AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, its between the DWin and the G10/G11. I keep going back and forth between the two. I have seen both units operate, the Dwin fully operational with satellite HD and DVDs and a G11 with no scaler using a progessive DVD player. Saw the Dwin last month, saw the G11 last year.

They will both cost me about the same, Dwin with the transcanner and the G11 with the Vigatec. I know that Dwin is more user friendly and its a full package, the Dila has to be put together with a scaler, they are loud and put out a lot of heat.

After saying all that, I would like everyones opinion. A very important and influential person on this forum told me to go with the Dwin, but I would like many other opinions.

One other point, try as i might, I could not see the rainbow effect with the dwin. POint number two, I have the panny lens on order. POint number 3, I live in LA, so i should have alot of HD content/channels

· Registered
4,967 Posts
Hi Humey.. You need to pick the projector you like best.

The killer for me with regard to the DWIN is that rainbow business. I have not seen it, but my Cousin is very sensitive to it. He will watch as many movies in my HT as I will!! ;-)

Rainbow may or may not be a concern for you, but for me it is a show stopper when my friends and family cannot share in the fun of my HT with me.

The DILA has other issues but none related to the basic image quality or watchability..

Just my thoughts, YMMV.. From what I understand both projectors are very good. I'm sure you know the G-11 is no longer manufactured so you may have a harder time finding one, and the G-15 is more expensive.

-- Cain

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Humey

If you do not have sensitive eyes that see the rainbow effect then the Dwin is a good choice. I have lived with my set-up for a while now and the Transvision gives a great image. For me the DILA also provides a great picture but the snowmobile noise, and 1000hr xenon bulb @ $800 was a deal killer.

I do like the DILA but it just was not a good option for me. With Dwin being local it was an easy choice and the image it presents is first rate.

IMHO the Dwin is the best 1 chip Dlp I have seen. The only real negative is related to the technology of the color wheel which effect all 1 chip Dlp's.

Some on this forum will always see the strobing (rainbow effect) on any 1 chip Dlp, and because they do, any 1 chip Dlp will not be ideal.

If you do not see it (rainbow effect) like I do not, then buying a 1 chip Dlp it is not a problem.

If you do see the rainbow effect and it is annoying to you, the DILA is definitely the way to go.

For me it is either DLP or DILA as LCD just is not in the race for quality.(IMHO)

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 05-11-2001).]

· Registered
2,926 Posts
OK first I am a biased G15 owner. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

With that out of the way, here are my thoughts.

The DWIN seems to be a great unit. I don't think that I have ever seen the "Rainbow" on a dlp, but there is something that really bothers me when there is a lot of movement in a scene. Very hard to explain though.

The G11/G15 are big, kinda ugly, hot, and have a completely stunning picture if setup right (HTPC or Scaler).

One of the best ways to determine what would be best for you would be to determine what you want from a projector.

What material do you want to watch the most? Is HDTV very important to you? What kind of room do you have?

I tell you what, you haven't seen the potential of a DILA projector if you have only seen it with a Progressive Scan DVD player plugged directly into the unit.

On the other hand, the DWIN has a nice integrated package with a lot of benefits.

The big answer to your question is:

It depends.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Cameron and Cain are right both are very good units although out of the box the Dwin is a package designed to work where the DILA needs a scaler/DILARD etc.

Its not an easy choice. I like the ease and many inputs of the Dwin as the whole package just fits in and works.

The other option instead of a scaler/DILARD is a HTPC which can be made to work well.

Having got cosy with the Dwin has made me appriciate its simplicity and its great picture without the need to be forever tweeking.

I strongly believe DILA is a good technology but for those who like plug and play and those who have kids, simplicity is a strong plus.

I have often started to wonder while tweeking away if this hobby is getting in the way of what I like and enjoy best (listening/watching).

DavidW

· Registered
4,967 Posts
Like I am fond of pointing out, you really need to see them for yourself to decide.

David is correct, the DILA is noisy, but a friend of mine tells me DWIN seemed noisy also, so either one you may need to do something to make them absolutely silent. The DILA also has an expensive bulb, and it can be a pain to set up, although not too bad with a commercial scaler.

The DLP issues are the "rainbow problem" which has been beaten to death, and also problems with the mirrors not being able to move quickly enough sometimes.

The business of "mirror movement" problems have just recently started to surface. I'm sure we will all be hearing more about this soon.

This problem seems to be why some folks perceive a jitter to DLP images particularly with fast moving objects on screen, some think it is the rainbow problem but it is not.

Take a look at any projector you want to buy, and sit down take your time and decide what you like best. And I'd say take a look at other projectors, there are many other good ones besides these two.

- Cain

· Registered
1,587 Posts
I have not seen them back to back but HD leaves Dvd for dead on my Transvision. When I saw 1080I HD on a G15 it was very good and impressive compared to Dvd.

I am sure the DILA holds a trump card with 1080I as it is a SXGA vs an XGA but my Transvision holds its own and the picture is very fluid.

Cain is right again, the Dwin is noisy (for me any how) but the noise from a DILA, is in my view a nightmare.

You need to understand that I own a Dwin Crt and it is silent so I hate almost all projectors because of the noise they produce from their fans.

Cain QUOTE

"Take a look at any projector you want to buy, and sit down take your time and decide

what you like best."

Thats the real issue and the only solution.

I will say that the perfect unit is non existant and you will be very old before it does exist.

DavidW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.