·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Dynaudio Confidence C1

Contour SCX (matching tweeter as C1)

Wyred4Sound 3 x 1,140W in 4 ohm power amp

2) Seaton Sound Catalyst x 3

For 90% HT usage & 10% Multi-channel SACD, which system would you go for in a room of 16" x 18" x 9"? They will be matched to a pair of SVS PB13 Ultra subs. The surround speakers will then be matched with whichever system is selected.

Both systems fall into very similar price bracket after including shipping + tax for system 2. Dynaudio has a local agent so the speakers comes with warranty.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Those are two completely different animals to be used in two completely different situations.

I'm a Dynaudio dealer that owns the C1's myself. They are arguable the best monitor on the planet. But, when you put them up against something like SS Catalysts, Triad Gold LCR's, or other like LCR speaker for home theater. The C1's simply won't be able to match the output of the others. Not even close. Plus, the Wyred amp will not drive them appropriately.....just being honest here.

In addition, I don't like marrying the C1's with that SVS sub. I just don't think it's a good combination. The SVS subs are awesome, though. The C1 is more of a music first type of speaker. Nothing wrong with using them for home theater, they are great. They are just different than high power handling LCR's.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Tony did a great job of describing the differences between the two products you are considering. Your listening is focused on HT more then music, so I think the raw power and output of Mark's Catalysts would be a better choice after reading some reviews from well respected posters on my part here on AVS. I have not heard the Catalysts, but there is one owner on here who moved from Arial's to the Catalysts and is a very happy camper with his choice even from a music perspective.

I own Dynaudio speakers, but due to your focus, Tony's expertise and reading various posts on the Catalysts, I'd probably go for the Catalysts. Art S., a frequent poster on AVS has the Catalysts in his theater, which is world class and is also extremely happy with his purchase. There are also other owners here of the Catalysts but their screen names escape me at the moment.

For what it's worth, I peruse the forum quite a bit and I think Mark is initiating furniture grade finishes on the Catalyst speaker. I don't know from an aesthetic perspective, how either finish is important to you. In the end, it's about output and the Catalysts are supposed to be superb for HT and music. However, the C1's as Tony has noted, is a world class monitor.

Much luck,

Charles

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice that, Tony & Charles. I guess I was trying to compare a Corvette with a Mitsubishi Evo in a rally race. While I loved the refinement of the Dynaudio, the Catalysts may be more suited to my needs.

Would the SVS subs match well with the Catalysts? Most Catalysts owners go with Submersive from what I can see. And I would love to keep my SVS subs.

·
Banned
496 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the Seatons but I will throw in a comment about the C1's for HT duty.

I use the C1's and Confidence Center and Focus 110's for surrounds.

I find the combo quite incredible for HT and Stereo. I am not able to use three matching speakers LCR so I have to rely on the brands dedicated Center.

I would almost say if going C1's and trying to conserve some money, I would try to pick up the Confidence Center on Audiogon.

I have commented several times that for HT and not stereo the very best thing I ever did was to add the Confidence Center.

My room is about your size and I am never wanting more nor there is not many times that I am not just amazed at the performance. Music in blu-ray sound tracks can be quite amazing with the Confidence set-up.

Not familiar with the subs you are auditioning. I use dual REL Britannia's (another brand that does not get a lot of HT love but the B1 has been more than satisfactory and for stereo is near perfect to my ears).

Also not familiar with the Amp you list but I would listen to Tony here. I used a NAD M25 for many months and now a Sim Titan and both amps were/are no problem with the C1's.

Can't speak in regards to the Seatons but I have been in HT/Stereo heaven in regards to the C1's and Confidence Center.

Are you able to audition? That is a good amount of scratch without a pre-audition.

Rick

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyt /forum/post/16938632

Oh, thanks for that info. But re-packing & sending them back & forth would be a daunting & expensive task
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyt /forum/post/16945291

Great advice that, Tony & Charles. I guess I was trying to compare a Corvette with a Mitsubishi Evo in a rally race. While I loved the refinement of the Dynaudio, the Catalysts may be more suited to my needs.

Would the SVS subs match well with the Catalysts? Most Catalysts owners go with Submersive from what I can see. And I would love to keep my SVS subs.

I wanted to add a quick clarification here. While obviously shipping is a bit more of a hassle overseas than within the states, it would be a rare case to have to return an entire speaker or subwoofer. All parts in my products are serviceable with no more than a power screwdriver and appropriate bits, no soldering required. Drivers and amplifiers are more likely the parts which would ever be replaced if lightning strikes or some other oddity occurs, both of which are reasonable items to ship and replace.

We are about to ship a set of 3 Catalysts to the Netherlands, and have SubMersives in multiple countries across the globe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts