AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I finished installing my Dwin projector which I bought thru AV Science. Last night I was watching Saving Pt.Ryan and for the first time I saw the rainbow effect. I have never seen the rainbow effect while I was previewing the projector. My wife and kids saw it!!! What a bummer!!! I have a stupid question, can a projector be upgraded from a 4 segment color wheel to a 6 segment color wheel? Is it cost prohibitive? I rea d that DWIN is coming out with a 6 segment color wheel. Would DWIN provide the upgrade even if there was an additional fee or you have to trade it in for a new one?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Jose:

I'd definitely put this question directly to DWIN. The question is, how much of the projector has to be changed as part of changing the color wheel assembly. Since they have their electronics external, hopefully it should not be too much.

DWIN can hardly be described as low priced. I think it fair to expect them to provide upgrading, particularly in a matter that is so vital to enjoyment of the projector.

Alternatively, I'd send it back if you can. This problem can only grate on your nerves more over time.

Your experience shows exactly why it is a mistake to buy any DLP with the single RGB wheel. A lot more people see rainbow than is often represented around here. Unfortunately, I think there's going to be a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth from these folks who just bought the cheap LT150s.

Dan

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I had the same problem with the Dwin and I can tell you for a fact that the Dwin is not upgradeable. I got this from the Presidents mouth after he called me. I had emailed him and every major person in the company complaining about the rainbows and asked if an upgrade is even possible. He told me that it wasnt possible.

I am sorry about the info, but then again, they might figure how to do it in the future.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dan, I totally agree that there will be many LT150 and rainbow posts soon. And there isn't much you can do about it in my opinion. With the Dwin, there definitely isn't anything you can do about it.

However, don't give up on dlp altogether...the Seleco 200DM and Sharp 9000 both have 6 segment color wheels, effectively spinning at 240hz with no clear section. This should effectively eliminate rainbows.

We shall see tonight, as my DM should be at my door!

Cheers,

Keith

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Keith:

Yup, all the reports I've seen thus far indicate the fast 6 segment wheel does the trick. Be sure and start a thread posting your impressions once you get that baby set up!

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.