AVS Forum banner

26161 - 26180 of 48179 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it because the dealer is not local?

I'm confident that your $5k amp will be more than sufficient for the Focus 260. It may have a different shading, sound-wise, compared to the Exposure, but it will not sound "bad."
The dealer is about a 4-hour drive away in another country, Germany, and Belgian dealers are not as easy-going when it comes to bringing your own amp or home demos.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I'm a bit wary of ribbon tweeters, to be honest. I've had a pair of Elac FS 407 for the past year, which have the JET5 ribbon tweeter and it's true that they have lots of details and smooth highs, but unfortunately that makes the midrange a bit recessed, voices don't stand out as much. So after a while I only heard highs and lows and no midrange and they got on my nerves after long listening sessions. I hope the Scansonics are not like that.

That's why the Dynaudio Focus 260 or the XD400 interest me more now. Form what I've heard from the Dynaudio Excite X-38, they're a lot smoother and more coherent to listen to with an excellent midrange.

Another one I've heard briefly and impressed me is the new Audio Physic Avanti (for their 30th Jubilee).
I use my iotas for side surrounds,so it's mostly ambient sound,they seem to do a good job with what I use them for.I would recommend a demo with the xd 400,s ,I am currently waiting for a pair of 600s to arrive(6 weeks):p

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use my iotas for side surrounds,so it's mostly ambient sound,they seem to do a good job with what I use them for.I would recommend a demo with the xd 400,s ,I am currently waiting for a pair of 600s to arrive(6 weeks):p
Congrats on the 600s! Please let us know more when you get them in your system.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I'm a bit wary of ribbon tweeters, to be honest. I've had a pair of Elac FS 407 for the past year, which have the JET5 ribbon tweeter and it's true that they have lots of details and smooth highs, but unfortunately that makes the midrange a bit recessed, voices don't stand out as much. So after a while I only heard highs and lows and no midrange and they got on my nerves after long listening sessions. I hope the Scansonics are not like that.
If you have a chance to listen give the Scansonics a shot. I don't think there is a lack of mids but everyone has their preferences. Yes most Dyn's are a bit more forward in the mids. If Dyn's don't have enough in the mids there is always Klipsch :eek: YUK!!

The Marantz should be plenty for either Dyns or Scansonics. I drove Dyn C1 Originals and Sigs with an Octave V70SE and there was more than enough (actually there was more with the Octave than the Bryston B100sst).;)

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
didge70: As Octa Stated the Scasonics 2.5 are great, but I would lump them into more of the Excites range, and they come close to some of the Focus series. They are a different breed of ribbon and very good, very similar to Magnepans Ribbons and very good for their size. I would say if your really looking for a great sounding mix, the Raidho D1/D2/D3 are in a whole different league and also very good, I almost went this route but it's hard to audition these speakers side by side as most dealers don't have both. I think the Focus 260 is very good, different sounding than the 2.5, not saying which is better but I prefer the more balanced Dynaudio has to give you when it comes to comparing the Scansonics and Dynaudio which I do daily, both are great, just think they are different. Let your own ears be the judge!

Reactions: OctaDyn_Dude

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I stopped by my dealer today...he had my old focus 160s up and running in his demo room.He was a happy camper cause the day before...he sold a sim audio dac that he demo'd with them.This got me thinking about gear that you wish you would of kept.Back in the early 80,s my friend had pair of pioneer hpm 150's,they had a glass super tweeter and I believe it was a 15 inch woofer.i just remember how good I thought they sounded...playing Neil young...rust never sleeps(on a turntable)I wonder how they would compare to Dynaudio today...damn I'm getting old.This was back before cd-players were even out.:eek:I'm sure everyone has that one piece of gear that they miss right?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Integration

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The X16s are discontinued. They had better bass then the X12s but not quite as much as the 160s I also owned for a bit. They were 6 ohm from the reviews but labeled as 4 ohm. They had the tone and sparkle of the level of the X12s, but bass was better. X14s are supposed to have more sparkle then the older X12s and tighter bass.
If my recollection of what the X-32 sounded like vs what i heard of the X-34, this is right but the Excite remains an Excites and still does not have the same sparkle as the Focus 160 but seriously I think it makes them an enjoyable speaker with any king of material. The bass also seems tighter and less bloated, not that it was bloated before but you get the idea, I really want to try the x14 now and see how they compare with the x-12.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
BigAl87: Come on you haven't jumped on the other Danish speaker bandwagon yet? Raidho/Scansonic ;) Well Dynaudio is still my favorite but their are so many good speakers to choose from these days, the Excite line is far better than the Audience line of old that I use to have, I have had a few of the bookshelves in the Excite line.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Since I will be using xd 600s downstairs,I am now using the speaker cables I had on ny c1s on my excite12s(nordost heimdall 11).i don't really see much discussion about cables here.is that a taboo subject?i do notice a difference in sound from the generic cables I was using,just wondering what other people use?...and is it worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
BigAl87: Come on you haven't jumped on the other Danish speaker bandwagon yet? Raidho/Scansonic ;) Well Dynaudio is still my favorite but their are so many good speakers to choose from these days, the Excite line is far better than the Audience line of old that I use to have, I have had a few of the bookshelves in the Excite line.
Well technically speaking if you look at my Avatar i am really into Totem since I am north of the border they are easy for me to get but yes i know Raidho and Scansonic, I have auditionned the D2s and the D1s.

Spurrier Sucks is really into them ;). Their is even more Danish manufacturers such as Dali ;)

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Well technically speaking if you look at my Avatar i am really into Totem since I am north of the border they are easy for me to get but yes i know Raidho and Scansonic, I have auditionned the D2s and the D1s.

Spurrier Sucks is really into them ;). Their is even more Danish manufacturers such as Dali ;)
He is a converted Totem owner, to the Scansonic 2.5 which are very nice. I know Dali and Raidho and Scansonics as well... I currently own a pair of Confidence C2s Platinums and Scansonics 2.5s and I have owned several Dalis in the past... I heard the D1/D2s and now the D3s, all very nice speakers, I had the cash to try out the D2/D3 but unless I can get my C2s next to a pair to compare I won't be swapping them out anytime soon. I jus like their full body flavor they put out. I find the sound different, not really one better than the other, now this is going off of memory, but I do have a pair of the 2.5 for comparison as well, and have put them up against a pair of Contour 1.3 MKII which I still have and a pair of Magnepan 1.7s.. All very good and different sounding and ironically I like all of them right now, go figure.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
He is a converted Totem owner, to the Scansonic 2.5 which are very nice. I know Dali and Raidho and Scansonics as well... I currently own a pair of Confidence C2s Platinums and Scansonics 2.5s and I have owned several Dalis in the past... I heard the D1/D2s and now the D3s, all very nice speakers, I had the cash to try out the D2/D3 but unless I can get my C2s next to a pair to compare I won't be swapping them out anytime soon. I jus like their full body flavor they put out. I find the sound different, not really one better than the other, now this is going off of memory, but I do have a pair of the 2.5 for comparison as well, and have put them up against a pair of Contour 1.3 MKII which I still have and a pair of Magnepan 1.7s.. All very good and different sounding and ironically I like all of them right now, go figure.
that's really cool, well my sig say it all on what i currently own bu i also own a pair of Forest Signature and of course those little X-12 for ,y office space, heard the C1s and C-2 on several occasiosn and they are impressive speaker indeed, I like them a lot i have to admit :).

I know SS, and i know he's converted, I know he liked the sound of the Forest but he was craving for more ;). He's gone through alot of new gear over the paast years :) and so did I :eek:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Always a nic pairing and that huge Naim stack with some evidence series wow :rock

A dealer here in Montreal was demoing the Evidence with Naim stack also.
The problem is...that statement gear costs more than most people's house:eek:sure would be nice to hear once though!One guy on the naim forum really praises those magnepans that Garman has,I've never heard those but I did hear some Martin Logan's a long time ago,it's kind of freaky as to how they actually make music.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Their is even more Danish manufacturers such as Dali ;)
Denmark is quite big on speaker brands (compared to the size of the country). Off the top of my head, adding to those mentioned:

Audiovector
GamuT
System Audio
Jamo (though now owned by Klipsch, and has no offices in Denmark anymore)
Scandyna
Eltax is now Tangent
Dantax is now Raidho/Scansonic

Gryphon and Bang & Olufsen makes speakers as well as electronics

Plus obviously driver manufacturers:
Scan-Speak
Vifa/Peerless (Now owned by Tymphany)
Audio Technology (by Dynaudio co-founder Skaaning)

I probably forgot someone... Peak Consult was Danish, but I believe they shut down. JBL did manufacturing of some models in Denmark some years ago, but not anymore. Hornslet Cabinets made cabinets for a LOT of high-end speaker brands (basically most of those with curved cabinets... including B&W Nautilus, JBL Everest etc), but they shut down last year. I think SB Acoustics drivers are developed in Denmark, manufactured in Indonesia. Oh, and the electrodynamic speaker was invented in 1915 by a Dane :)

26161 - 26180 of 48179 Posts