AVS Forum banner

27421 - 27440 of 47731 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Im picking up my confidence 4s from a previous owner next week. I am excited spent sunday afternoon installing a trailer hitch on my wifes car to bring them home.

Anyways, on the subject of tweeter protection, I will need to fabricate something as they will be in my living room where my kids regualarly play. I might try to draft up a device and 3d print them.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Im picking up my confidence 4s from a previous owner next week. I am excited spent sunday afternoon installing a trailer hitch on my wifes car to bring them home.

Anyways, on the subject of tweeter protection, I will need to fabricate something as they will be in my living room where my kids regualarly play. I might try to draft up a device and 3d print them.
Congrats on the C4's? You could always leave the grills on until you want to listen. When my Grandkids came over the grills went on my C1's when I had them

·
Registered
647 Posts
Congrats on the C4's? You could always leave the grills on until you want to listen. When my Grandkids came over the grills went on my C1's when I had them
Definately! I will leave the grills on but I don't think they will be able to protect the speakers from little hands. For my contours anyways, the tweeters are still pretty vulnerable with the grills on. I haven't even seen the c4s yet but I assume its similar.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Definately! I will leave the grills on but I don't think they will be able to protect the speakers from little hands. For my contours anyways, the tweeters are still pretty vulnerable with the grills on. I haven't even seen the c4s yet but I assume its similar.
Depending which Contour you have I believe the C4 tweeters are higher up. But out of sight out of mind!! BTW did you get Original - MKII/Signature or Platinum?? SQ wise only the original is slightly different. That being said they sound best when cranked up. What finish did you get? The C4's is my favorite Dyn IF you have the right room for them. C2's were just a little too much for my room but the C1 was perfect in the Dyn line-up.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Nice 1, Enrico. I'm with F12 :) and Dyn dm3/7 .
Hope Dyn have those dome tweeter "protector" as a selection for customers.
My son accidentally push the soft dome tweeter many times. Luckily is silk dome. Easy to put back to its shape.
I wrote MikeM at Dynaudio and he was nice to send me two. My local Dynaudio dealer did not have them. They are not ultra secure inside the tweeter bolts but they work pretty well and rarely fall out.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
GT: Just use these, they don't affect the sound at all! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Depending which Contour you have I believe the C4 tweeters are higher up. But out of sight out of mind!! BTW did you get Original - MKII/Signature or Platinum?? SQ wise only the original is slightly different. That being said they sound best when cranked up. What finish did you get? The C4's is my favorite Dyn IF you have the right room for them. C2's were just a little too much for my room but the C1 was perfect in the Dyn line-up.
I have 1.8s so way before the contours were upside down. It's funny so many dyn speakers have obvious tweeter damage. I've seen ads on eBay that say mint condition with visible dimples.

The c4s I'm purchasing are rosewood laqure, I was in the market for contour 5.4s or focus 380s, but ran across these for a great deal. They were new in 07 so I think they are the plane old originals. I'm still hoping they will be a big upgrade over 20yo contours

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I have 1.8s so way before the contours were upside down. It's funny so many dyn speakers have obvious tweeter damage. I've seen ads on eBay that say mint condition with visible dimples.

The c4s I'm purchasing are rosewood laqure, I was in the market for contour 5.4s or focus 380s, but ran across these for a great deal. They were new in 07 so I think they are the plane old originals. I'm still hoping they will be a big upgrade over 20yo contours
I'm sure you will be more than pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
That's sooo geeky; and I mean that, in the best possible way :cool:
I'm 39, the first movie I remember seeing was Pinocchio in a rerelease my mom took me and my older brother to. The second movie I remember in the theater was Empire Strikes Back! My dad and uncle took my brother, my 2 cousins, and I and its still my favorite Star Wars movie to this day. My older brother took me to Return of the Jedi matinee. I used to spend the summers as a latchkey kid watching the original 3 movies plus Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom, plus countless James Bond movies (especially A View to A Kill). Anyways, these movies resonate with me to my core.
You just don't understand the whole GEEKY Star Wars following!! You must be old!! LOL
I'm a Star Wars geek and I don't care. But I'm not sure I'm old. LOL.
I'm doing the same with my oldest daughter except we started with episode IV. She really liked it and is looking forward to watching more.
We were thinking going with the favorites first IV-VI but in the end, we felt that it'd be best to get The Phantom Menance out of the way or we might now watch it, and also that going in order will give us the complete story from start to finish!

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
I had the C4s and now have the C2 because of room restrictions mostly, the tweeters are higher up, so hopefully the little ones can't reach that high! ;)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What do you mean you don't have such a great system? You have $6k speakers and that JL sub!! I'd love to hear what your system does!

I think that sounds about right on the last time I watched that movie.
I do not have Focus 260 and DM surrounds :p My center is just a stupid on wall speaker :rolleyes:

Last time i watched it was when I had the Standard Forest with the M1S center for my part.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I do not have Focus 260 and DM surrounds :p My center is just a stupid on wall speaker :rolleyes:

Last time i watched it was when I had the Standard Forest with the M1S center for my part.
Lmao.... That's not what I meant.... I think there's 5-6 of us with 260s and 3-4 of us have the 210C and DM2/6s. It seems that while Otto says that the focus wasn't selling that well, at least on this forum, right now, the focus is in the majority of ownership.

Damn those stupid on-walls!! :p

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Has anyone heard Excite X18 yet? Mine is still more than a week away, but can't wait to hear impressions of others :)
I don't think anybody has.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I made a "listening blind test" with a couple of friends. It was mainly to determine who had the better hearing. Of course I had :p

BUT I learned something that I have feared for a long time and has been frustrating me very much but didnt want to admit to myself. My hearing is far from identical from left ear compared to right ear.
I have very often been annoyed by my rooms they always seemed to skew the sound towards the left speaker. Sometimes more pronounced than others. Sometimes so much I feel like the voice of a singer is coming almost only from one speaker. I have always blamed my rooms, the speaker, the amp or whatever. But now I know.

My friends always heard the voice dead center or maybe slightly to the right, while I heard it to the left. It is always to the left. And it is so increadibly annoying to the point I dont want to hear music.

Have any of you had any experience with this. What is the best way to "solve" it or work around it. I have tried a lot of things. What works the best is either holding a hand up forming a sealshell to catch the sound to my right ear or remove some of the sound from my left ear. But this is highly impractical and looks stupid as F*** :D

Another thing is sitting a bit to the right in the listening position, but this only helps a little and can make other frequencies weird. Asymetric toe-in does not seem to do much. I also tried a bit of having one speaker closer, but this didnt help much either.

OTTO J: Does Dynaudio have any solution to this? I mean, I have a pair of 400XD and perhaps the speaker could be tuned to this somehow, since it is digital crossover etc. I would love to be a guinney pig (I live in Denmark :p)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Lmao.... That's not what I meant.... I think there's 5-6 of us with 260s and 3-4 of us have the 210C and DM2/6s. It seems that while Otto says that the focus wasn't selling that well, at least on this forum, right now, the focus is in the majority of ownership.

Damn those stupid on-walls!! :p
That's what I"m running, just a few days in and I love it. The SQ upgrade is massive and I'm not running them on anything other than my Yamaha V1700 at this point. Waiting on the rest of my gear.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
So I made a "listening blind test" with a couple of friends. It was mainly to determine who had the better hearing. Of course I had :p

BUT I learned something that I have feared for a long time and has been frustrating me very much but didnt want to admit to myself. My hearing is far from identical from left ear compared to right ear.
I have very often been annoyed by my rooms they always seemed to skew the sound towards the left speaker. Sometimes more pronounced than others. Sometimes so much I feel like the voice of a singer is coming almost only from one speaker. I have always blamed my rooms, the speaker, the amp or whatever. But now I know.

My friends always heard the voice dead center or maybe slightly to the right, while I heard it to the left. It is always to the left. And it is so increadibly annoying to the point I dont want to hear music.

Have any of you had any experience with this. What is the best way to "solve" it or work around it. I have tried a lot of things. What works the best is either holding a hand up forming a sealshell to catch the sound to my right ear or remove some of the sound from my left ear. But this is highly impractical and looks stupid as F*** :D

Another thing is sitting a bit to the right in the listening position, but this only helps a little and can make other frequencies weird. Asymetric toe-in does not seem to do much. I also tried a bit of having one speaker closer, but this didnt help much either.

OTTO J: Does Dynaudio have any solution to this? I mean, I have a pair of 400XD and perhaps the speaker could be tuned to this somehow, since it is digital crossover etc. I would love to be a guinney pig (I live in Denmark :p)
Solgryn
I used to have a similar problem,in my case the center image(voices)seemed to lean to the right side.I solved the problem by putting up some Viscoustics absorption panels at the first reflection points.Just a thought,but maybe
you could experiment with putting an absorption panel on one side only,since you say the problem is your hearing and not the room.Viscoustics makes panels that come with a stand,so you can easily move them around the room...kind of ugly,i know,but it MIGHT help,and if it does,you could fix a panel to the one wall.The only problem with this though...it might throw off the center imaging for everyone else with NORMAL hearing.Maybe a trip to the hearing doctor is your best bet;)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Maybe you could try some ear wax dissolver and see if that takes care of the issue. Might be the cheapest solution at $3-6 or whatever it costs.

27421 - 27440 of 47731 Posts