AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is mentioned in an earlier post of mine, but I would like to address this topic specifically.

How do you feel about using a Contour 1.3 as a center channel? By the numbers it appears to be a better solution than the Contour Center. It has better range and it's driver is matched with the larger Contours. Anybody doing this?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FYTON2V
This question is mentioned in an earlier post of mine, but I would like to address this topic specifically.

How do you feel about using a Contour 1.3 as a center channel? By the numbers it appears to be a better solution than the Contour Center. It has better range and it's driver is matched with the larger Contours. Anybody doing this?

Thanks...
Using identical speakers for the L-C-R array has many advantages, provided you can accommodate the center speaker in its proper orientation (the 1.3 cannot be turned on its side). The horizontal orientation of a center speaker is an unavoidable compromise for many systems.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
152 Posts
You'll get better dispersion characteristics out of the 1.3

than their centre. If they use the same drivers, their centre

will produce a high sound level and some additional bass,

but there will likely be (like with all D'Appolito horizonally

mounted speakers) a frequency dip somewhere along the

bandwidth of the speaker. Of course, you could always mount

their centre vertically, but a matched set of 1.3's across the

front would be excellent.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.3s for the center and rears adn 1.8s for the front right and left. I wonder if you can even buy a single 1.3?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robster1958
Philip.......

why exactly can't the 1.3 be turned on its side???
Because the drivers are designed and placed to integrate vertically. Their are some speaker designs that are intended to support wither orientation (usually placing the drivers at angles relative to one another) but this entails other compromises which Dynaudio was unwilling to make.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
860 Posts
One important point - are you talking about the 1.3 mkII or the SE? I ask, because those are very different speakers. The SE's have different drivers, including different tweets as I understand it, and will not match with anything else in the Contour line, including the center. That means you should not use an SE for a center to match anything but SE mains. Conversely, it means that if you have SE mains, then using an SE center is *definitely* preferrable if you can pull it off. If your mains are 1.8, then the MkII would be the match.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thought. The Contour Center is shielded. My center will have to sit on top of my component rack. Is this advisable? or is shielding only necessary when you place a speaker near a TV?

·
Registered
43 Posts
As another option to either another 1.3 or the Contour Center, is anyone using a Contour T2.1 for the center channel? If given a choice between the Contour Center and the T2.1, which works better with 1.3 MkII mains?

Brad

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would think that a company like Dynaudio, would definitely timber match the center channel to the rest of the corresponding line. So why not just go with the center channel? ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bradad
I would think that a company like Dynaudio, would definitely timber match the center channel to the rest of the corresponding line. So why not just go with the center channel? ;)
My Firehawk showed up yesterday and I now realize that once it is mounted there will be no way to have a vertical 1.3 as a center. It'll be too high. I'm thinking the regular Center might do just fine :).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I have Dyns all the way around, Contour 3.3 up from, T2.1 for the Center and 1.3 MkII's for the surrounds! Man I cried when I first heard them at home! Absolutely stunning! Didn't realize what music could really sound like.

The T2.1 are definitely the preferred Center Channel speaker. I had been speaking directly to a Dynaudio rep when I was making my decision and he was emphatic about that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
i can second that.

i just got a T2.1 for my center...to best match my 1.3SE L/R fronts....

so far...i must commend myself for my excellent taste!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.