AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own a pair of 72's. These are superb speakers. They are very revealing and have a powerfull bassresponse. The only negative thing I can think about is that at loud volumes on strong voices they are a bit of a pain to listen to (good example is Pavarotti Nessun Dorma). It might be the recording though.

I've auditioned about 30 speakers in this price range and these were the best, at least to my tastes. I use a Yamaha AX-596 poweramp, Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver(as pre amp) and a REL Storm III to supplement the bass (but a Stadium III would be better, because the 72's go quite low).

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know about? You really should audition a pair yourself.

Han

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Han,

Thanks for your reply. I presently have B&W matrix 3 mains (they are about 14 years old) and am thinking of upgrading. I recently did listen to the 72's and was initially impressed. Did you audition any B&W's? If so which model or models and what were your impressions in comparison to the dyn. 72's ?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have heard the 70s, and they are excellent speakers. I haven't listened to the old B&Ws, but compared to the new ones, the Dyns have not so forward sounding tweeter (non-metal), which is easier on the ears for me. I also think B&W pricing is really off considering the value you get. The Dyns still have lots of detail and lots of slam, which is why I am going to buy Contour 3.0s very soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did audition some B&W's (603S2 and 604S2), but you can't compare these to your B&W Matrix. I find them dull sounding / very unexciting. They have a very 'closed-in' sound. The worst speaker during my quest was the Tannoy R3 though. For homecinema or dancemusic, the 603/604's are ok.

Oh and by the way, I have never heard anyone being negative about the Dynaudio Audience series, ever.

Han

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.