AVS Forum banner

27641 - 27660 of 47731 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I've had no issues with my (recently sold) Hsu sub. Whenever I used it for music it would sound extremely good, I use to use it with the Focus 160s regularly. Now with the 260s I never use it for music. I'm currently going to buy the Hsu 15" sub. My old VTF2 MK4 I sold to a friend and he has DM2/6s and we got the 2 dialed in and the combination sounds exquisite. Crossed over at 60hz you couldn't even tell the sub was there... And I was playing some deep bass tracks, the low end just was there without being noticeable. No issues with speed, control or pitch.

Same for my Hsu vtf3 mk3. Exceptional sub for music and movies at a great price.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Anyone here have Rythmiks in the mix? I'm considering an E15HP.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Source being an AvR to set xover?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've got an album for you Dyn fans to go find...this includes Otto J who can go play this on his super secret experimental Special40 speakers.

It never ceases to amaze me what a really good album can sound like here. (And conversely how bad they can sound too.)

The 2015 album is called The Generation of Lift by Conner Youngblood.

(It is available on TIDAL HIFI.)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I've got an album for you Dyn fans to go find...this includes Otto J who can go play this on his super secret experimental Special40 speakers.

It never ceases to amaze me what a really good album can sound like here. (And conversely how bad they can sound too.)

The 2015 album is called The Generation of Lift by Conner Youngblood.

(It is available on TIDAL HIFI.)

17 Minutes?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I listened and found some songs to be pleasant, and others were a bit, odd. Haha, but overall I enjoyed the album, thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Here is the VTF2 MK4s replacement. It is seriously a beast in terms of output and pressurizing the room. My wife could feel the bed shaking upstairs so something was done right LOL. However with music it's punchy and quick and very good.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
^

(Link is NSF!)

Reactions: callas01

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone here have Rythmiks in the mix? I'm considering an E15HP.
Perfect choice, I owned a E15HP, it is the best subwoofer under 2K. I replaced with a SVS13U(bad move) due to lack of space in my L shape crappy room :)

E15HP has the real analog amp 600W, no delays introduced by DSP as in SVS.

in a nutshell...SVS not even close to Rythmik.

Callas01 mentioned HSU, yes those are good subs... but boy Rythmik it's all different level of bass attributed to servo technology.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I got a bit frisky last night and turned up my volume knob until the clipping light barely flickered every now and then on my bryston integrated. I believe that is about 200wpc in 4 ohms. The SPL was high, but not pain full, Im thinking ~ 100 db peak at the listening position. I couldn't imagine wanting to listen much louder however. I was amazed where was no discernible harshness or compression at that SPL, I was listening to peter Gabriel's shaking the tree album

Anyways sorta gearing up for the bigger amp search nonetheless. Im not sure I need it. I am thinking Bryston 4b sst or an older mark levinston (332?). I am a used shopper mostly, and strongly prefer something not made in the far east. I probably wont spend more than 3k usd.

Any suggestions for fun?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I am a used shopper mostly, and strongly prefer something not made in the far east. I probably wont spend more than 3k usd.

Any suggestions for fun?
Most watt for the buck...used, and not class-D; yet...not a PA amp ;)

Belles
McCormack
C-J

·
Registered
647 Posts
Most watt for the buck...used, and not class-D; yet...not a PA amp ;)

Belles
McCormack
C-J

I had a McMormack DNA-1 from about 97-2005 which I ironically sold to downsize my system to contours, CD player, and integrated. Even more ironically, it was paired with a basic audio research LS that I wish I had back. I sold that stuff 10+ years ago and it seems to have actually appreciated a bit.

I really liked that amp and would happily buy a bigger version. They seem pretty pricey considering their vintage though.

I like the 10-20 year old amps because that is when I was most into audio and they are a bit nostalgic for me. I am a little apprehensive about crusty Caps however.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Crown 2502. You can't ask for more power than that! (Unless you bridge them and run in mono, yowza!)

Its funny you say that as I was looking at some of those on amazon yesterday. They are like 25c per watt. I am more or less in the all amps sound the same or very nearly the same, but I wonder about the PA stuff.

Class D and have a cooling fan I guess? It would be a fun experiment to get one to play with. Hell the one I saw on amazon was like 299$ for 500 wpc. I am a bit jaded by audio stuff I guess as I paid that much for a plastic cover for my Turntable.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
CD
Did you resolve your problem with the PMC driver?
Any feedback on the Auralic mini?I have read your posts on Audioshark about it...do you think it is a better option than just a mac-mini,if you don't need a dac?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Its funny you say that as I was looking at some of those on amazon yesterday. They are like 25c per watt. I am more or less in the all amps sound the same or very nearly the same, but I wonder about the PA stuff.

Class D and have a cooling fan I guess? It would be a fun experiment to get one to play with. Hell the one I saw on amazon was like 299$ for 500 wpc. I am a bit jaded by audio stuff I guess as I paid that much for a plastic cover for my Turntable.
I'm looking at the Rotel RB-1572, Emotiva's new Emersa 2-channel amp, a used Peachtree 220, stuff along those lines. Before I drop the dough, I think I might go to a guitar center or whatever's nearby to try one of these first. (Unless they're unbearably ugly in person, haha).

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
^^ Aschen, my "low-price"/big watt champions (and I've owned all of these personally...except the 250 and 500, which in the 250s case; is just the 225s successor...and the 500s case, a more-powerful version of the same)

Mickie-C DNA-225, 250, 500
C-J MF-2500A
Belles Ref 350A v2

Yes, Emotiva is a big watt/buck option too; if you really think, all amps sound the same.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
CD
Did you resolve your problem with the PMC driver?
Any feedback on the Auralic mini?I have read your posts on Audioshark about it...do you think it is a better option than just a mac-mini,if you don't need a dac?
On its way, to being resolved...yes :D

I'll share more about the AAM this evening, and post at all 3 places (here, AS, and ESAC).

27641 - 27660 of 47731 Posts