AVS Forum banner

27961 - 27980 of 47720 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I sit about 3 meters from sound source. So I think that 3.4 le will be perfect and more suit my room. Or c2 will be fine too?
Honestly if you like a taller sound stage the 3.4 - 5.4 and C2's will be very close to each other. That's my only complaint with any larger speaker. When you heard the 3.4LE and 5.4 were they a side by side comparison? If so which did you prefer and why? I'm very biased with Confidence and Evidence being (in my opinion) that they are the most balanced and natural sounding from top to bottom.

Is there any way you can demo C2's? If not maybe compare a C1 to a 1.4. That way you would bet a better idea on the differences between Contour and Confidence sound quality.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Well that may be due to the new crossover. For those who think that Contour sound is laid back then brighter high is an improvement. For me I think a pair of speakers that sound bright is often difficult to match to other equipments.
Frankly in all the years of owning Dynaudio and selling them, I never heard them describe ever as bright, with a few exceptions on here... Bright usually too me is a speaker that uses metal in their tweeter or has their tweeters tipped way up and that sounds harsh to me... Never liked Monitor Audio etc.. Now with that being said, the metal tweeters have gotten better over the years... I have always liked a good soft domed tweeter and decent Magniplanar but that is my ears. Boston Acoustics and some other brands that tip their highs way up just sound unlistenable too me.. I agree with your assessments, it could be a new crossover.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Frankly in all the years of owning Dynaudio and selling them, I never heard them describe ever as bright, with a few exceptions on here... Bright usually too me is a speaker that uses metal in their tweeter or has their tweeters tipped way up and that sounds harsh to me... Never liked Monitor Audio etc.. Now with that being said, the metal tweeters have gotten better over the years... I have always liked a good soft domed tweeter and decent Magniplanar but that is my ears. Boston Acoustics and some other brands that tip their highs way up just sound unlistenable too me.. I agree with your assessments, it could be a new crossover.
Dyn has always seemed to be smooth and well balanced without being veiled to me. They also impress me how the sound is so refined. You would suspect a 24db crossover but they somehow do it with a shallow slope. Amazing speakers.

Dont count out Monitor. I also felt that they were overly bright and lean. I did not like them at all. The new stuff seems to a great deal better. I heard several models at Axpona and RMAF driven by Cyrus. The result was very good. Not bright. Not dull or lean. They possessed Strong bass too. It was either the electronics or an improvement of character. Whatever it was, the result was good!

Reactions: ambesolman

·
Registered
647 Posts
You could buy an aftermarket plate amp that uses Hypex or Icepower and includes DSP crossover functionality and re-implement the original in software.
I would try to do something similar to what you describe as would I suspect a lot of technical types. It would be some work to re-engineer the filter specs and coefficients

a slightly off topic thing I wonder about active speakers: in general do they require some sort of passive element in line for the tweeter for protection? I could imagine a little turn on "thud" or odd noise from interference or power going out or something could kill the fine tweeter voice coil pretty easily.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I always thought it would be interesting to see active systems (which I am totally in favor of) with a traditional external box, containing all the dsp, amplifiers and such. Of course, an elegant system for connecting it to multi-way speakers would be needed. (Otherwise a lot of speaker wires will result...) This will add considerable cost to the system, but it would address many concerns regarding obsolescence and repairability. Anyway, just a thought.

Also, does anyone know how to bookmark the LAST page of this forum? Is that possible?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Folks, has anyone tried the Xeo 2 yet? How would you describe them? I've auditioned a few other brands, but they were (incl. B&W A7) either thin or thick/muffled sounding. I am considering buying (same with Linn's Kiko system) them, but there's no opportunity to audition them.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Folks, has anyone tried the Xeo 2 yet? How would you describe them? I've auditioned a few other brands, but they were (incl. B&W A7) either thin or thick/muffled sounding. I am considering buying (same with Linn's Kiko system) them, but there's no opportunity to audition them.
search back a few pages for MR INTEGRATION...he has a pair,and briefly summurized their sound

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Dyn has always seemed to be smooth and well balanced without being veiled to me. They also impress me how the sound is so refined. You would suspect a 24db crossover but they somehow do it with a shallow slope. Amazing speakers.

Dont count out Monitor. I also felt that they were overly bright and lean. I did not like them at all. The new stuff seems to a great deal better. I heard several models at Axpona and RMAF driven by Cyrus. The result was very good. Not bright. Not dull or lean. They possessed Strong bass too. It was either the electronics or an improvement of character. Whatever it was, the result was good!
Well, don't forget some people have different interpretation of what bright or lean means.... Older Dynaudio speakers where never talked about being lean or bright using a pretty neutral soft dome tweeter, funny thing is I didn't start hearing the words bright or lean being used till the last couple of years with this brand. Compared to what else is out their, they are pretty well balanced and neutral sounding speakers. Now proper equipment can help, as they tend to like good clean power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
search back a few pages for MR INTEGRATION...he has a pair,and briefly summurized their sound
Thanks, no quarter.

Otto J, I was considering XD 200 at first, but I am afraid they'll be a bit too much for my narrow living room which is 5.62 (L) x 3.11 (W). Now I am stuck between Kiko and Xeo 2. Do you think XD 200 wouldn't be a problem, given I won't be playing them too loud or should I go for Xeo 2 instead? Decisions. Decisions. Sigh.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would try to do something similar to what you describe as would I suspect a lot of technical types. It would be some work to re-engineer the filter specs and coefficients

a slightly off topic thing I wonder about active speakers: in general do they require some sort of passive element in line for the tweeter for protection? I could imagine a little turn on "thud" or odd noise from interference or power going out or something could kill the fine tweeter voice coil pretty easily.
The newer active speakers I have that use class D / PWM amps don't seem to have the "thunk" at all.

I wouldn't buy a new active speaker these days that uses old school A/B amps for many reasons, including environmental / energy wastage and size.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Thanks, no quarter.

Otto J, I was considering XD 200 at first, but I am afraid they'll be a bit too much for my narrow living room which is 5.62 (L) x 3.11 (W). Now I am stuck between Kiko and Xeo 2. Do you think XD 200 wouldn't be a problem, given I won't be playing them too loud or should I go for Xeo 2 instead? Decisions. Decisions. Sigh.
I had the xd 200 for a 2week home trial,and my room is not much different from your sizes...sounded fabulous to me,I would say,try and get a home demo of the xd 200 before you write them off,if I had tried these before I bought all my Naim gear,I think I would be perfectly happy with just the xd 200's and a good streamer

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the xd 200 for a 2week home trial,and my room is not much different from your sizes...sounded fabulous to me,I would say,try and get a home demo of the xd 200 before you write them off,if I had tried these before I bought all my Naim gear,I think I would be perfectly happy with just the xd 200's and a good streamer
Interesting. I definitely will give them a try. Would you sauy Connect is a good streamer or would you recommend getting something else?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Interesting. I definitely will give them a try. Would you sauy Connect is a good streamer or would you recommend getting something else?
I don't have the connect,I used the unitiqute 2...I would try the auralic mini,the connect is for wireless and I hard wired mine:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does SQ suffer when in wireless mode, and if so, how bad is it? Re Auralic. I've heard of Aries, but I still don't get what it's supposed to do. I've read the description, but it still kinda confusing. Care to elaborate what's the difference between Arien and Aries mini? :)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Does SQ suffer when in wireless mode, and if so, how bad is it? Re Auralic. I've heard of Aries, but I still don't get what it's supposed to do. I've read the description, but it still kinda confusing. Care to elaborate? :)
In wireless mode,you are limited to 24/96 but hardwired does 24/192.As far as a streamer goes...it gives you a way to send all your stored music,either from a NAS or computer,attached hard drive to your speakers or preamp/reciever,I have not tried the Aries mini,it just came out and is fairly cheap...check out their web site

27961 - 27980 of 47720 Posts