category. And I mean it. Bright, color rich ... Dwin processing.

It does not have lens shift - doc isn't right - it is for older TransVisions.

Cheers

-B

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Correct. The TV2, 3, 3+ and 3E all have lens shift. The TV4 does not...it is a fixed offset. It just started officially shipping a short while ago so there is not a lot of information on it out there as of yet.

Dwin does make a good product though, and the 2 box setup can be convenient for certain installations.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would we need lens shift? Is it essential?

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Being only 3 weeks from the biggest show of the year, I think that researching is a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend going through with a purchase of this one without waiting for the show floor to open and then asking opinions. Things can change overnight with a show like this. Even if new products aren't going to be available right away they might help you get better pricing and at least you would now how the market is most likely shaping up for the next few months. I'm not saying that waiting is always the best option, but you could easily do 3 weeks of research before committing.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
24,994 Posts
"Why would we need lens shift? Is it essential?"

Without it there is a fixed relationship between the height of the pj and the height of the image. Many can accommodate this, but many can't and have to look for a different pj.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the projector has been ordered and we anticipate its arrival. Star Wars party at our place November 1st! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had my TV4 up and running for a couple of weeks now and the picture is outstanding. It amazes me what you can get out of the standard DVD format, they are using every pixel well. I don't think I have seen anything close at it's price. I wish the fan was a bit quieter but that is my only slight complaint. Nobody that has seen it has complained about the fan, so I might be a bit overly critical.

We will see what CEDIA has to offer but I would say with it's outboard processor and price it's the one to beet.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7
Well, the projector has been ordered and we anticipate its arrival. Star Wars party at our place November 1st! :)
Congrats on the order!

Please give us feedback when you get it up and running.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will do. They are having back-order issues now. Seems like everyone wants one, but the company has been great. They will even talk with you personally over the phone and give you updates. I've never seen Sony or InFocus do that. :)

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Will do. They are having back-order issues now. Seems like everyone wants one, but the company has been great. They will even talk with you personally over the phone and give you updates. I've never seen Sony or InFocus do that. :)
If the backordered you, I would seriously look into taking Darin's advice and canceling the order. The industry could be going through a major lurch here in a few months, and you would hate to pay a premium price while waiting.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Smaller companies tend to be more receptive than the big corporations.

They are shipping but I'm not surprised that they are backordered. They just started to ship them recently.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
They will even talk with you personally over the phone and give you updates. I've never seen Sony or InFocus do that. :)
I agree. I have an install set for September 21st and called Dwin; got to speak to the national sales manager who gave me an update. He said it's scheduled to ship the 16th. I'm hoping I don't have to reschedule the install; between the tight production on this unit and the Screen Research screen needing to arrive in time from France things may get hairy...

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Excellent choice of screen. I switched from a microperforated Stewart to a Screen Research over a year ago and could not be happier.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, Verbo, our visuals will be the same :) We have our SR screen, came in a month ago and man we love it. We're just using our InFocus 4805 right now, but I want to get the projector installed before Sep 27. That's a huge DVD release day and we're having 3 big movie nights to follow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa
If the backordered you, I would seriously look into taking Darin's advice and canceling the order. The industry could be going through a major lurch here in a few months, and you would hate to pay a premium price while waiting.
No, but thanks anyway. This projector rocks and is still the best on the market for it's price.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm hoping I don't have to reschedule the install; between the tight production on this unit and the Screen Research screen needing to arrive in time from France things may get hairy...

Verbow,

You might be (Bill) but St.John just got it's largest shipment from Screen Research Wendsday so you most likely have a screen coming......

I also have someone getting his Dwin on Wendsay after a small delay from Dwin....can't wait to see the pj on the SR Screen........Suppose to be a great pj.....

Larry

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.