AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get my TV3 on Monday and I am looking at possibilities.

I am using a 107" wide 1.3 gain screen at home, but I would also like to show movies outside at night, in varying light conditions. The things that will vary the light conditions are street lights, house lights and the moon.

I am considering a 140" wide 16x9 Dalite Cinemavision (1.3 gain) screen. This would give me 20.3 foot lam., do you think that this would be enough? I can reduce the size of the screen if necessary, but I am trying to keep it as large as possible so that many people can view it at the same time.

I necessary I can also build some sort of cover to block light from above, this would help with the moon and street lights.

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 7Music7
This would give me 20.3 foot lam., do you think that this would be enough?
Cary,

I assume you got the 20.3 ft lamberts from the lumen specs, but these things rarely meet the lumens specs and then only on the first day and then go down from there.

I think you will be the ultimate test. I would just move the projector back or use the zoom to make the image the size you want. This will fill more than your screen, but the part that falls on your smaller screen should give you an idea of whether you will be happy with it.

To really get the feeling of the light outside you may need to go try it out there if you can't simulate the light inside, though. Is this going to be a permanent screen or just something you rig together for movie night? The Dazian 1.0 gain stuff is something like $17 a linear yard for 86" wide for just the material. So, you could get 140" wide for something like $70 plus shipping. It might be worth it for a test even if you don't end up using that material.

People aren't nearly as picky outside as inside, in my experience. Especially if the beer and burgers are good :) I showed LOTR at 16' wide on 2 bedsheets sewn together with my Sharp M20x and people thought it was great. Later I made a 20' wide screen out of blackout material and that worked very well, but I couldn't get it tall enough with ropes and ended up using maybe 17' wide. However, I'm going to get some of the Dazian stuff, since it is wider and won't require multiple seams.

My advice is that if it isn't bright enough, think about picking up a 2nd projector like the M20x for about $2k (when they hit that) or one of these really bright Mitsubishi projectors that are maybe $3k and use it for outside. Most people wouldn't notice if you kicked in the white segment a little bit to support the big screen size.

Have fun,

Darin

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darin,

I was considering the Dalite because they have a fast fold system which allows for easy set-up and tear down, but it is pricey at 1k.

Who do you know of that sells 1.3 or 1.5 gain screen material?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.