Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been demoing various brand of speakers for the last few days. It is very difficult to separate some f these brands, as at a particular price range they are very close to each other.

I found the Dynaudio A72's, Jamo D590 & the PSB image 6T home theater bundles to be roughly equivalent. These cost almost the same out here.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
since they all sound about the same to you and cost about the same, buy the one you think looks/fits best in your home decor.

just be sure that you are using the same music when comparing all the speakers. be sure that the tone controls of the receiver or preamp are all set to flat and the volume is level matched so that you are listening to all the speakers at the same volume. good luck!

BTW, the Dyns and PSBs are fine speakers. haven't auditioned the Jamos before...

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I have the PSB Image 6T's and rather like them very much for audio and home theatre so I'll vote PSB. Lots of power handling. Clean and clear. Efficient and don't sound distorted :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, guys.

I used the same pieces of music. Same Amp (HK 7500) One scene from LOTR, one track of rock music & one piece of classical music. I thought the classical sounded best on PSB, the rock music was cleaner on the other two speakers. The movie was probably best on the Jamo, but that was a dedicated home theater room.

The Dynaudios required a little higher volume to get to the same sound levels. The Jamos cost about $400 more for the entire set (5 speakers + sub) but look stunning. The PSB's & Dynaudios are the same cost. Probably overall listening experience was best on the Dyn's but they require more from the amp. The amp could deliver though & there was no clippilg or distortion even at very high volumes.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Dyns aren't the most sensitive of speakers with their 86dB ratings...but they do sound very good! i would vote for the Dyns but i am partial to their smooth sound...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the 6t smaller brother the 5T, with a 9C and a pair of 10S. IMO these are really great speakers! They are not power hungry, have fantastic imaging, and tons of dynamics. They are also voiced matched very closely. Plus I got the whole batch delivered to my front door for less than $1500! Very good "bang for the buck."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 6 T + 9C + the dipole surrounds + Subsonics sub is approx $3000 out here in India.

The Dynaudio A72 + matched center, surrounds & sub is approx $2800.

The Jamo D590 + set (D5) is $3250

I like the Dyns too & as long as my amp can handle them. But I like the PSB's too & it's tough to make up my mind!

·
Registered
167 Posts
get the dyns, the dark finish on them are much better then the dark finish on the psbs....if you want light finish then go with the psbs.....=)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never thought of that actually. The Jamo are superb lookers & great sound too. But slightly pricey. Probably one of the best looking speakers I have seen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i thought you eliminated jamos? i have a jamos.....i say they are dynamic enough for movies but they aren't all that with music....my new psbs however are awesome and everything i throw at them they spit back out with ease and with the least fatigue....btw they are psb minis and goldis....my jamos are acl30.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would NEVER buy my speakers based on my "decor." Buy your speakers based on the way they perform. Also, the PSBs Image line comes in black or cherry, there is no light color. I have heard the Jamos, not as good as the PSBs IMO. But ive never heard the Dynaudios.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The PSB's were best while playing Classical music but sounded muddy with rock (The Who concert DVD). For HT, the Jamos were best but were in a dedicated HT room. The Dyns were good for everything & best in rock music & very good at classical.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pprao
...The Dyns were good for everything & best in rock music & very good at classical.
as a former Dyn Audience owner, i would agree with this statement...Dyns are GREAT speakers...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Jamos, but between the Dynaudio Audience series and the PSB Image series, I would go for the Dyns. The Audience series is really a step up from the PSB Image series, in fact, they should really be compared to the PSB Stratus Bronze. Even though I do prefer the Stratus over the Audience, I believe the Audience would be better than the Image, especially if you can get them for similar prices.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think in India the dealer makes a lot of difference. The A72 set is cheaper than the Image 6T. Even the dealer did say that the US prices have the 6T much cheaper than the A72's. But it is so hard to check prices on the net. Where does one find the prices ayway?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.