AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Onkyo HT R520 (6.1 system 1000 watts) is starting to die. Sometimes it has sound and sometimes it doesn't. So I wanted to start looking around at what is available for home theater/receivers. I don't want the best but want it to sound nice.

It's been a good 6 years since I shopped for my HTIB so Im sure technology has changed. What are the highest rated HTIBs or receiver brands right now?

Is it better to buy just a receiver to go with the speakers I currently have or should I go the HTIB route again? Not sure of the pros and cons. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think its safe to say that most people on this forum would advise you to steer clear of the HTIB. Granted, almost everyone has their own limitations for what they can get in a home theater; be it the wife, room size, wife, wallet, wife (I think you get the idea). So, If you can swing getting a home theater with tower speakers/surrounds/sub and a new receiver, that's what I would recommend. If you can't for any or all of the above mentioned reasons, I would probably just get a new receiver. Onkyo is a good brand. I have a Denon and love it. A buddy of mine just got a new Pioneer receiver. Any of those would be good. Just look at the features they have and compare that to your needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts