AVS Forum banner

26221 - 26240 of 47690 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Anyone here, using ROON yet https://roonlabs.com/

If you don't know about it...it's basically the guys who developed SooLoos; taking their code, after they sold the closed system to Meridian...and making it open to run on any hardware!

Word is, this UI...is made to be touched. I actually just took Jax's CAPS on trade (against an Aurender N100H), and am going to turn it into a ROON machine. I'll probably document the steps, at ESAC. That's my newly formed, Eastern Shore (DelMarVa) Audio Collective; but anyone is welcome to join.

You'll just need to contact me first, as membership is only offered after approval for the moment.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

If you don't know about it...it's basically the guys who developed SooLoos; taking their code, after they sold the closed system to Meridian...and making it open to run on any hardware!

Word is, this UI...is made to be touched. I actually just took Jax's CAPS on trade (against an Aurender N100H), and am going to turn it into a ROON machine. I'll probably document the steps, at ESAC. That's my newly formed, Eastern Shore (DelMarVa) Audio Collective; but anyone is welcome to join.

You'll just need to contact me first, as membership is only offered after approval for the moment.
hey cd,I am not using ROON but i just checked out the link you provided ...looks very promising.Let us know how you like it,It might be very useful to me once i get the xd 600s.
I also have a smart tv,laptop,i pad and the naim uniqute 2.Do you think it would be a good match for me?Does it keep all your files in native format...or is it converted somehow?Would ROON not work with the aurender?Ive been thinking about music servers lately but i have been waiting for all the tech to advance to a point im happy with.Glad to hear you are enjoying the PMC s;)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
hey cd,I am not using ROON but i just checked out the link you provided ...looks very promising.Let us know how you like it,It might be very useful to me once i get the xd 600s.
I also have a smart tv,laptop,i pad and the naim uniqute 2.Do you think it would be a good match for me?Does it keep all your files in native format...or is it converted somehow?Would ROON not work with the aurender?Ive been thinking about music servers lately but i have been waiting for all the tech to advance to a point im happy with.Glad to hear you are enjoying the PMC s;)
How does your UQ2 sound with the SN2? I've thought about going this route. I want the NDX but it's just out of my budget with the SN2. I currently have a Uniti2 and really like it but always wanting to upgrade. Even if I don't really need too.:eek:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
How does your UQ2 sound with the SN2? I've thought about going this route. I want the NDX but it's just out of my budget with the SN2. I currently have a Uniti2 and really like it but always wanting to upgrade. Even if I don't really need too.:eek:
SS the uniqute 2/supernait 2 is a great combo.I have all the features turned off that i dont use including the volume control...that way i am only using the supernaits volume with the remote.
i use it for internet radio,which sounds awesome.Also i use thumb drives in the front with high-res files,This means i am not using the amp in the qute 2 but it can always be moved to a bedroom in the future.I see you have a mac-mini...some of the guys on the naim forum use that into the chord hugo/supernait 2 and are very happy with that combo.The reason i went with the supernait is it is very upgradeable...you can add a bigger amp and a subwoofer if you want.Sound wise ...i couldnt be happier,the uniqute 2 is great on its own too.Playing around today i hooked up my paradigm moniter 90p s to this set-up...wow,good electronics even make mid-fi speakers sound damn good:eek:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
SS the uniqute 2/supernait 2 is a great combo.I have all the features turned off that i dont use including the volume control...that way i am only using the supernaits volume with the remote.
i use it for internet radio,which sounds awesome.Also i use thumb drives in the front with high-res files,This means i am not using the amp in the qute 2 but it can always be moved to a bedroom in the future.I see you have a mac-mini...some of the guys on the naim forum use that into the chord hugo/supernait 2 and are very happy with that combo.The reason i went with the supernait is it is very upgradeable...you can add a bigger amp and a subwoofer if you want.Sound wise ...i couldnt be happier,the uniqute 2 is great on its own too.Playing around today i hooked up my paradigm moniter 90p s to this set-up...wow,good electronics even make mid-fi speakers sound damn good:eek:
One of the reasons I went with the U2 is simplicity. I started with an XS 2 but the upgrade path I could see was going to get expensive. Now that I've had the U2 I'm really enjoying the streaming it provides but the what if is always there wondering about the SN2.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
One of the reasons I went with the U2 is simplicity. I started with an XS 2 but the upgrade path I could see was going to get expensive. Now that I've had the U2 I'm really enjoying the streaming it provides but the what if is always there wondering about the SN2.
Supernait 2 is a great integrated...but couldn't you add a 250 Dr to your uniti 2 ?
my dealer just got a 250 Dr in which I want to hear... Must resist:)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Supernait 2 is a great integrated...but couldn't you add a 250 Dr to your uniti 2 ?
my dealer just got a 250 Dr in which I want to hear... Must resist:)
I could but before I did that I would go with the SN2/NDX combo.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts

Cool concept, and it just might fly.. Just never been a fan of pay per play, unless the quality is there... A lot of software companies are trying to go with a monthly or yearly service fees, the problem is most people after awhile will drop the service because no one can sustain these types of payments over the long haul. Meaning if I have a NetFlicks/Spotify/iTunes/Pandora/etc etc... you just end up paying too much out for redundant things, and I don't see Roon as redundant (hopefully). Perfect example a friend of mine said he cut the chord with cable, and I said what do you subscribe too? He than began to read off a list of 8 different music/movie sites and he pays out 4 times out as I do. Its very said to see the days of buying some thing that you can actually hold in your hand and say its yours. ;) See I don't want access to 10 Million files a year, I do however like Pandora/YouTube to find new music..... then I choose to buy it if I like it... I guess I am still somewhat old school. ;)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Cool concept, and it just might fly.. Just never been a fan of pay per play, unless the quality is there... A lot of software companies are trying to go with a monthly or yearly service fees, the problem is most people after awhile will drop the service because no one can sustain these types of payments over the long haul. Meaning if I have a NetFlicks/Spotify/iTunes/Pandora/etc etc... you just end up paying too much out for redundant things, and I don't see Roon as redundant (hopefully). Perfect example a friend of mine said he cut the chord with cable, and I said what do you subscribe too? He than began to read off a list of 8 different music/movie sites and he pays out 4 times out as I do. Its very said to see the days of buying some thing that you can actually hold in your hand and say its yours. ;) See I don't want access to 10 Million files a year, I do however like Pandora/YouTube to find new music..... then I choose to buy it if I like it... I guess I am still somewhat old school. ;)
I agree garman...I don't want another monthly payment just to listen to music.Looks like there is an option to buy a lifetime membership for 500 bucks.A lot of my music is stored on hard drives...flac,Dsd etc. I don't even have a NAS yet.
Not sure which route to take... Don't care for renting though:(

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
I agree garman...I don't want another monthly payment just to listen to music.Looks like there is an option to buy a lifetime membership for 500 bucks.A lot of my music is stored on hard drives...flac,Dsd etc. I don't even have a NAS yet.
Not sure which route to take... Don't care for renting though:(

The Lifetime membership does seem appealing, especially if you compare it to the yearly rate. Till one gets fiber optic lines to their house, I think Ultra High Def movies physical media will be around for about another 5+ years.

I love on how easy it is to access my music via my Oppo 105D and a hard drive just hooked up too the back of it along with a NAS hooked up to my Apple Extreme.... I just want better quality when it comes to downloads and yes I want that option, because I know its mine, when you subscribe unless you can download your renting it. ;) Heck this just leaves the doors wide open for hackers as well. I am with you on renting.

Getting back on track here are a few old speakers of mine from years past! Some newer of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Cool concept, and it just might fly.. Just never been a fan of pay per play, unless the quality is there... A lot of software companies are trying to go with a monthly or yearly service fees, the problem is most people after awhile will drop the service because no one can sustain these types of payments over the long haul. Meaning if I have a NetFlicks/Spotify/iTunes/Pandora/etc etc... you just end up paying too much out for redundant things, and I don't see Roon as redundant (hopefully). Perfect example a friend of mine said he cut the chord with cable, and I said what do you subscribe too? He than began to read off a list of 8 different music/movie sites and he pays out 4 times out as I do. Its very said to see the days of buying some thing that you can actually hold in your hand and say its yours.
See I don't want access to 10 Million files a year, I do however like Pandora/YouTube to find new music..... then I choose to buy it if I like it... I guess I am still somewhat old school.
Not sure which route to take... Don't care for renting though
Are you streaming with your UQ2? If so is it files stored in your PC?

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
I was looking at a UQ2 as I like Naim products but the simplicity of using my Oppo 105D with a hard drive hooked to it, or just using my NAS drive as the Oppo basically reads any file you throw at it, so it's been very hard to beat on that end. So no files stored on any computer, I was going to go that route but this seemed to work out in a very easy way!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I was looking at a UQ2 as I like Naim products but the simplicity of using my Oppo 105D with a hard drive hooked to it, or just using my NAS drive as the Oppo basically reads any file you throw at it, so it's been very hard to beat on that end. So no files stored on any computer, I was going to go that route but this seemed to work out in a very easy way!
I was asking no quarter about his UQ2 but do you use the Oppo app to stream? If so how is that app? The app for my 93 sucks compared to the Naim app. I've considered a 95 or 105 with a SN2 but unsure about the app.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
The App is easy and simplistic too use on the 105D..... The issue I had with Naim at the time I was going to buy it wouldn't read everything, meaning file type etc.. The GUI interface could be better, but for now it's pretty simple to use. Ever since iTunes 11, I quick using iTunes as an interface because I hate the Grid format they use now "CoverFlow" made iTunes easy and easy too manage, Apple has lost a lot of users because of that dumb (|) move. I just burn CDs/download from HDTracks dump it on my NAS or another HD I have directly hooked up to my Oppo... I just use free music services to discover new music as I have enough content to keep me busy for the rest of my years, so no need to "rent" it. ;) I just need some thing better too manage it.

On another note I am selling my Scansonic 2.5, I might go the Raidho route in the future... not sure yet as the C2s and the Magnepans are all I need for now, this could change... ;) So PM me if you know anyone interested. Regardless of my decision wonderful speakers.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The App is easy and simplistic too use on the 105D..... The issue I had with Naim at the time I was going to buy it wouldn't read everything, meaning file type etc.. The GUI interface could be better, but for now it's pretty simple to use. Ever since iTunes 11, I quick using iTunes as an interface because I hate the Grid format they use now "CoverFlow" made iTunes easy and easy too manage, Apple has lost a lot of users because of that dumb (|) move. I just burn CDs/download from HDTracks dump it on my NAS or another HD I have directly hooked up to my Oppo... I just use free music services to discover new music as I have enough content to keep me busy for the rest of my years, so no need to "rent" it.
I just need some thing better too manage it.

On another note I am selling my Scansonic 2.5, I might go the Raidho route in the future... not sure yet as the C2s and the Magnepans are all I need for now, this could change...
So PM me if you know anyone interested. Regardless of my decision wonderful speakers.
Does the Oppo app have different ways to search for files or just one way and you have to scroll through all of them to find one certain file? I wish my U2 would play DSD but that seems to be the only thing it won't play.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Does the Oppo app have different ways to search for files or just one way and you have to scroll through all of them to find one certain file? I wish my U2 would play DSD but that seems to be the only thing it won't play.
It does it by Alphabet but you have to scroll through I think you can tap on the "Letter" and get their quicker. Rhett had a Naim unit at his house, he has a very nice setup and had a Naim unit but it wouldn't read any of the files I had on my USB drive, it could have been a format issue not sure... But after that I totally was shocked I had the 105D right under my nose and decided to start using it, so far so good, with maybe the use of a better dac, but the Sabre Dacs are not too bad in the Oppo 105D and it plays SACDs and DSDs as well.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
SS No i have not done any streaming yet with the uniqute 2.I am not that good with computers
so i was going to get one of my friends over to help me set it all up.I can see the uniqute on my
network map...but i havent tried streaming,i just use a 128 gb thumbdrive in the front of the qute for now.i will get there one day:)I have about 2 terabytes of music,mostly flac files...but i also have dsf and dff which are dsd formats that i burn to discs that play directly in my teac player.I was hoping the latest firmware update would allow the qute to play dsd ,but i dont think it does:mad:I can also play flac and dsd files off my i-pad into the chord hugo dac using the onkyo hf player app.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Guys...you do understand ROON is not a streaming service? Think of it, as an alternative to JRiver; it's a media-server and UI.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Guys...you do understand ROON is not a streaming service? Think of it, as an alternative to JRiver; it's a media-server and UI.
cd when i referred to renting...i meant paying a monthly subscription,i would rather buy it flat out and be done with it:)From what i have read on your link it is still in the early/development stages...so you can be our beta tester;)The one guy was talking about a NAS with roon already implemented in it coming out in the future.Do you think i should hold off buying a NAS for a while to see if this happens?

26221 - 26240 of 47690 Posts