AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Stacey and Secrets, I scooped you on this one! And I'm not even at CEDIA. But I have my spies everywhere!!!

Yes, Dwin is demoing their new 16:9 chip DLP and I understand it looks great!!! Reported by my friend Loren Roetman of Home Entertainment Concepts who has decided to carry Dwin.

The pixels are something like 1268 X 760, or something like that. I was on my cell phone and it faded a bit on me.

------------------

Steve Bruzonsky

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Great scoop. My only question is price? I hope it is around the $10,000- $14,000 mark to compete with the other 16:9 DLP's. Im hoping closer to $10k RRP.

Spero D.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I wonder how much they'll discount on remaining version 1 stock ? Or will they offer both ? Hmmmmmm.

------------------

Sergio R.

·
Registered
21,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys just keep on guessin'. I have no idea of the answers. But I bet it'll be a hell of a projector!!!

------------------

Steve Bruzonsky

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i just got back from cedia. steve is correct (and i got a few insider tips about steve http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

they have not set a price but i grilled the guy and he said it would definitely not be more than the current unit which is 12,900. he said it would be competitive.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Heres what I have so far on the new Dwin.

DVI input:

2 lens options: one short throw and one long throw.

2 bulb options: 150 watts or 275 watts depending on screen size. The 275 watt bulb was stated to output something 1500 lumens.

rgbrgb color wheel.

The unit looked outstanding and with the 275 watt bulb will retail for same as or less than the current Transvision one which means it will street for under 10k and the same unit with the 150 watt bulb will retail for even cheaper.

Jason has a lot of good things to post and will try to do so tonight or tomorrow.

This unit kills the Sharp.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
250 Posts
Alan,

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to Jason's post. I'm assuming AVS will carry this projector... Any idea on when this will be available. Probably not since they don;t even know how much it will cost, but thought I'd ask anyway.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Quote:
Alan you have seen them side by side running the same movie from the same source? Just curious as I will not be setting the Sharp aside right yet though you may be right http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Alan how was the Seleco 300?

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger:

Jason has a lot of good things to post and will try to do so tonight or tomorrow.

Tonight!! Tonight!! Tonight!! I have to go to Georgia tomorrow and will not be home until Sunday!!!

Arrgh!!! I..... Can't ...... Wait ........ http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-- Cain

[This message has been edited by Cain (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
those guys are all posting from hotel rooms with laptops on dialup. i have the advantage since i am back in my house with broadband connections. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

i vote that all future cedias be held in indy!

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
835 Posts
More info:

DVI input is only on the Transcanner, not on the projector. I asked and they were going RGB from the scaler to the projector. I question the advantages of DVI-in on the scaler, but not the projector. It would be good for HDCP over DVI, but isn't the whole point to have HDCP happen at the projector. I don't know how useful DVI will be.

When Alan says they it "kills the Sharp," I think (hope) he means flexibility-wise. The ability to customize the projector for one's application is *very* nice. Performance-wise all the 720p chip projectors look excellent, I think you would have to see them side-by-side to tell the difference.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
DVI input is only on the Transcanner, not on the projector. I asked and they were going RGB from the scaler to the

projector.
Just as a note I talked to Edward from Dwin at Ces and he indicated that the digital connection would have to go all the way to be effective in his view. He was unsure at that time if it would be DVI but he did say he was waiting to see how the market developed.

I asked him will that mean a new connector on the projector and he said not necessarily, we can probably use the five existing cables (RGBCC) and trigger the change from analog to digital via the existing control cable.

Mind you that was CES and now it is Sept so things may have changed.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Kam

Your quote:

When Alan says they it "kills the Sharp," I think (hope) he means flexibility-wise

That is exactly what I ment. I should learn to clearify myself a little better.

I also agree with you in that I see no benifit to adding the dvi input to the scaler verses the projector.

Unless as David stated Dwin could carry the digital information via the existing anolog cables.

We will have to see what shakes out on this.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Please remember I was only talking about the current Transvision, which has no digital input. I asked why and he told me that Dwin wanted to do digital all the way or not offer it at all.

He seemed very firm on this point (I agreed of course).

I asked him why he did not have it and he said he was waiting for some form of digital standard to be sorted out.

He did seemed to favor DVI and was aware of the copy protection issues and this was his reason for not offering it.

Even if it was not on the Cedia prototype, I see very little that could stop them putting on a digital connector by the time the TV2 is released next year. I guess Alan can ask Dwin (pref Edward not the salesman) what they will be actually be doing, as the current scaler is not where I thought it was, so a digital connection all the way makes sense.

I actually used a little bribery today and told my dealer that I will upgrade my TV1 to the TV2 if Dwin give us two DVI inputs and digital straight to the mirrors. (how to tell the wife!!)

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Stacy Spears

Dwin had a new DLP, the transvision 2. It is using the 1280x720 DLP with 6 element wheel. It has no digital keystone, it has a shifting lens. Very cool idea. It should be out quarter one.
Thats something that no one mentioned in other reports. I thought someone may confirm that the new TV2 has a shifting lens?

Oppps spelling check!

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:
"...a ****ing lens?" oh really!?
Opps spelling check = "shifting"

I do not know I never went to Cedia. But along with the two lens options (long/short),two bulb options(1500/1000 Ansis),DVI input,3 component,2 svhs,2 rgb,2 composite,rgbrgb color wheel,1280x720,auto aspect recognition,two 12v triggers,rs232 control it looks pretty feature packed.

Dwin have obviously listened to customers and dealers.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-13-2001).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.