AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Vallejo..Where I live there tree's houses & hills in the way..

The thing I'm asking is, What kind of Antanna do DXers use??

I have a Raido Shack $20 indoor one...would that work??

What hours of the day do I need to keep the TV on?..I will be using a Casio TV-880 & a 13" b/w TV for DXing

· Registered
5,414 Posts
You can also do it with a VHF antenna on the balcony

Main thing is, you generally need a VHF antenna, outdoors, with a way to rotate it. And, you need a TV set or analog-capable converter that does not do the "Blue Screen" thing....you're using your eyes and brain to discern the pictures and sound from the noise floor. Most tropo is on low-band VHF channels, but you can sometimes get high-band (7-13) as well. It all depends on the height of the two layers of energized atmosphere, as to what frequencies will propagate forward inside the duct.

You'll see most of the tropo around, say, 10 AM to 2 PM, and around 4 PM to 8 or 9 PM local time, but it can happen at other times. It's all about having the right conditions (hot and humid) between you and the "catch".

See http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_wam.html for maps and details. You can change the regions at the top left.

BTW, I've been getting narrow-band FM (NBFM) audio reception on a pocket scanner at 1600 miles, indoors, lately. There's been some major activity over the central plains states, bringing in Canada.

If you are looking for ATSC, split the signal off in to a communications receiver, and listen on SSB at xxx.310 MHz above the lower end of each channel (put the channels in memory slots). If you hear a tone, you might try for a DTV station. Putting all the analog audio channels in memories, as well, is a good idea.

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to bring this back..

DXing for me before June 12 09 prolly wouldn't work for me anyways

If I did have a outdoor antanna Vallejo have Ch 2. though 6 filled anyways in Analog

2, 4, 5 in SF

3 & 6 in Sacramento

for now it will work for me..

Would and old B/W Pocket TV in Manual Tuning work if I'm outside??

· Registered
24,148 Posts
If it's a pocket/portable TV... analog... probably not a DX hobbyist's choice.

You have much to learn Grasshopper.

· Registered
5,414 Posts
I'm looking forward to "skip season" starting back up again. Had a few minor hits over the winter, but nothing exciting.

The letters indicate which channelization they use in a particular country...."A" usually is "America", "E" is usually Continental Europe, "R" is Russia, "J" is Japan.

Every region sets the beginning frequency, ending frequency and width of the channels differently.

See if you can find a "World Radio and TV Handbook" at your local bookstore...they have all that (and lots more) in the back.

If you don't want the current station info, you might find last year's issue someplace...maybe a library.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.