AVS Forum banner

22381 - 22400 of 47741 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
so i'd love to try the naim xs2, but is there anything anyone would suggest for serious consideration in the $2k bracket besides the naim amp?
w4s sti500. If you could test them side by side and let me know.:D

Reactions: amatuerholic

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I would look at this as well as it goes very well with Dynaudio speakers, sounds very good and is very durable. I love the sound of Naim, just don't like the looks for how much you pay, but they do sound nice.
What is "this" that you speak of?

And thanks to everyone else for the ideas! :D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Rega Elicit-R?
Have to be used, he wants something in the $2k range the Elicit is still $2999
Those all look so tasty! Although the Marantz doesn't seem too interesting to me. I've only seen their HT stuff though.. That MF M6-I seems like it would really grab the music by the balls.

Thanks again for the ideas, I'll be keeping those all on a list for reference when I'm gonna pull the trigger.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Those all look so tasty! Although the Marantz doesn't seem too interesting to me. I've only seen their HT stuff though.. That MF M6-I seems like it would really grab the music by the balls.

Thanks again for the ideas, I'll be keeping those all on a list for reference when I'm gonna pull the trigger.
All those amps should grab them by the balls. Don't let wpc be your determining factor tho. All those amps are serious contenders

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
All those amps should grab them by the balls. Don't let wpc be your determining factor tho. All those amps are serious contenders
That's very true, especially after seeing the transformer they stick in the Naim Amps. Those things are crazy!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Have to be used, he wants something in the $2k range the Elicit is still $2999
Understood; but that seems to be in line with the rest of the discussion. It'll be hard to come by used though; I think I've seen one or maybe two.

Actually, I would respectfully take Arcam off that list; for exactly that reason. I don't think it's got the as* for Dyns. :p

YMMV

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
amatuerholic:

You might want to check this out as well they go good with Dynaudio. I have used MF gear over the years and have had good luck with them, Dynaudio a few years back ago used them a lot during demo's at a few CES shows and others. And it's under 2k and packs a good sonic punch, I would still have this Int. Amp, if it wasn't for a person selling me a killer deal on a KW-500 Int. Amp, which I will use till it dies on me!

Well callas01: beat me to the punch but I would agree with all of his selections with the exception of the Wyred for Sound. Just not a fan of them and I have tried several over the years, but they sounded flat and dull to me, just not a fan of Class D for music.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-musical-fidelity-m6-i-integrated-amp-2014-06-23-integrateds-44120-cleveland-oh

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hegel H-200? Probably can't get it for $2k :(
Now that would be sweet! Hegel and Naim are the two "premium" brands I'm really interested in. And then the NAD c 390dd interests me because of the HDMI in and crossover.

Musical Fidelity has a certain appeal as well, but I'm under the impression that reliability has not been great in their product history?

Exposure reviews positively, but I don't like how they look, haha. :p

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
amatuerholic: I use the sell MF gear when it sounded great but was engineered like ****, they be building very reliable equipment sine 2000, more so over the last 10 years. So before 2000, they made very well sounding Amps, but ones that got way too hot and fried there innards! Sine the A308 Int. Days MF gear has been extremely reliable. For your reading pleasure:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/musical-fidelity-m6i-integrated-amplifier-hi-fi-71/

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
@Garmin
IMHO, MF makes very musical gear, but their build quality has gone down.. I am not sure if it corresponds to the switch to the Taiwan factory...
The speaker posts on my old A 5.5 were rubbish...
I respectively disagree as far as their quality going down, in fact since they have been making some of their gear in Taiwan it has actually gone up. The A5.5 was my least favorite Int. Amp by them and I do agree that model had issues with broken speaker post, as I had one break but that is the only issue I have ever had with any of there Amps or any of their gear in the last 15 years. I use to sell their gear, what they need too do is stick with a model for awhile before they decide to change them out. The KW-500 I own, is one of the best built Int. Amp I have ever owned and I have had a ton of different brands.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Here is a small sampling of Int. Amps I had over the years, that I have used with my C2s, C1s and various other Dynaudios. But it comes to a point if you really like some thing that sounds good stick with it, as swapping out gear can be fun, but the bottom line I got into this hobby to enjoy music and movies, sure the new gear is fun, but some people get more into the gear swapping and buying then actually sitting back and enjoying what they have. I am a perfect example of this, with 3 boys in school and soon to be college my hobby as far as gear buying goes is coming to a end for awhile. This is fine by me as I can go back to listening to music and watching movies (which I enjoy more) and spending less time on hear looking for the latest and greatest thing. ;)

I have had:
Marantz various products both there high end line and general PM line
Plinius various Int.
Threshold
Musical Fidelity a ton as I can't remember them all
Creek
Cary
Sim Audio
Denon
Rega
Arcam
Accuphase
Luxman
Vincent
NAD a ton of different ones, M3 and M2 were nice
Rogue
Naim
Emotiva
Edge
Forte
Audio Analogue
etc.. many more.

The two best systems I had with equipment and Dynaudio that were most memorable, where Threshold and my current Musical Fidelity KW-500 Int. a close third was the M6i and A5 was also nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Wow...
I mainly used Marantz gear, they sound pretty ok with the older series, but I am hoping to jump back onto Dynaudio with the C series...
Yeah, back a few years ago I would make CD look like a mild addict, I swapped more gear out faster than changing under wear, I had just about ever Dynaudio Speaker from the Dynaudio Confidence line down. Only line I really haven't had that much ear time with are the Focus line minus the 110 and 220 I had briefly.

Two last items on the on my list are a newer pair of Dynaudio or Magnepans speaker and Oppo upgrade. Beyond that if some thing fails I will replace it, 3D TV is way overhyped and going for a 11.1 + in a home system is ridiculous unless you have an expendable income. ;)

I have two many Audio systems currently and need to ween myself off... Family room system/Home Theater System (Dual Music Room System) /Office System/Computer System and then 2 systems in my Lake House. This is what happens too you when you use to work in the business. LOL There should be a Audiophile Anonymous Club for ex and current addicts. :D and if you sifted through all these threads you will see plenty of pictures of past and current speakers I have had.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
"My name is Garman, and I have been purchase free for 4 months." ::applause:: :p

22381 - 22400 of 47741 Posts