AVS Forum banner

26281 - 26300 of 47990 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
callas: any improvements to SQ by chance?

I don't understand the drilling+wood inserts advice from the seller. WTF. From the pics, I thought installation only involved the bolts. Did you have to go to the Home Depot to get the right bolts? Seems like it was pretty easy once you ignored the seller's advice.
I didn't get the part of adding the inserts either, especially when the slot on the bars is wide enough to accommodate 3/8" and M10 size bolts, at that point you can pretty much work with any stock insert the speaker manufacturer uses, so why drill and use such small bolts. I did not have to go to HD, my business is selling nuts and bolts and all other types of industrial products and safety, so I just grabbed them outta my store. SQ improvements idk I can't really say, I thought at first that the bass was weaker, but I am pretty sure now that it's just better blended, I had pulled the speakers out 7 additional inches now that I felt confident they weren't going to spill over if bumped. The front baffle went from 25" to 32" off the back wall. I wasn't really looking for it to sound better, to be honest, with 3 kids I wanted to make sure that the speakers stayed upright when they get to rough-housing. Perhaps the fact that I feel confident enough now to pull them further out and better balance the bass and open up the sound stage are the improvements I needed.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Do you have home sharing turned on for your PC? When you open the Naim app does it see your U2?
SS
I dont think so...that is what i dont know how to do.Do you mean when i open it on my i-pad or something on my laptop?On the i-pad,it sees the qute...but when i tap it,there is a circle in the middle of the screen that just spins and nothing happens.But i can control internet radio from the i-pad.
maybe you could tell me how to turn sharing on...step by step,i tried watching a couple of youtube videos ,but got confused:confused:confused:When i open computer,then network...it shows the qute under media devices(on laptop)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If your using windows I believe it's in the settings to turn on sharing. I'm unsure to tell you step by step as I'm using a Mac now but it from memory on an older version of windows, XP, it seems like it was very straight forward. Since you have JRiver go to their forum and do a quick search for starting UPnP. If that doesn't result in a step by step, I bet it will, ask the question on the forum. Those people seem very helpful. I have the trial version but haven't messed with it a lot. Another place to check is the Naim forum. Also very helpful. They will probably suggest minimiserver, it's free, as would I. Minimiserver also has a great forum that is full of helpful people. I wish I could tell you how step by step but as you can tell I rely a lot on other people to help me too. The good news is I was able to get it up and running wih their help and I'm far from being very knowledgable about computers. Give those options a shot. Good luck! You can do it. :D

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If your using windows I believe it's in the settings to turn on sharing. I'm unsure to tell you step by step as I'm using a Mac now but it from memory on an older version of windows, XP, it seems like it was very straight forward. Since you have JRiver go to their forum and do a quick search for starting UPnP. If that doesn't result in a step by step, I bet it will, ask the question on the forum. Those people seem very helpful. I have the trial version but haven't messed with it a lot. Another place to check is the Naim forum. Also very helpful. They will probably suggest minimiserver, it's free, as would I. Minimiserver also has a great forum that is full of helpful people. I wish I could tell you how step by step but as you can tell I rely a lot on other people to help me too. The good news is I was able to get it up and running wih their help and I'm far from being very knowledgable about computers. Give those options a shot. Good luck! You can do it. :D
ss
thanks for all the suggestions,i just talked to him and he is stopping by tomorrow...i will let you know how things go:)Saves me from stressing about it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If your using windows I believe it's in the settings to turn on sharing. I'm unsure to tell you step by step as I'm using a Mac now but it from memory on an older version of windows, XP, it seems like it was very straight forward. Since you have JRiver go to their forum and do a quick search for starting UPnP. If that doesn't result in a step by step, I bet it will, ask the question on the forum. Those people seem very helpful. I have the trial version but haven't messed with it a lot. Another place to check is the Naim forum. Also very helpful. They will probably suggest minimiserver, it's free, as would I. Minimiserver also has a great forum that is full of helpful people. I wish I could tell you how step by step but as you can tell I rely a lot on other people to help me too. The good news is I was able to get it up and running wih their help and I'm far from being very knowledgable about computers. Give those options a shot. Good luck! You can do it.
ss
thanks for all the suggestions,i just talked to him and he is stopping by tomorrow...i will let you know how things go
Saves me from stressing about it.
Very cool! You'll enjoy it once it's working.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
On another off topic note, I have a Stereo Receiver up at our Lake house and it has A/B speakers, currently I run those to a switch Adcom Switch Box. The Speaker A, I run in the Kitchen and speakers B I run to the switch box which run Speakers on the top of our deck outside and the bottom of the Deck. Usually it is rare all are on at the same time, but I would like more juice going to the speakers. The HK 3490 has decent amount juice at 120wpc, but it has pre/out puts and main inputs, what I like about the Receiver it has decent internal dacs and digital inputs, but I am trying to find away to hook up a Rotel 6/3 channel 60 x 6 or 3 X 150wpc Amp up to it and be able to run 3 sets of speakers. It would be cool if I could find a Muilti source Pre/Amp to use this Amp with, if anyone has any suggestions? I heard the BlueSound devices are nice and let you access each zone via a smart App, right now I am doing old school and trying to keep cost down, but a very good dealer said I needed 3 of the Bluesounds to get what I need. The cost is 449 a pop, seems a tad expensive for a Lake House if you ask me... He has always steered me in the right direction the other route is Sonos but then the quality drops off. Right now I need to run in and turn music up or down and change the music manually which takes away from the relaxation of course. :D On a on Topic note, I wish Dynaudio made Outdoor speakers, like the Focus XD line! ;)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
On another off topic note, I have a Stereo Receiver up at our Lake house and it has A/B speakers, currently I run those to a switch Adcom Switch Box. The Speaker A, I run in the Kitchen and speakers B I run to the switch box which run Speakers on the top of our deck outside and the bottom of the Deck. Usually it is rare all are on at the same time, but I would like more juice going to the speakers. The HK 3490 has decent amount juice at 120wpc, but it has pre/out puts and main inputs, what I like about the Receiver it has decent internal dacs and digital inputs, but I am trying to find away to hook up a Rotel 6/3 channel 60 x 6 or 3 X 150wpc Amp up to it and be able to run 3 sets of speakers. It would be cool if I could find a Muilti source Pre/Amp to use this Amp with, if anyone has any suggestions? I heard the BlueSound devices are nice and let you access each zone via a smart App, right now I am doing old school and trying to keep cost down, but a very good dealer said I needed 3 of the Bluesounds to get what I need. The cost is 449 a pop, seems a tad expensive for a Lake House if you ask me... He has always steered me in the right direction the other route is Sonos but then the quality drops off. Right now I need to run in and turn music up or down and change the music manually which takes away from the relaxation of course. :D On a on Topic note, I wish Dynaudio made Outdoor speakers, like the Focus XD line! ;)
why not just get a distribution amplifier? the only thing be careful about the gain levels, make sure you get one that has a constant gain across all distribution. then you can do analog out to a power amp, such as your rotel then you can use that to power the speakers better.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
why not just get a distribution amplifier? the only thing be careful about the gain levels, make sure you get one that has a constant gain across all distribution. then you can do analog out to a power amp, such as your rotel then you can use that to power the speakers better.
Thanks for the reply...

The issue I am having is the HK 3490 I have now has enough juice, but I have to set Speaker 1 on the Kitchen and then I run the Speaker 2 to a Adcom speaker switch box and I use that for upper and lower deck, I would like the Kitchen to be independent of the sound out side and be able to control the 2-3 zones independently via volume control using an App. The only way too do that is use Sonos Connect or the newer BlueSound and buy 3 nodes and hook them directly up to the 6 channel Rotel I have.. That is $449 X 3! :eek: The only other way to get around it is use a iPod and put it on the doc and let it run in shuffle mode, but I have to still control the volume via the receiver. Old school but it works. ;)

http://www.bluesound.com/products/node/

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Thanks for the reply...

The issue I am having is the HK 3490 I have now has enough juice, but I have to set Speaker 1 on the Kitchen and then I run the Speaker 2 to a Adcom speaker switch box and I use that for upper and lower deck, I would like the Kitchen to be independent of the sound out side and be able to control the 2-3 zones independently via volume control using an App. The only way too do that is use Sonos Connect or the newer BlueSound and buy 3 nodes and hook them directly up to the 6 channel Rotel I have.. That is $449 X 3! :eek: The only other way to get around it is use a iPod and put it on the doc and let it run in shuffle mode, but I have to still control the volume via the receiver. Old school but it works. ;)

Would the same music be playing in all three zones or are you wanting different sources?
If it's all the same, you could get a denon/marantz avr and use the DeRemote app to control the volume in each zone independently. My denon x4000 works great for this. The wife can even put pandora on in the den via directv and I can stream via AirPlay outside on the deck. It also has preouts for each zone for adding external amps.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Thanks for the reply...

I know exactly what you're trying to do. My dad does it. He can have a movie in in the theater room and have music playing outside in the outdoor kitchen/patio, and still have something else playing inside the house in the indoor kitchen/dining room. I know he uses his zone 2 outs and zone 3 outs to a distribution amplifier. He was into smart home installations before it was popular and it was more exclusive. He controls it all with a wall unit control center.

You something with at least a zone 2 output if you want to play 2 different sources at once.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I know exactly what you're trying to do. My dad does it. He can have a movie in in the theater room and have music playing outside in the outdoor kitchen/patio, and still have something else playing inside the house in the indoor kitchen/dining room. I know he uses his zone 2 outs and zone 3 outs to a distribution amplifier. He was into smart home installations before it was popular and it was more exclusive. He controls it all with a wall unit control center.

You something with at least a zone 2 output if you want to play 2 different sources at once.
Funny thing is I did all of this when I was at Audiophiles, but it was all wired with keypads! lol Doh, I just trying too use what I have instead of buying some thing else. The Rotel Amp I have will do the work of a distribution Amp, and the HK has Pre Outs, I could use my Onkyo Receiver but that only has 1/2 Zones and I need 3.... So I was thinking of just using the BlueSounds Node for each zone and then everything can be done wirelessly via a Smartphone or iPad App. Again, it would be cool to have a Speaker like the X14 Excite or another outdoor series speakers from Dynaudio for installation purposes, I know they have the IC series line which sounds great.

Similar to Sonos, but much higher quality music....

ambesolman: Great point, I believe you can find Bluetooth enabled receivers that can do this as well...another option I am looking at, by just connecting the 3 Nodes to the Rotel 6 channel Amp, this makes each Zone run independent of each other and you can control volumes separately etc.. The Denon looks like the ticket, but still going to cost me almost as much as just using the Nodes... :( unless I can find it cheap.... Your Denon unit is on Ebay for $749, or I could use my Marantz 7005 and just upgrade my HT unit. The only issue I have with AVRrs as they make things way too confusing when it comes to hooking Network capabilities up, some times the simplest route is the most expensive one. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't get the part of adding the inserts either, especially when the slot on the bars is wide enough to accommodate 3/8" and M10 size bolts, at that point you can pretty much work with any stock insert the speaker manufacturer uses, so why drill and use such small bolts. I did not have to go to HD, my business is selling nuts and bolts and all other types of industrial products and safety, so I just grabbed them outta my store. SQ improvements idk I can't really say, I thought at first that the bass was weaker, but I am pretty sure now that it's just better blended, I had pulled the speakers out 7 additional inches now that I felt confident they weren't going to spill over if bumped. The front baffle went from 25" to 32" off the back wall. I wasn't really looking for it to sound better, to be honest, with 3 kids I wanted to make sure that the speakers stayed upright when they get to rough-housing. Perhaps the fact that I feel confident enough now to pull them further out and better balance the bass and open up the sound stage are the improvements I needed.
I should have bookmarked your post about the footers... Can you tell us once again the where those footer can be ordered? Thanks in advance.

I'm still waiting on my 260...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Funny thing is I did all of this when I was at Audiophiles, but it was all wired with keypads! lol Doh, I just trying too use what I have instead of buying some thing else. The Rotel Amp I have will do the work of a distribution Amp, and the HK has Pre Outs, I could use my Onkyo Receiver but that only has 1/2 Zones and I need 3.... So I was thinking of just using the BlueSounds Node for each zone and then everything can be done wirelessly via a Smartphone or iPad App. Again, it would be cool to have a Speaker like the X14 Excite or another outdoor series speakers from Dynaudio for installation purposes, I know they have the IC series line which sounds great.

Similar to Sonos, but much higher quality music....

ambesolman: Great point, I believe you can find Bluetooth enabled receivers that can do this as well...another option I am looking at, by just connecting the 3 Nodes to the Rotel 6 channel Amp, this makes each Zone run independent of each other and you can control volumes separately etc.. The Denon looks like the ticket, but still going to cost me almost as much as just using the Nodes... :( unless I can find it cheap.... Your Denon unit is on Ebay for $749, or I could use my Marantz 7005 and just upgrade my HT unit. The only issue I have with AVRrs as they make things way too confusing when it comes to hooking Network capabilities up, some times the simplest route is the most expensive one. ;)
Garman
how about a naim muso for outside?It has built in speakers...is wireless and can be run off an i-phone.
I was going to buy one for work because they sound really good for a portable unit but i decided to go with a headphones
and my chord hugo.
That way you can easily bring it inside later...then you only need 2 other zones:)
i have heard one at my dealer and thought it was quite good,450 watts built in.
That unit got me interested in naim...now i am climbing up that ladder;)

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
no quarter: I heard that unit and it does sound very nice, but I have a pair of CS1000 PSB outdoor speakers that sound amazing and I just want to do Zones and be able to control everything via an App.... Trying to use what I have or simplify it with what I have. ;) If possible.

On a side note I just saw that Naim unit, pretty flipping cool looking and user friendly. I also just found out our dealer just started carrying Naim, finally some one in our state has the gear!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I should have bookmarked your post about the footers... Can you tell us once again the where those footer can be ordered? Thanks in advance.

I'm still waiting on my 260...
Soundocity.com

I bought the ones with the rubber stop bottoms I think those took a couple days for him to receive and ship to me, took about 2 weeks. I think the spikes are more common and will ship quicker.

http://www.soundocity.com

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
ss
thanks for all the suggestions,i just talked to him and he is stopping by tomorrow...i will let you know how things go:)Saves me from stressing about it.
Well? How is it? Don't keep us waiting.:p

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Well? How is it? Don't keep us waiting.:p
ss
I did get it hooked up but have not spent much time with it yet.
one thing I thought that was really cool...each artist you play has a little book of information that you can scroll through. I am using the naim app on the I-pad but everything is running through j river.
My hard drive is plugged into a port on the laptop.One thing I did notice though... Every file I play seems to be limited to 44 kHz ,I noticed this because my hugo changes color with different frequencies.I think there is a setting in j-river to keep the file in native format,but I have not had time to figure that out yet:confused:Maybe callas can help me with that?My qute is the 192khz version so it should stream up to that level right?Now I have soooo much music available at the tap of a finger:)Should have some time to play with it today before work...gotta find the res setting ,if anyone can help...thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Well? How is it? Don't keep us waiting.
ss
one thing I thought that was really cool...each artist you play has a little book of information that you can scroll through. I am using the naim app on the I-pad but everything is running through j river.
My hard drive is plugged into a port on the laptop.One thing I did notice though... Every file I play seems to be limited to 44 kHz ,I noticed this because my hugo changes color with different frequencies.I think there is a setting in j-river to keep the file in native format,but I have not had time to figure that out yet
Maybe callas can help me with that?My qute is the 192khz version so it should stream up to that level right?Now I have soooo much music available at the tap of a finger
Should have some time to play with it today before work...gotta find the res setting ,if anyone can help...thanks so much.
I think that is jriver. I had the same problem but never tried to figure it out either. Once you start using it you'll never play a CD again.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
ss
My hard drive is plugged into a port on the laptop.One thing I did notice though... Every file I play seems to be limited to 44 kHz ,I noticed this because my hugo changes color with different frequencies.I think there is a setting in j-river to keep the file in native format,but I have not had time to figure that out yet:confused:Maybe callas can help me with that?My qute is the 192khz version so it should stream up to that level right?Now I have soooo much music available at the tap of a finger:)Should have some time to play with it today before work...gotta find the res setting ,if anyone can help...thanks so much.
I have done both computer Audio with JRiver and just burning in a good universal format using DBpowerAmp, I find using a media device is less cumbersome that using a computer based system. I use the 105D as the music server burn all my music either to Wav or AIFF and plug a hard drive in the back of the Oppo and bingo nice quality music. Now I might add an additional Dac into the mix even though the one in the Oppo is pretty good. I haven't used JRiver in a while but I know even iTunes will let you rip at 48Khz etc..

Speaking of sampling rates etc.. I heard this Dac today and was very impress especially when the dealer who I trust said it compares to other dacs they have at 3 times the cost. I am sure some of you have had it or tried it....... CD? ;)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0115/Hegel_HD12_DAC_Review.htm

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have done both computer Audio with JRiver and just burning in a good universal format using DBpowerAmp, I find using a media device is less cumbersome that using a computer based system. I use the 105D as the music server burn all my music either to Wav or AIFF and plug a hard drive in the back of the Oppo and bingo nice quality music. Now I might add an additional Dac into the mix even though the one in the Oppo is pretty good. I haven't used JRiver in a while but I know even iTunes will let you rip at 48Khz etc..

Speaking of sampling rates etc.. I heard this Dac today and was very impress especially when the dealer who I trust said it compares to other dacs they have at 3 times the cost. I am sure some of you have had it or tried it....... CD? ;)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0115/Hegel_HD12_DAC_Review.htm
garman
looks like a good ,bang for buck dac...have not heard it yet.As far as streaming goes,i have not figured out why i am only getting 44 khz yet:(I think cd mentioned he is getting away from a computer based system...I May too because i like plug and play type set-ups,i just hate trying to figure out all the settings with j-river...I would prefer a music server that holds all my files,plays all my files and sounds sublime;)I may consider the 105 d that you use, or those aurenders seem to be all the rage right now.It just seems like too many variables when using a computer for streaming...and im not convinced this gives the best sound quality,which is what we all want.

26281 - 26300 of 47990 Posts