AVS Forum banner

26261 - 26280 of 47985 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Yes, for a short time many years ago trying to decide between that speaker and the Confidencec C1 which were new. I kept the C1s, but the 25s have been haunting ever since! :wink:

Reactions: amatuerholic

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I just ordered a pair of 4 meter Xlr to rca analog interconnects(nordost heimdall 2)
Also a 2 meter and 4 meter digital cable(nordost heimdall 2) for my xd 600s:)
I happened to see the dealer "book",it had retail price and cost in it:eek:
Let's just say...they are definitely making money, markup was about 50%.
Garman ,you worked at a dealer... Is the markup similar on speakers?
Now all I can do is wait:cool:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I just ordered a pair of 4 meter Xlr to rca analog interconnects(nordost heimdall 2)
Also a 2 meter and 4 meter digital cable(nordost heimdall 2) for my xd 600s:)
I happened to see the dealer "book",it had retail price and cost in it:eek:
Let's just say...they are definitely making money, markup was about 50%.
Garman ,you worked at a dealer... Is the markup similar on speakers?
Now all I can do is wait:cool:
Selling a $50 cable for $700 is very profitable.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
no quarter: Not really, there are 3 camps in Cables.... One believe they can hear moderate too huge differences, others that believe it is all snake oil and BS, and people like me very slight differences at best but not worth the huge differences in price. ;) Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. I had Heimdall and Blue Heaven and Red Dawn and could not distinguish them apart neither could 99.99999 percent of the people that compare them, in the right way. So this can of worms has been opened for years! ;) Most of the cable I have is stuff I got for free as demo cables, when Audiophiles (the Store) went under I had a whole closet full of stuff that I sold years ago on Audiogon.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
no quarter: Not really, there are 3 camps in Cables.... One believe they can hear moderate too huge differences, others that believe it is all snake oil and BS, and people like me very slight differences at best but not worth the huge differences in price. ;) Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. I had Heimdall and Blue Heaven and Red Dawn and could not distinguish them apart neither could 99.99999 percent of the people that compare them, in the right way. So this can of worms has been opened for years! ;) Most of the cable I have is stuff I got for free as demo cables, when Audiophiles (the Store) went under I had a whole closet full of stuff that I sold years ago on Audiogon.
My analogy of cables is...If you are going to climb mount Everest,you are not going to stop 100 feet from the top,cables are that last bit of detail.Icing on the cake...besides ,it helps me sleep at night knowing I am not missing something:p

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
My analogy of cables is...If you are going to climb mount Everest,you are not going to stop 100 feet from the top,cables are that last bit of detail.Icing on the cake...besides ,it helps me sleep at night knowing I am not missing something:p
lol, there are plenty of people that have climbed Everest with just pain old rope! ;) jk!

On another off topic note, I have a Stereo Receiver up at our Lake house and it has A/B speakers, currently I run those to a switch Adcom Switch Box. The Speaker A, I run in the Kitchen and speakers B I run to the switch box which run Speakers on the top of our deck outside and the bottom of the Deck. Usually it is rare all are on at the same time, but I would like more juice going to the speakers. The HK 3490 has decent amount 120wpc but it has pre/out puts and main inputs, what I like about the Receiver it has decent internal dacs and digital inputs, but I am trying to find away to hook a 3 channel 150wpc Amp up to it and be able to run 3 sets of speakers. It would be cool if I could find a Muilti source Pre/Amp to use this Amp with, if anyone has any suggestions.

·
Registered
390 Posts
So no more Focus line, Contour is down to two special editions...............interesting. The only full lines are Excite and Confidence. The way is should be probably, an entry level and full blown range. Never saw the need for a middle line to muddle things up.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
So no more Focus line, Contour is down to two special editions...............interesting. The only full lines are Excite and Confidence. The way is should be probably, an entry level and full blown range. Never saw the need for a middle line to muddle things up.
It will be interesting to see where they "rank" the focus xd line on their site...below confidence...above contour?::D I see they have changed their site...the xds are kinda grouped together with the xeo's line.focus is still there for now

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
What are the benefits of the Confidence C1 Platinum vs. the Contour S1.4 LE?
Different drivers and cabinets (not sure regarding the crossovers and internal wiring). Best to let your ears hear the difference and decide from there. In my personal opinion the C1 is better balanced from top to bottom.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Honestly cd/guys I may just sit on the sidelines for a while...use what I have,I asked my computer geek friend to help me get the j-river/Upnp/uniqute up and running...he said no problem ,so I will do that. Garman,will there not be a 4 k oppo coming out soon enough?
I think once the xds arrive ... Only the music will matter for a while, regardless of how I get it to them;)
Has your friend got you streaming yet?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I know we've talked about adding outriggers to the focus line of speakers, I ended up getting them and here's some photos.

I like them a lot, they're much nicer in person then from the photos I saw online. The seller says to install them with 1/4-20 wood inserts that require drilling into the bottom of the speakers and I questioned why the hell would I do that? So typically a 1/4 bolt has a 5/16" hole on a washer, my thought was well if that's the case, an M8 bolt will fit just well enough that I wouldn't have to drill any holes. Turns out the slots are about a 1/2" wide, so no point in drilling holes and voiding a warranty! The stability is great as both the wife and I love the look more then before.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I know we've talked about adding outriggers to the focus line of speakers, I ended up getting them and here's some photos.

I like them a lot, they're much nicer in person then from the photos I saw online. The seller says to install them with 1/4-20 wood inserts that require drilling into the bottom of the speakers and I questioned why the hell would I do that? So typically a 1/4 bolt has a 5/16" hole on a washer, my thought was well if that's the case, an M8 bolt will fit just well enough that I wouldn't have to drill any holes. Turns out the slots are about a 1/2" wide, so no point in drilling holes and voiding a warranty! The stability is great as both the wife and I love the look more then before.
Great Addition Steve :D, Nice pics of the new decoupling system on your 260s.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
callas: any improvements to SQ by chance?

I don't understand the drilling+wood inserts advice from the seller. WTF. From the pics, I thought installation only involved the bolts. Did you have to go to the Home Depot to get the right bolts? Seems like it was pretty easy once you ignored the seller's advice.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Has your friend got you streaming yet?
SS
no not yet,he is coming over one day this week.
i did run the cable from the qute to the router...i was using wifi connection before.
I do see the qute on my laptop,just not sure what to do next...how to activate upnp:eek:
I am going to google it and see if i can figure it out on my own,unless one of you fine gentleman can help:confused:
nice setup callas.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
SS
no not yet,he is coming over one day this week.
i did run the cable from the qute to the router...i was using wifi connection before.
I do see the qute on my laptop,just not sure what to do next...how to activate upnp:eek:
I am going to google it and see if i can figure it out on my own,unless one of you fine gentleman can help:confused:
nice setup callas.
Do you have home sharing turned on for your PC? When you open the Naim app does it see your U2?

26261 - 26280 of 47985 Posts