AVS Forum banner

26241 - 26260 of 48041 Posts

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Guys...you do understand ROON is not a streaming service? Think of it, as an alternative to JRiver; it's a media-server and UI.
Yes, I know it's software we got off track on the renting issue, but they are falling into the trap like all other software manufactures of saying you need a Yearly service fee which is BS. Adobe and other companies just starting doing this a few years ago, it's a similar situation too renting. ;) Just charge a fee for the software and a nominal time for updates, a least provide a few years of service before you start charging for updates. Thats why I like the $500 dollar fee for lifetime but they should be charging much less for a yearly. In my Opinion of course.

no quarter: You can download JRiver for a demo for 3 months to get you by, it's decent if you want to go this route. I decided to use a Oppo 105D with a NAS and skip the software route and a computer..... Free GUI and not bad, what would be nice if Roon reads everything and a hardware company could implement it in a device.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Yes, I know it's software we got off track on the renting issue, but they are falling into the trap like all other software manufactures of saying you need a Yearly service fee which is BS. Adobe and other companies just starting doing this a few years ago, it's a similar situation too renting. ;) Just charge a fee for the software and a nominal time for updates, a least provide a few years of service before you start charging for updates. Thats why I like the $500 dollar fee for lifetime but they should be charging much less for a yearly. In my Opinion of course.

no quarter: You can download JRiver for a demo for 3 months to get you by, it's decent if you want to go this route. I decided to use a Oppo 105D with a NAS and skip the software route and a computer..... Free GUI and not bad, what would be nice if Roon reads everything and a hardware company could implement it in a device.
Actually garman I already have j-river...I like it,my only problem is my 2 terabytes of music... Right now I just transfer it to thumb drives to play in the uniqute 2.(it won't accept a terabyte external hard drive.i think I could leave it plugged into my laptop and access it with up UPNP from the qute,but I haven't figured that out yet.
The best solution would probably be a NAS right?I don't really want a laptop in my listening room either...although the iPad isnt too bad esthetically;)

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
no quarter: There are a ton of ways of doing it right now... I use the Oppo 105D, I have a 3 TB Hard Drive hooked up too it with zero issues and it reads everything. If it had a better GUI I think it would rival what is out there, you can access it via the App on your iPad or iPhone etc... Or you can use it via the remote which I some times do, when using my 24" monitor instead of turing on my projector for a better GUI experience. I also have a NAS drive hooked up to my Apple Extreme and my Oppo can also read that as well. I just dumped my iTunes file on there along with another file called HiRez Music which are most of my HD Downloads and DSD files etc.. Reads everything I throw at it so far. Seems like a pretty steep increase, oh well Dynaudio speakers never sounded better with this device.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/oppo-bdp-105-universal-player/

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yes, I know it's software we got off track on the renting issue, but they are falling into the trap like all other software manufactures of saying you need a Yearly service fee which is BS. Adobe and other companies just starting doing this a few years ago, it's a similar situation too renting.
Just charge a fee for the software and a nominal time for updates, a least provide a few years of service before you start charging for updates. Thats why I like the $500 dollar fee for lifetime but they should be charging much less for a yearly. In my Opinion of course.

Actually garman I already have j-river...I like it,my only problem is my 2 terabytes of music... Right now I just transfer it to thumb drives to play in the uniqute 2.(it won't accept a terabyte external hard drive.i think I could leave it plugged into my laptop and access it with up UPNP from the qute,but I haven't figured that out yet.
The best solution would probably be a NAS right?I don't really want a laptop in my listening room either...although the iPad isnt too bad esthetically
If you have a PC you can use windows media sharing as UPNP. Just turn it on and then download the Naim app for your iPad. Jriver also has UPnP. Callas may be able to tell you how to set that up. I downloaded minimserver, it's free, but you already have jriver. Google how to do that. I'm sure it's straight forward. Once you start streaming you'll love it. I see a NDX in your future once your up and running.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
If you have a PC you can use windows media sharing as UPNP. Just turn it on and then download the Naim app for your iPad. Jriver also has UPnP. Callas may be able to tell you how to set that up. I downloaded minimserver, it's free, but you already have jriver. Google how to do that. I'm sure it's straight forward. Once you start streaming you'll love it. I see a NDX in your future once your up and running.
Ss when you say just turn it on...do you mean it's an option on my computer?I already have the naim app and the j remote app, I think I may have all the pieces I need... Just need to figure out how to get them working:eek:
Garman the oppo sounds great but there is no tv in my 2 channel setup so this would work downstairs in my hometheater...ideally I can access all my music on both setups the easiest way.
SS don't you mean an NDS;)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ss when you say just turn it on...do you mean it's an option on my computer?I already have the naim app and the j remote app, I think I may have all the pieces I need... Just need to figure out how to get them working

Garman the oppo sounds great but there is no tv in my 2 channel setup so this would work downstairs in my hometheater...ideally I can access all my music on both setups the easiest way.
SS don't you mean an NDS
Yes. Should be an option in JRiver. Hopefully Steve can chime in on this. He uses UPnP via Jriver.

Seems like you have everything you need to start streaming. Try turning on the home sharing on your PC first. That should work I believe.

I was trying to save you a few bucks with the NDX. Lol.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
No Quarter: The best think you can do is use what you have, my main listening rooms are my office and Home Theater which are right next to each other. I use a old Apple TV for my office system and since I have the Oppo unit in my HT I use that, it picks up my NAS drive via the network and I use an Oppo App to access the music either the NAS drive or the Drive I have on the back of my Oppo, plus it allows for USB drives as well. In your case I would just use what you have, I might down the road buy a pair of the Dynaudio XD or X14A Excites and go this route for my office. Either way my music can be accessed through my NAS drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Back to our favorite topic of whether the Focus line is (or isn't) being discontinued...

I see that Dedicated Audio (with a refreshed website) is no longer offering the Focus line. I'm not sure if this means anything, though...

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
cd when i referred to renting...i meant paying a monthly subscription,i would rather buy it flat out and be done with it:)From what i have read on your link it is still in the early/development stages...so you can be our beta tester;)The one guy was talking about a NAS with roon already implemented in it coming out in the future.Do you think i should hold off buying a NAS for a while to see if this happens?
NQ (and others). I have been NAS, with BIG storage, for years. It's just not great for music. I had high hopes, for the Aurender N100; but the N100H just smokes it, in terms of ease, metadata, etc.

I hate to say it...because I still maintain a 12-drive array for video; but I'm slowly porting my music, locally. You should either get an Aurender...or when I build out this old CAPS box, for ROON; I'll probably sell it to someone, who doesn't know how or want to do it themselves. So contact me about either solution. :)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Ss when you say just turn it on...do you mean it's an option on my computer?I already have the naim app and the j remote app, I think I may have all the pieces I need... Just need to figure out how to get them working:eek:
SS don't you mean an NDS;)
Yes. Should be an option in JRiver. Hopefully Steve can chime in on this. He uses UPnP via Jriver.

Seems like you have everything you need to start streaming. Try turning on the home sharing on your PC first. That should work I believe.

I was trying to save you a few bucks with the NDX. Lol.
Jriver was easy to setup as a upnp, basically I enabled it and it recognized the Uniti2 when I closed out and reopened JRiver. I use a Mac Mini as my storage/server/streamer and will eventually add an external HD. I have spotify premium but wouldn't mind trying tidal. Because my second network went out I haven't been using the upnp, but using the hiface usb/coax converter into the Uniti2 has been an excellent option. The Naim app is very simple and straight forward, I like the looks a little better with JRiver acting as the upnp.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
NQ (and others). I have been NAS, with BIG storage, for years. It's just not great for music. I had high hopes, for the Aurender N100; but the N100H just smokes it, in terms of ease, metadata, etc.

I hate to say it...because I still maintain a 12-drive array for video; but I'm slowly porting my music, locally. You should either get an Aurender...or when I build out this old CAPS box, for ROON; I'll probably sell it to someone, who doesn't know how or want to do it themselves. So contact me about either solution. :)
Honestly cd/guys I may just sit on the sidelines for a while...use what I have,I asked my computer geek friend to help me get the j-river/Upnp/uniqute up and running...he said no problem ,so I will do that. Garman,will there not be a 4 k oppo coming out soon enough?
I think once the xds arrive ... Only the music will matter for a while, regardless of how I get it to them;)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
A danish dealer just updated their webpage selling out all their Focus speakers "as the line is coming to an end"
yes...my dealer mentioned this to me last week.in the words of james hetfield...Sad but true:eek:Maybe they realize that with the new xd line its just too crowded/confusing in the Focus line.;)Solgryn...how are you liking the xds?any updates/feedback on them?I have about a month left to wait for mine to arrive...getting anxious:D
Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Off Topic question: :D

I have a older Rotel Multi-channel Amp it can be configured into 6 channels at 60 wpc, or 3 channels at 150wpc, and I have an HK 3490 receiver I use at my lake house to distribute 3 sets of speakers with a Adcom switch box trying to put the Rotel into the mix just not sure on what is the best way to hook it up? Meaning I would like a device that can send music to 3 separate speakers: 1 set upper deck, 1 set lower deck and 1 set of speakers in Kitchen. Just curious on which would be the best way too do this? Right now I am just using the HK 3490 which doesn't seem to have enough juice when running all 3 sets of speakers, plus being able to control each set would be great. I was thinking of putting in some Dynaudio in-walls! ;)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Hey guys...I have an opportunity to pick up a new Arcam D33 DAC at a good price. It doesn't do DSD...at least not yet; so there's no sense auditioning it in my systems. But I know we have some Arcam fans here; some rDAC owners. Anyone interested in an upgrade?

PM me, and I'll see if it's still available.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Off Topic question: :D

I have a older Rotel Multi-channel Amp it can be configured into 6 channels at 60 wpc, or 3 channels at 150wpc, and I have an HK 3490 receiver I use at my lake house to distribute 3 sets of speakers with a Adcom switch box trying to put the Rotel into the mix just not sure on what is the best way to hook it up? Meaning I would like a device that can send music to 3 separate speakers: 1 set upper deck, 1 set lower deck and 1 set of speakers in Kitchen. Just curious on which would be the best way too do this? Right now I am just using the HK 3490 which doesn't seem to have enough juice when running all 3 sets of speakers, plus being able to control each set would be great. I was thinking of putting in some Dynaudio in-walls! ;)
garman
The xds or xeos multiroom option might be just the ticket...may get a little too pricey for what you want though.
My cary audio cinema 12 has a second zone option with a seperate remote...i dont use it currently ...not really sure how either,wireless in-walls would be nice,if thats even possible:confused:
Wires are so eightees:D

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
garman
The xds or xeos multiroom option might be just the ticket...may get a little too pricey for what you want though.
My cary audio cinema 12 has a second zone option with a seperate remote...i dont use it currently ...not really sure how either,wireless in-walls would be nice,if thats even possible:confused:
Wires are so eightees:D
lol, wires are so 80's? I think your off by a decade.. ;) I have a crap load of unused gear, just need to find some thing that will work.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
lol, wires are so 80's? I think your off by a decade.. ;) I have a crap load of unused gear, just need to find some thing that will work.
Yeah I have some old gear I'm not using too,I don't think the hk 3490 has any preouts does it?My denon 3803 does...I think you could pick up something like it fairly cheap...used,that way you can add your rotel:)I used to use it for hometheater with my anthem amp running off the preouts to the front l and r channel.Then again,you would be just adding to the pile of old gear you have...Time for a yard sale garman:D

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Yeah I have some old gear I'm not using too,I don't think the hk 3490 has any preouts does it?My denon 3803 does...I think you could pick up something like it fairly cheap...used,that way you can add your rotel:)I used to use it for hometheater with my anthem amp running off the preouts to the front l and r channel.Then again,you would be just adding to the pile of old gear you have...Time for a yard sale garman:D
Yard sale already happening! ;) Just sold a Int. Amp, loved it just didn't use it..Remember I use run a store for a friend for 6+ years, it was a part time gig, then I was a dealer for some gear as well before I got married. So the electronics have overtaken my house! ;)

Speaking of the Focus line, not sure why they would get rid of it, I think that line makes the most sense right now. The Contour series most likely will stay because it has a Danish style to it, and I tend to like them more because they don't have the same old boxy look. Right now I am very happy with my C2's Platinums and Contour 1.3MKII and my Dynaudio HT system. Now I just need to put one of Aarons nice matching stands in-between my speakers and call it a day for awhile.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Right now I am very happy with my C2's Platinums and Contour 1.3MKII and my Dynaudio HT system. Now I just need to put one of Aarons nice matching stands in-between my speakers and call it a day for awhile.
I can't remember; did you ever own a pair of Special 25s?

26241 - 26260 of 48041 Posts