·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see all these different ratings for wattage ,,, they break it down like this

Dymamic power @ 2 OHM 200w

@ 4 OHM 160w

@ 8 OHM 130

these of course are expamples of what i see . so is the dynamic power different from regular watts ? very confusing to me , thanks in advance .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"Regular" watts, or RMS, is the amount of power an amplifier/receiver can crank out over a long period of time. Peak or dynamic power is the amount of power an amplifier/receiver can crank out over a few milliseconds, like for a kick drum. The ratio of these two things is called headroom and is often specified as xxdB, like 3dB, meaning the amount of power it can put out for short transients is double that it can put out over a long period of time.

Advice: Only look at the RMS power outputs at 8ohms, unless you know you need, for example, 4ohm ratings. Make sure those numbers are rated with a specific number of channels driven (typically one, two, or five). The best numbers are the ones demonstrated by magazine reviews, not those from the manufacturer. Don't let all of the other numbers cloud what is already a difficult decision.

Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW ... Thank you , now that you made my brain hurt , :) that is very interesting , very well said i might add ! as always ... great info , thank you !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.