Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the word on the street is...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
MrWigggles,

According to both DWIN and Tweeter, there will be at least two Tweeter stores in the Houston area that will be carrying the projector. Mark's availability agrees with what I've heard from DWIN. Not sure how soon the units will make it down to Houston, though.

-phil

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
About 2 more weeks
Thats what my builder has been saying since December.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The word I'm getting from Dwin and my sales rep is that it is due for release around May 20 and will be in hands of dealers who have early orders by end of month. I've been told that my pre-order was in early enough to be part of the first batch.

My theater construction was complete in Mid-March. As we all know, the date for the Dwin has moved several times. I can't tell you what a challenge of my patience it has been having a completed theater with no video equipment.

We're almost there - I think! :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Dwin moved the release date for the first DLP projector so many times, it is why I decided to simply wait for the HD1 projectors.

I suspect it will be "2 more weeks" for about another month or so before it finally ships "in limited quantities". I may be wrong.

Steiny take a look at other HD1 projectors out now they are all very, very good. DWIN has been famous for saying "just two more weeks" for months IMO to prevent folks from buying another projector.

Congrats on the almost finished HT!!

-- Cain

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Cain. I am a dealer and talk to Dwin frequently. Dwin said 4 to 6 more several times. They only said 2 more weeks once and that was last week. When you are a small manufacturer getting all the parts needed at the right time is a big problem.

The lens being used by Dwin is much better than any lens being used by its competitors. If the lens supplier is slow in delivering it to Dwin because of its own problems (say waiting for a critical part made by others), Dwin's timetable slips.

As I understand it, the machines are ready to go in substantial quantity. All that Dwin is waiting for is the lenses. The lens supplier has promised them for arrival within he next week or so. For all I know the lenses are arriving now. I haven't talked to the factory in the last few days. If the plane or ship carrying the lenses doesn't make it to LA, the machine will be delayed. When the lenses do arrive they will be installed and the machines will ship. You do not want to use this machine without a lens. With no lens the picture will truly suck. I can't blame Dwin for delaying release until they have lenses.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mark, Who makes the lens for Dwin? Are they better thean the Marantz and Sharp specifically?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The lens is a Carl-Zeiss. This company makes lenses of legendary quality. Serious, serious cameras use Zeiss lenses. From what I understand the lens is significantly better than those used on the Sharp and Marantz. Whether it really is, who knows? Assuming it is better, how much better will the picture be all other things being equal which they won't be of course? Still if I had a choice with my cameras and if I could afford it, I would choose a Zeiss lens. Photography magazines test lenses. Maybe somebody will do a meaningful lens test with the three projectors. Perhaps some sort of resolution/focus chart to test sharpness and focus across the screen.

The marantz and Sharp lenses are certainly adequate for the job. Could they be better? Certainly. Do they need to be better? I guess when the Dwin gets here and we start to compare its image to that produced by other projectors we may get a clue. Remember though, all other things will not be equal.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not all projectors equiped with Carl-Zeiss lens have had super crisp images. I remeber a review of the DAVIS DX16 (something like that) which had rather poor focusing.

It have been the construction etc., but the fact is lens quality isn't everything in digital projectors.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Premium Member
25,550 Posts
I don't see the need for sharper lenses, in fact they may just make the image look more digital at close range by showing the pixel borders more clearly.

But better lens quality giving higher ANSI contrast would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting concept. Lower quality lens equals better HT experience. Can this be right?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Good info Mark, thank you for providing that for folks looking at this projector.

So it will definitely ship next week, the week of May 13; that is good news for the folks who are waiting to see this projector. I'm glad to see they are putting out a specific ship then planning to stick to it.

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
In other words, bulb projectors are inferior to CRT in ways which you must mask by making the image less sharp than on a quality CRT.

Now I will agree that CRTs are better than bulb projectors but I disagree that sharpness is undesirable because you might see pixels. I guess the CRT guys should defocus their images so that they can no longer see scan lines?

Noah. Better yet remove the lenses entirely. No pixels, no lines, just one perfect blur.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 2mnyToys
Where in Chicago?

The Dwin rep in Chicago mentioned it would be at the Clarion Hotel around Cumberland and Higgins.I do not know if it is for the public.

Ross

·
Registered
900 Posts
krell

If you get more info on the unvailing of the Dwin please post it. Maybe we could get a screening for us Chicagoans. We are potential buyers,arrent we??

Thanks,

Larry Kosova

·
Premium Member
25,550 Posts
"Interesting concept. Lower quality lens equals better HT experience. Can this be right?"

If it isn't, why are people defocusing their LCD's?

It's possible that a slightly defocused DLP will still appear sharper than a CRT, since the pixel transitions that are being blurred correspond to several times the resolution that a CRT can display.

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but if for some reason you're outraged, please respond with experience, logic, or reasoned speculation (which is the category I'd place my posts in).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.