AVS Forum banner

22421 - 22440 of 47690 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
It's still going through burn-in process (100 hours according to the dealer) so I don't want to say much. Except that they sound really fantastic! The clarity of the midrange and the tight punch of the bass is way better than my previous MA RX8. Can't wait what will happen after the burn-in. Even my wife is impressed.

My gears are as follows:

Sources ---> Clearaudio Concept TT, Onkyo CDP, and MacBook/Audirvana for hi-res flac files.
Pre/DAC & Power Amps ---> Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage, Emotiva Stealth DC-1, and Emotiva XPA-1L high bias (35W Class A) Monos
Nice setup!

The rx8 are no slouches by any means either so that's saying something. I'll have to make sure that I listen to the X34s next time I'm over there. I really liked my old X16s, considered the X32s but the Focus 160s called right before the 260s I have now.

I've never heard emotiva, thinking of checking out their road show later this year.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
COmusicaddict and lulimet: Thanks for the info, talk about a bunch of bastards! LOL I stuck them on AudioMart for now. So I pay $108 bucks to sell them on Audiogon and get one repost in 30 days? WTF? At least e-bay lately has been reposting the item for you till it sells. If nothing pans out on Audiomart I might try Audiogon, but I am not going too use them much anymore.
Ive sold on usaudiomart and had no issues.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
callas01: Here you go and there is even Dynaudio in the picture! ;) If I can't get at least a good amount of money for my C2s which are in Mint condition I will just keep both.. I will be looking at the C1s right now or the new S5.4 but first I have to sell these. If they don't sell no biggie as they are still my favorite speakers with the Maggies now coming in a close second. Frankly I think they are tied in many ways, but Dynaudio's kill them on bass response!! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Sources ---> Clearaudio Concept TT, Onkyo CDP, and MacBook/Audirvana for hi-res flac files.
Pre/DAC & Power Amps ---> Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage, Emotiva Stealth DC-1, and Emotiva XPA-1L high bias (35W Class A) Monos
I can't tell ya, how close I was...to trying a pair of these. I just love, love, love class-A; and might end up, with a Pass amp for life...because of it (though I currently have a 300/500 class-D ARC; how's that, for the dichotomy of the audiophile...lol). DAC906...does it go without saying, you love them? Tried any other class-A units, you could compare them to?

For you Naim lovers...IMHO, you really owe it to yourself, to try class-A. When I think of Naim...I think you guys dig it because it's smooth and non-fatiguing...but still has great PRaT and drive. Well...that's class-A, in SPADES. In fact...forget PRaT; I call it, straight-up BOOGIE :D

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Ive sold on usaudiomart and had no issues.
Me too; and even on free forums, etc (including this one). It's hit and miss, and all depends on what you're trying to move.

It's funny how, certain boards, have certain niches; where some brands fly off the market, and others don't even get a sniff. But bottom line is...like it or not; Audiogon still moves the needle, when all else fails. When it comes to e-commerce...traffic is king, and AG still has USAM by the short-ones (of course eBay puts them both to shame, but a) it's not really the playground of the audiophile and b) you think Audiogon is expensive :eek:).

Also...I remember something my Dad told me, when I was a kid; that's always stuck with me. We used to go to this park for a long time...and it was always free. Then all of a sudden, I noticed my folks had to pay. I asked my Dad, why they started charging people all of a sudden; and he said...probably just half jokingly..."to keep out the riff-raff", lol. At USAM...you do get more tire-kickers, lookee-loos; and sometimes, just straight-up scammers.

Garman...this is your first experience with AG, since "the switch"?. Ha...hell; you should have seen it, in the beginning. It's about...oh, let me try to not exaggerate here; it's about 100,000-times better now!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
but Dynaudio's kill them on bass response!! ;)
I really did like the spacious and open sound of the Magnepans, but they sounded anemic down low to my ears. I wonder how difficult integration with a sub is, but given that I love punchy bass and smooth highs, Dyns really do it for me as a complete package over the Magnepan sound. And I do like tighter imaging. Now I really want to go listen to some Martin Logans and see how good those sound.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
I really did like the spacious and open sound of the Magnepans, but they sounded anemic down low to my ears. I wonder how difficult integration with a sub is, but given that I love punchy bass and smooth highs, Dyns really do it for me as a complete package over the Magnepan sound. And I do like tighter imaging. Now I really want to go listen to some Martin Logans and see how good those sound.
Well I highly doubt their are too many people or dealers that have or carry both Magnepans and Dynaudio. After listening to my C2's last night and the 1.7s there is no doubt in my mind both have their pluses and minuses but remember the Maggie 1.7 cost 1/6 the cost of the C2s and they have a 3D live soundstage like no other. The bass is very decent on them but I am using a hefty amp, but nowhere near the C2s of course. My goal is to sell my C2s update too the Platinums and take it easy, I do notice my KW-500 Int. Amp runs hotter while playing the 1.7s. Sub integration is not a problem, the only thing that is slightly tighter is the bass, the imaging well that is all up to the listener ears. I have owned many MLs and these far out preform the Vistas, SLs and Electromotions that sell for about the same price.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ML SL3s, Maggie 1.7s, and Sapphires

Well, up until about a year or so ago you could listen to multiple Magnepan and Dynaudio speaker systems at Cherry Creek Audio in Denver. But they closed, so no more.

My first set of good speakers was a pair of Martin Logan SL3s that I bought in 1995. I spent about 6 months listening to anything I could hear in Colorado and NM. I enjoyed them quite a bit for 16 years before the change. The reasons were limited high frequency response and not quite enough weight or body in the lower registers.

I spent another half year in 2011 listening to higher end speakers and ultimately decided that if I wanted to turn the speaker volume down, then something was wrong. That took B&W 802Ds right out of the equation along with Monitor Audio and Thiel (just too fatiguing for me if you don't own really fat electronics. I ended up with a dealer demo on the Sapphires and have been very happy with them ever since.

I have listened to lots of Magnepans over the years, starting back in the late 70's. They are absolutely great loudspeakers, and especially for the money. I did end up with the SL3s instead though, and the Maggie 3.5s, etc. just sounded a bit too warm (warmer than the Dynaudios) for me when I bought the Sapphires.

In my book, they're all good loudspeaker brands. The Dynaudio Sapphires have taken over the main stereo listening duty at home during the week and sound superb. My SL3's now sit in a secondary location in the mountains and are working very nicely for me on the weekends. :)

Mark A, Colorado Springs

·
Registered
214 Posts
Me too; and even on free forums, etc (including this one). It's hit and miss, and all depends on what you're trying to move.

It's funny how, certain boards, have certain niches; where some brands fly off the market, and others don't even get a sniff. But bottom line is...like it or not; Audiogon still moves the needle, when all else fails. When it comes to e-commerce...traffic is king, and AG still has USAM by the short-ones (of course eBay puts them both to shame, but a) it's not really the playground of the audiophile and b) you think Audiogon is expensive :eek:).

Also...I remember something my Dad told me, when I was a kid; that's always stuck with me. We used to go to this park for a long time...and it was always free. Then all of a sudden, I noticed my folks had to pay. I asked my Dad, why they started charging people all of a sudden; and he said...probably just half jokingly..."to keep out the riff-raff", lol. At USAM...you do get more tire-kickers, lookee-loos; and sometimes, just straight-up scammers.

Garman...this is your first experience with AG, since "the switch"?. Ha...hell; you should have seen it, in the beginning. It's about...oh, let me try to not exaggerate here; it's about 100,000-times better now!
CD is certainly correct about the website improvements (some irritating to me, at first) on Agon over the years. I'm just frustrated it has moved from a non-(or not for much) profit hobbyist site to a for-profit site run by folks who may not give a damn about our hobby, that's all.

When I bought a Musical Fidelity A3.5 integrated a month ago it was listed on both sites (perhaps before the price hike?). Guess which site I bought it from... It powers the SL3s now. Mark A

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Mark,

I had SL3s as well, my first pair of logan's then, a pair of Vista's and Electromotions. I have a all ML system up North, modest system in comparison to hear but nice. MLs can tend to sound bright too me, but my MF gear toned it down, and I had a A3.5 and A5 and A5.5 over the years finally settling back on a MF KW-500 int Amp. I had a pair of MMGs that I liked but they lacked punch and sold them many years ago, but with the new panel revisions and better bass out of the Maggies, I think they sound better "too my ears" then Martin Logans all across the spectrum now. My favorite pair of MLs were the SL3s, as they seemed the best balanced. Love the Sapphires, and if my C2s don't sell I will be happy with a Dynaudio/Magnepan combo, and even if they do sell, I am looking at getting the C1s for my fronts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice setup!

The rx8 are no slouches by any means either so that's saying something. I'll have to make sure that I listen to the X34s next time I'm over there. I really liked my old X16s, considered the X32s but the Focus 160s called right before the 260s I have now.

I've never heard emotiva, thinking of checking out their road show later this year.
I think you should, even if you don't intend to buy. I like the performance of Emotiva... solid, reliable, and sound great. Not to mention very inexpensive (causing some to suspect if they are audiophile grade but they are). Their customer service is also topnotch. You can talk directly to anyone including the owner Dan and lead engineers.

If you are one of those techie guys, their website publishes their AP Test data on each equipment they manufacture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't tell ya, how close I was...to trying a pair of these. I just love, love, love class-A; and might end up, with a Pass amp for life...because of it (though I currently have a 300/500 class-D ARC; how's that, for the dichotomy of the audiophile...lol). DAC906...does it go without saying, you love them? Tried any other class-A units, you could compare them to?

For you Naim lovers...IMHO, you really owe it to yourself, to try class-A. When I think of Naim...I think you guys dig it because it's smooth and non-fatiguing...but still has great PRaT and drive. Well...that's class-A, in SPADES. In fact...forget PRaT; I call it, straight-up BOOGIE :D

I've heard Pass gears a few times in the recent and last year's Newport Beach audio-video show. They are one of best sounding amps I've heard but also one the most expensive. So they'll be in my wishlist but probably not be able to afford. Luckily there is a company called Emotiva who make great gears for less (IMHO). The Emotiva amps I'm using is a Class A/AB (high bias upto 35W). I can switch it to AB and tried it before. While still good, I could hear a tad reduction in sound resolution. So yes, I love it's Class A mode and I listen to it solely in this mode. I haven't tried other Class A amps in my system/listening area but only as mentioned earlier in audio shows. So, I cannot be sure how good the Emo gears compared to a Pass for example. However, I would say that I also hear the Emo gear in this shows and on that basis the Emo gear can hold its own against these high priced equipments.

·
Registered
510 Posts
callas01: Here you go and there is even Dynaudio in the picture! ;) If I can't get at least a good amount of money for my C2s which are in Mint condition I will just keep both.. I will be looking at the C1s right now or the new S5.4 but first I have to sell these. If they don't sell no biggie as they are still my favorite speakers with the Maggies now coming in a close second. Frankly I think they are tied in many ways, but Dynaudio's kill them on bass response!! ;)
Good luck selling the c2s. Was my dream speaker for a long time. Probably the hardest dyn to sell though. Sean's been lowering the price on his gorgeous gloss white mkii c2s for months now with no takers. Congrats on the 1.7s. Truly one of the greatest bargains in high end audio.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I spent another half year in 2011 listening to higher end speakers and ultimately decided that if I wanted to turn the speaker volume down, then something was wrong.
Mark A, Colorado Springs
Man do I ever agree with this comment. Well said. One of the reasons I fell in love with dynaudio. Plenty of high end detail without making me want to turn it down. Same is true for my current speakers, PMC IB2S. The only dyn that made me want to turn things down was the special 25. It was also the most jaw dropping dyn I've owned. When it was good it was ridiculously good. But when it wasn't good it was almost painful. I found the contours to be The most forgiving.

New gear in the Jax house. Just got a job pre2 preamp. : )

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Good luck selling the c2s. Was my dream speaker for a long time. Probably the hardest dyn to sell though. Sean's been lowering the price on his gorgeous gloss white mkii c2s for months now with no takers. Congrats on the 1.7s. Truly one of the greatest bargains in high end audio.

Well the good news there, I use to work at a high end audio dealer so, I can offer these at a bargain price and not worry about loosing my ass out on them because I got a great deal on them to begin with. Once get below $6500 you start seeing takers pretty quickly on them. No issue for me to keep them either, just trying to create a tad more space in my HT room that has now been crowed with great speaker brands. ;)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
New gear in the Jax house. Just got a job pre2 preamp. : )

Congrats to Jax, on the new arrival. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning...he also has new household, in the Jax house! So Jax...why no cool snap-shots; that no-pics-other-than-Dyn thing, put you off?

Once get below $6500 you start seeing takers pretty quickly on them.

You might have just said, the magic words for Jax; or the magic number...lol. If they were mkII (Jax can't bear, to not have latest/greatest ;)), and Gloss White...he might not be able to resist.

Of course now...I'm trying to convince him, his "dream" speaker should be *** ********* * (speaker name omitted, so as not to mention non-Dyn dream speakers...in said Dyn thread).

·
Registered
510 Posts
Congrats to Jax, on the new arrival. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning...he also has new household, in the Jax house! So Jax...why no cool snap-shots
Good idea.

New room is dual purpose this time. 2 channel is still the primary purpose but my wife insisted on a home theater as well. 70" tv and KEF E305s round out the package.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Good idea.

New room is dual purpose this time. 2 channel is still the primary purpose but my wife insisted on a home theater as well. 70" tv and KEF E305s round out the package.

Now that's clean, Gene; and slick...Rick ;)

BTW...I think we can, list gear in our signature now. :p

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Jax, that room is stinkin' nice! Very well done.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Jax: Sweet setup! You need some color in that room, like some Rosewood Colored C2s! :D At my price you might be tempted! ;)

22421 - 22440 of 47690 Posts