AVS Forum banner

26181 - 26200 of 48196 Posts

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
The problem is...that statement gear costs more than most people's house:eek:sure would be nice to hear once though!One guy on the naim forum really praises those magnepans that Garman has,I've never heard those but I did hear some Martin Logan's a long time ago,it's kind of freaky as to how they actually make music.
I heard Magnepans at shows all the time and I was very impressed on what I heard, finally I went to a local dealer and heard the 3.7s and then the 1.7s and bought the 1.7s on the spot, I think they even sound better than the Scansonics depending on music, but they sure do use a lot larger planar ribbon tweeter... Still the Dynaudio have had my ears for years, I use to sell them back in the late 90s and early 2000s... One thing I think Raidho does better than the Evidence line is sound better in a smaller too medium sized rooms. I have also owned Martin Logan as well, started out with the pair of SL3s, and had a few other pairs but when comparing them to other speakers they tend to sound much brighter sounding.

Otto J:

I think the Danish companies are starting to feel the tech crunch of cheaper labor as well, sadly. People alway state, we need to build it cheaper find the cheapest paid labor force with limited environmental laws and who cares.... If a country really wants to create jobs then they should start to try to build more things in their country and buy more things made in their own country and be proud of it. One of the reasons I have always liked Dynaudio, at one time (hopefully still) 100% of the speaker was made in Denmark even down to the environmentally safe glue and stains! If I was going back to school I would learn Mandarin Chinese and study environmental engineering. ;) Ironically you have 3 speakers that are in my top 5!

A few more:

Copland
Bow Technologies great looking and sounding gear
Holfi Audio
Densen Audio
Thule Audio
Tangent Audio
Dali as mentioned before.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Denmark is quite big on speaker brands (compared to the size of the country). Off the top of my head, adding to those mentioned:

Audiovector
GamuT
System Audio
Jamo (though now owned by Klipsch, and has no offices in Denmark anymore)
Scandyna
Eltax is now Tangent
Dantax is now Raidho/Scansonic

Gryphon and Bang & Olufsen makes speakers as well as electronics

Plus obviously driver manufacturers:
Scan-Speak
Vifa/Peerless (Now owned by Tymphany)
Audio Technology (by Dynaudio co-founder Skaaning)

I probably forgot someone... Peak Consult was Danish, but I believe they shut down. JBL did manufacturing of some models in Denmark some years ago, but not anymore. Hornslet Cabinets made cabinets for a LOT of high-end speaker brands (basically most of those with curved cabinets... including B&W Nautilus, JBL Everest etc), but they shut down last year. I think SB Acoustics drivers are developed in Denmark, manufactured in Indonesia. Oh, and the electrodynamic speaker was invented in 1915 by a Dane :)
Worse, Klipsch group has been bought out by Audiovox after the take over of Energy and Jamo by Klipsch group.

Indeed Danish do know how to make speakers :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The problem is...that statement gear costs more than most people's house:eek:sure would be nice to hear once though!One guy on the naim forum really praises those magnepans that Garman has,I've never heard those but I did hear some Martin Logan's a long time ago,it's kind of freaky as to how they actually make music.
Yeah I did here a pair of ML CLS at 25k a pair they sounded absolutely great actually, I mean their are some great speakers out there but all different but i can appreciate them for it's strengths.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Otto J:

I think the Danish companies are starting to feel the tech crunch of cheaper labor as well, sadly. People alway state, we need to build it cheaper find the cheapest paid labor force with limited environmental laws and who cares.... If a country really wants to create jobs then they should start to try to build more things in their country and buy more things made in their own country and be proud of it. One of the reasons I have always liked Dynaudio, at one time (hopefully still) 100% of the speaker was made in Denmark even down to the environmentally safe glue and stains! If I was going back to school I would learn Mandarin Chinese and study environmental engineering. ;) Ironically you have 3 speakers that are in my top 5!

A few more:

Copland
Bow Technologies great looking and sounding gear
Holfi Audio
Densen Audio
Thule Audio
Tangent Audio
Dali as mentioned before.
True. I left out electronics manufacturers, some of those are out of business though (Bow, Holfi, Thule). You could add Vitus Audio to the list, and there are other small high-end manufacturers as well. Primare is located in Sweden, but founded and owned by a Dane. Seas is a Norwegian company, but was once half Danish. I believe the original Dynaco speakers were made in Denmark.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do not forget Mirage, which Klipsch bought & killed off also.
Yeah but Mirage, Energy and Athena were the same company to begin with ;)

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Klipsch are ear bleeders to me, they were our cheap brand when I use to work at an Audio store when I was in College and I use to try to steer people to other brands namely "Dynaudio". Once I put them on and had them sitting side by side 95% of the people would choose Dynaudio, the other 5% went to Klipsch most likely because of cost. ;) Their are many good American brands, just not as well known, like Magnepan, Joseph Audio, Pass, Rogue Audio, etc..

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I had a pair of mirage speakers ...it must of been late eighties,they were a tall slim floor stander that had a fairly deep cabinet with one 4 inch or so driver and a tweeter...no idea what model it was now.they were the best sounding speakers I had owned to that point.A friend who heard them was pissed that they blew away his 901 Bose!:)...for about 1k less.

·
Registered
214 Posts
didge70: As Octa Stated the Scasonics 2.5 are great, but I would lump them into more of the Excites range. I think the Focus 260 is very good, different sounding than the 2.5, not saying which is better but I prefer the more balanced Dynaudio has to give you when it comes to comparing the Scansonics and Dynaudio which I do daily, both are great, just think they are different. Let your own ears be the judge!
Of course the Scansonic 2.5s could be compared to the Excite range of loudspeakers, or any other range of loudspeakers. I have listened extensively to both my Excite X-12s and my Scansonic 2.5s in the same room powered with the same gear, and there really isn't much to compare there, other than the differences. I really do like my X-12s but they're not in the league the 2.5s are, at least not to my ears. Perhaps an Excite floorstander would be better comparison?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Not good. Audiovox is the killer of quality brand names..........

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
looks like everyone is on vacation,here are a couple of pics of my confidence centre,and my neat iotas next to the excite 12.
I used to have focus 160s as surrounds,seemed like such a waste.Just playing around until the xd 600s arrive.
The iotas work good for side surrounds but they are not close to the excites for lower frequencies.
I will need to buy something new for 2 channel eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Of course the Scansonic 2.5s could be compared to the Excite range of loudspeakers, or any other range of loudspeakers. I have listened extensively to both my Excite X-12s and my Scansonic 2.5s in the same room powered with the same gear, and there really isn't much to compare there, other than the differences. I really do like my X-12s but they're not in the league the 2.5s are, at least not to my ears. Perhaps an Excite floorstander would be better comparison?
I would agree, comparing a very good floor stander to a bookshelf could be difficult too do, especially with the 2.5s. I agree with your last statement! ;) I had the X12, very nice but there are other bookshelves for the same money or less that sounded better to my ears. The new X14/X14A and X16 are much better in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Let the fun continue! :D:D So many choices...

Your photos look good. I'm okay with my rosewood X12s but I do like your white ones!
Thanks,don't hate...but my plans for 2 channel are to keep everything British...I can always come back to dyn,the focus 160s were excellent in this set-up.They will be my gauge,the excites and iotas will be used for surround channels.I may join cd and jax and try pmc's,not sure yet... Neat also have a few that I might be interested in too, they are designed to mate well with naim:)Magnepans look like they would be way too big for my room,Dont really care for the looks of a huge panel either,scan-sonic has my interest too...not British though:(

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
looks like everyone is on vacation,here are a couple of pics of my confidence center,and my neat iotas next to the excite 12.
I used to have focus 160s as surrounds,seemed like such a waste.Just playing around until the xd 600s arrive.
The iotas work good for side surrounds but they are not close to the excites for lower frequencies.
I will need to buy something new for 2 channel eventually.
What are the XD600's chopped liver????
BTW nice pic's and nice system (IMO Naim is hard to beat for the money) :D

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
What are the XD600's chopped liver????
BTW nice pic's and nice system (IMO Naim is hard to beat for the money) :D
Octa,the xds will reside in my basement hometheatre...nothing better than Jeff beck live at Ronnie Scott's on blueray.I like video with my audio ,I have tons of concert bluerays.That said...I will definetly be using the xds for 2 channel too:p.my naim journey started started with the uniqute 2,soon I added the supernait... Then the hi-cap... Where will it end?gotta love that PRAT:)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Octa,the xds will reside in my basement hometheater...nothing better than Jeff beck live at Ronnie Scott's on blueray.I like video with my audio ,I have tons of concert bluerays.That said...I will definetly be using the xds for 2 channel too:p.my naim journey started started with the uniqute 2,soon I added the supernait... Then the hi-cap... Where will it end? gotta love that PRAT:)
It will end when 1 of 3 things happens. First - If you ever hear a sound you like a LOT better. 2 - When you finally decide yourself hey I hit the point of diminishing returns. 3 - When your wallet/bank acct says hey buddy there is nothing here. :eek::D;):cool:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
It will end when 1 of 3 things happens. First - If you ever hear a sound you like a LOT better. 2 - When you finally decide yourself hey I hit the point of diminishing returns. 3 - When your wallet/bank acct says hey buddy there is nothing here. :eek::D;):cool:
That's kinda why I went the xd route, only cables to upgrade from here;)Just out of curiosity...have you heard the raidho's on a supernait 2?No way I can afford those...but would that be the "lot better" you refer to:cool:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
That's kinda why I went the xd route, only cables to upgrade from here;)Just out of curiosity...have you heard the raidho's on a supernait 2?No way I can afford those...but would that be the "lot better" you refer to:cool:
No I haven't heard the SN2 with Raidho's (only the nap500). But Callas01's friend had the SN2 with Dyn C4 Sigs then upgraded to the Raidho D2's (nothing sounds bad in Callas01's girlfriends room :D:D).

As far as a lot better? Maybe - I say that because some folks will hear Raidho Diamond series and be 'haunted' by the sound signature. Others will like them a lot but can't justify the cost. A few may not even like them. But if your taste is like mine you will be haunted by the sound.

IMO cables should be the final tweak. If your equipment changes the cables may degrade the sound (depends on the cables). In most cases a better cable will usually sound better but if the synergy (musical to detailed or visa versa) changes too much it could be a pretty big problem. IMO again a good middle of the road cable is hard to beat until you finalize a system. Even then the cables will only add a couple to few percents better (but all the percent does add up) ;)

26181 - 26200 of 48196 Posts