AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just letting everyone know the reds on the Dwin transvision are outstanding. Just as good as the Seleco.

I posted early on the Dwin suffered from orange red instead of red red

and the Seleco was better in this department. This turned out to be

a miss adjustment on my part with the rgb controls. Once set properly ( comes from the factory properly adjusted) this thing produces rock solid deep reds.

Ima very impressed with this projector!

------------------

Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger

AV Science
www.avscience.com

· Registered
250 Posts
That's awesome news!! I was thrilled with the head-to-head comparison that you and a couple others from this Forum did a while back. The only real drawback to the DWIN seemed to be the reds. The DWIN has now definitely moved to the top of my list.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Alan,Tom and Tom2 did a great job on the reviews. I guess a follow up is the best way to see how things are shaping up now that time is not so limited. I have been comparing my HD-700 + TS to my new Transvision and I must say it is a lot of fiddling to set up a comparision. Now Alan etc had 5 units to set up and compare. What a pain in the ass that would be.

The reds are indeed very good on the Transvision. I have just been watching Toy Story and The Spy who Shagged Me and the reds on the Transvision are extremely deep without any sign of orange. This was out of the box performance so I expect once I get it ISF calibrated on my Grayhawk using the Photo Research PR-650 next weekend I will gain even better results.

I must say the Transvision is absolutely awesome and I imagine when the Panamorph is fitted it will be even better.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 04-22-2001).]

· Registered
4,967 Posts
David!! You got your TransVision!! I was wondering if you had gotten it yet, so you like it eh??

How visible are the pixels?? I rented an InFocus projector for a business presentation last week, and the pixels almost drove me nuts. The fact that they bugged me so much has me looking at DILA again, but I still need to see a TransVision in person.

Give us a review, I'm particularly curious to know how you feel it stacks up with/against your DWIN CRT.

Take care,

-- Cain

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Cain

Yes its been a long long wait but finally its in my hot little hands. First impressions on my 1.3 gain Stewart are excellent. I am actually even a little surprised by the lack of visable pixels even less visiable than I thought it had when I saw it at CES (it has definitely tweeked even more since CES).

This has so many adjustments its amazing, so the picture will no doubt improve (+ it will get the Grayhawk and Panamorph as well)

Over this next week I will pull out the reference discs and tape measure and give you some more details on how it compares and the sort of distances involved but I will say that the immediate differences between the HD-700 + TS and the Transvision are in snap level and black level.

I am surpised by how well it resolves shadow detail and color seems consistant and deep.

Reds are much better with the Transvision than the HD-700.Another noticiable difference is corner brightness with the Transvision being much more consistant from center to edge.

The HD-700 has much better deep black's (as can be expected with crt) and it is smoother with a more film like liquidity about it, but the Transvision is no sloutch having better zip and gray scale tracking.

WOW this thing just "Rock's."

You need to test drive this thing, its changed my thoughts on using it for critical watching of a movie (I thought it would not be as good as it is). I think with a tweek or two (Panny,Grayhawk,ISF) this will be right up with my HD-700 + TS.

My honest thoughts are, "its a Hot little unit".

Still my only main complaint at this stage is its noisy compared to my silent HD-700.

More to follow.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 04-22-2001).]

· Registered
3,029 Posts
David Wallis,

Have you had a chance to try an HD signals with the Transvision, especially anything with fast motion, such as sports.

To me that's the Achilles heel of the digital projectors I've seen or taken home, with the exception of D-ILA's and the VW10HT. Either they won't work properly with HD at all, like the old Davis units, or they pixelate when there's any motion in the image. Some tend to oversaturate the whites, too, which is apparent on football and hockey broadcasts.

It's a shame, too, because digital projectors and HD sports were made for each other. Who wants to watch The Masters or the Super Bowl in total darkness as is necessitated by CRT projectors? A second system for this type of entertainment with family and friends, as you have, is really ideal, in my opinion.

· Registered
413 Posts
Alan:

how would you rate the DWIN Transvision against his CRT model 700 brother? Less, equal, better? If less or better, for what margin? (a subjective appreciation will do).

Also, how bad id the noise emitted by the Transvision?

Thanks a lot for your help.

J.V.

· Registered
4,967 Posts
Thx for the info David.. I'm looking forward to more.

Can you check into something for me please. I am wondering how far offset vertically this projector can be mounted.

IOW does the lens need to be even with the top of the screen like a DILA projector, or can it be above the top of the screen like a SELECO can???

Also, does the fan vent air from the top back bottom, or what??

Take care,

-- Cain

· Registered
15 Posts
David,

I'd also like to know what you think of DWIN and HD especially sports broadcasts. There have been earlier posts stating the DWIN scaler was weak in this regard with lots of artifacts, especially with hockey. But like the orange/red issue, may just be a matter of setup. Thanks.

· Registered
1,587 Posts
I need to sit down and give a HD a good workout on the Transvision. My initial 5 minute look was that HD looks very good but I will reserve my final decision till I get it setup better. I have not tried any sport or any large amount of video material yet.

I will look at these things over the next few days. I would hate to report without having a more detailed look at how it handles video over the next few days. Because it is just sitting on a small table at the moment I have not run long rgb leads. The processor is only connected via component to the DVD player and I switched wiring around and rigged together a sync cable to look at the HD signal.

Tommorow I will have some longer Belden 1694A and may get it hooked up better so I can switch between DVD and HD without the mess.

Please remember I am waiting for my dealer to install this in another room so I had to use what I had. He will be lending me some long RGB cables tommorow so I can continue my comparision.

CAIN I will look at the offsets for you.

Go have a look at this unit yourself as well. Its pretty impressive for a non CRT.

DavidW

· Registered
413 Posts
Alan:

What about noise emitted by the Transvision? Is that something annoying? Could you issue noise figures (SPL dB) at, say, 3 and 6 ft. from the seating position? If you don't have figures, then a subjective comparison with something familiar (a slide projector, for instance) will do.

Also, what is msrp for the Transvision PLUS the Transcanner II video processor?

Thanks a lot!

J.V.

· Registered
640 Posts
The processor is only connected via component to the DVD player and I switched wiring around and rigged together a sync cable to look at the HD signal.

Hi David,

Sound like DVD player with component out is the only source needed for playing dvds, no need of progressive DVD player or HTPC. Am I right?

Xiaoyu,

· Registered
1,587 Posts
PF

Fast motion is very good on film based images (24Hz) and it is also good on video based images (30Hz) although it is not as good as the film based images. I had instances of diagonal jaggies although they where not extreme I will be looking at it some more when it is actually set-up (ISF) in its right home.(not my temp cardboard box setup)

HD is very very good using 1080I (I have no 720P from my STB).

The color and 3 dimensionality from HD is much better than any Dvd I have tried on the Transvision so far. I was very happy with how good HBO and KCBS Ch60 looked.

See more in reply to Jesse below.

Cain

No, the offset can be above the screen. See Transvision calculator which is now on Dwins site under software. The fan vents and breaths from the bottom (or top if it is ceiling mounted).

600 miles is one long drive.

Jesse

Its fast motion on film is excellent with very little sign of jaggies. On video it is good, but with fast video material (30Hz) it does have a few jaggies that I would like to see eliminated.

It is not horrible by any stretch, but my HD-700 + TS is better.

I need to repeat "that my temp Transvision setup is not ideal "

(I only wanted to see how it went against my ISF HD-700 + TS) so I may have some settings or setup wrong.

I will follow up with a better report when time permits and it is Pro installed.

xiaoyu

Correct no need for a progressive DVD player or HTPC. But I am going to try both and report.

Just a mild summing up.

I still think Crt is the best and most film like unit IMHO. I have no doubt that if I was a reviewer doing a critical review, I would use my Crt setup because as a picky videophile I just like the extra depth that a Crt gives me.

The Transvision is very close to my HD700 + TS as an overall package.

It is absolutely unreal (for a Dlp) in giving the smoothness of a Crt.

I think that the main issue (in my back to back testing) is that "the deepest black level" is the main thing that the Transvision lacks over the HD-700. To me this is "that extra depth" that I could notice while switching between the two on the same screen.(the other issue I noted was that the Transvision had quite a lot more snap to the picture)

Perhaps when I use the Grayhawk in my permanent install, the added or perceived black level will make this an even narrower margin in the HD-700's favor (perhaps?).

I am extremely impressed with the way this unit looks on the screen.

I think it is the one DLP that will no doubt change a few Crt owners minds about Dlp quality.

Its very few issues are not major and I am sure once I have it installed and calibrated it will get me thinking about putting a Dlp in my main theater. (what no G90? maybe maybe not?)

I fail to see many not liking this unit (except those who have the sensitive rainbow eyes).

Panamorph/Grayhawk/Installation/Isf calibration.

I may also look at trying a PS Audio Power Plant.

All these additions to come.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 04-26-2001).]

· Registered
640 Posts
Hi David,

Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Do you remember there was a demo on Sage's booth at 2001 CES? They compared Toshiba 6200 progressive dvd player with Philips equiped with Faroudja FLI2200n chip. The scene was waving American flag of VE. 6200 showed jagged line along the red and white strip, but not FLI2200. I wonder what did you see on your projector with the same scene?

Xiaoyu,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.