AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN YOU HAVE A FRONT PROJECTION HOME THEATER WITHOUT A DEDICATED ROOM?

As you may remember, I was searching for a solution for a mixed-use space: my family room. It's the place that my wife and I spend most of our time and we really love the space. It's warm, comfortable, and relatively elegant for a regular-day living space. It has my favorite recliner, the most comfortable couches in the house, and the existing HT equipment.

While I really wanted a home theater, I knew that I wouldn't get as much enjoyment out of a dedicated room and didn't want to give up any additional space in our home. We had also recently invested in a 5.1 system installation and I didn't want to try to convince the wife to buy a whole new audio system in addition to the video.

I was completely unimpressed by Plasma and the Samsung DLP TVs, while interesting, didn't really pack the same visual punch as the FP systems. As you can see from the images, we didn't want a large CRT RPTV dominating the room.

Additionally, as you can see from the pictures to follow, the room is oriented around a fireplace. This left little space for a hulking RPTV.

So I have my heart set on a front projection system, and after seeing the beautiful picture produced by the HD2 FPs like the 7200, I was sold. I ordered a Dwin because of the reputation for quality and the 2-box solution sight unseen.

After quite a bit of debate, we decided to order a roll-down firehawk 92" (diag) screen. This screen just barely covered the width of the display wall and rolled out of the way when the PJ was not in use, allowing us to use our direct-view Toshiba 36" HDTV for SDTV and daytime viewing.

What follows will be photos of the installation. I think you'll agree that we ended up with the best of both worlds. During the day, with company, or when we're just kicking back and reading the Sunday paper, we have a fully-functional room that isn't at all diminished by the theater installation. At night, we have a fully-functional amazingly beautiful HT system.

-x

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the room. Keep in mind that the recliner is approximately 14' away from the TV, so it's bigger than it looks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the room again, this time the photo is taken directly behind the prime seating location (the recliner). It gives you a much better view of the screen housing above the TV. It looks like some "interesting" drywall work, but it is actually a removable box that houses the Luxus Electriscreen housing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turning on the PJ brings down the Firehawk.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the view from directly behind the recliner, which is centered on the screen. Please excuse the poor quality of the image: the flash was on as were the lights.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could show you how beautiful the image looks from the Dwin TV3, but, alas, the little Digital Elph I have doesn't do justice. Here's the best I could do.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess it wasn't as cool as I thought :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
XKode,

It's really great that you posted these photos. I have a TV3 on order and I love seeing it in action.

How about a picture or two of the menu screens?

Thanks.

Kenny

·
Registered
683 Posts
Xkode - thank you so much for the pictures and updates. You may be the only guy in the entire country with a TV3, so your information is greatly appreciated. Enjoy your projector. Reed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm waiting for the HD DirecTivo to replace it ;)

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Quote:
xmode, would sure like to hear more about the picture quality of your Dwin.
Ditto that!

You've had some more time with this pj now, what are your overall impressions of the picture quality in particular, and the pj in general? How does the fan noise compare to other pj's you may have seen/heard?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did a mini-review in the other thread on the TV3... generally great except some control freaks may find the settings lacking a little.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyb
What model Firehawk screen is that? Is it tensioned? It looks to be quite a nice looking screen.
It's the Luxus Model A Electriscreen. You can't buy an electric screen that's not tensioned from Stewart.

The drywall work around the outside hides the screen housing itself, which is just a black metal box that's hung on some supports that are bolted to the back wall.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I like how you've integrated your home theater into the room, without the former overtaking the latter.

Very nice!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BigScreen
I like how you've integrated your home theater into the room, without the former overtaking the latter.

Very nice!
Thanks! The key was to a) make the wife happy and b) not diminish the comfort and daytime utility of the room. It's our favorite room in the house and I just couldn't see myself (or my wife) wanting to go down to the basement to watch a movie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.