AVS Forum banner

27981 - 28000 of 47720 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the xd 200 for a 2week home trial,and my room is not much different from your sizes...sounded fabulous to me,I would say,try and get a home demo of the xd 200 before you write them off,if I had tried these before I bought all my Naim gear,I think I would be perfectly happy with just the xd 200's and a good streamer
Would you say that XD 200 is bright sounding? One review mentioned this.... Just curious

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Would you say that XD 200 is bright sounding? One review mentioned this.... Just curious
The 200's did not sound bright to my 50 year old ears...maybe to younger people:pAt the time I still had my focus 160's,so I did a direct comparison between the xd 200's running a hard wire from my unitiqute 2...to the focus 160 running from the same unitiqute 2 into my chord Hugo into my supernait 2.The sound between the 2 was very similar...with the slight edge going to the Naim-Hugo-160 combo,but that may of come down to the chord Dac verses the Dac in the 160's.The Naim-160 combo is considerably more money too and I could get the 160's to pop if I cranked it too loud...never had the xd's pop.It is nice to have something to tinker with by changing dac's,cables,streamer etc. But the xd 200's give you a lot of what a full system does,only cheaper and simpler...then again,as it has been discussed here lately,you are stuck with what you get with xd's,not a bad place to be stuck if you ask me.;)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks, no quarter.

Otto J, I was considering XD 200 at first, but I am afraid they'll be a bit too much for my narrow living room which is 5.62 (L) x 3.11 (W). Now I am stuck between Kiko and Xeo 2. Do you think XD 200 wouldn't be a problem, given I won't be playing them too loud or should I go for Xeo 2 instead? Decisions. Decisions. Sigh.
Using the Speaker Position adjustment on the back to dial back the bass, I can't imagine a scenario where you would consider the room too small for the 200 XD.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
XD only or XEO 3 too?:D
The app is Connect only, and as such can't be used with a Xeo 3 or 5. It does not directly control the speaker, it controls the Connect, and any speakers that the Connect is playing to. These can be Focus XD, or Xeo 2/4/6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks guys. I've decided to order them both and compare them directly side by side, since there are no dealers in the country where I am at. Any online retailers who carry these models? I remember some Danish or was it Swedish, online store that had them in stock. Can't remember the name atm.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Thanks guys. I've decided to order them both and compare them directly side by side, since there are no dealers in the country where I am at. Any online retailers who carry these models? I remember some Danish or was it Swedish, online store that had them in stock. Can't remember the name atm.
Do you mean the Xeo 2 and the xd 200...or that OTHER brand?

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Never heard a good soft dome tweeter ever sounding bright... Anytime I have it is usually some not very good electronics mated with the speaker and occasionally some good equipment that just doesn't mate well with that specific speaker. I have heard a lot of the newer all in one speakers that have built in Amps called bright, but the XD series wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do I need to switch off Naim & Marantz daily or occasionally? Will keeping them switched on for long time overheat them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
@Topk, Thanks buddy.
@no quarter, Yes, including the Linn speakers. The problem is Import duty tax. I'm currently working overseas and the import duty tax here is insane. I am trying to figure out how to get the speakers and pay minimum tax or just avoid paying it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
@Topk, Thanks buddy.
@no quarter, Yes, including the Linn speakers. The problem is Import duty tax. I'm currently working overseas and the import duty tax here is insane. I am trying to figure out how to get the speakers and pay minimum tax or just avoid paying it. Any suggestions?
I have no idea how to avoid import duty taxes,but your situation working overseas gives me another in the PLUS column for reasons to buy the xeo's or xd's...you could easily box up a pair when travelling around the world,and have a killer system...on the road:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well that may be due to the new crossover. For those who think that Contour sound is laid back then brighter high is an improvement. For me I think a pair of speakers that sound bright is often difficult to match to other equipments.
I agree, certainly I wouldn't call the current Contour "bright". I own a pair of 3.4 LE and have had direct comparison with a pair of Focus 380 in very same room (my very own) with same electronics. The Focus has more emphasis on the higher frequency and the sound stage comes forward a bit more. While the Contour is wider, much wider. The Contour is more balanced out of the two series. The Focus owner commented he likes the vocals on mine over his Focus. But I do think the Focus has more get up and go, that I think is partly due to electronics I had paired with the Dyns and the Focus is more sensitive. 88 vs 85.5 (from Hi Fi news).

I recently updated my power amp - Sanders Magtech which can dish out 900w/c into 4 ohm (both channel driven). It has change the characteristics of my 3.4 LE, slightly deeper, more taut lower ends. Opened up mid and highs. Is more rhythmical, not longer what you would call laid back. :grin: That's with my lowly Emo XSP-1 pre. I had it connected to a Sanders pre - all I can say wow! Someone (it was a panel of us) commented, with the Sanders pre "the veil has lifted". The soundstage is wide and deep, little nuances I can pick up is just wonderful.

So now I am looking for a new pre. Any suggestions are welcome, must have features - XLR/HT bypass (the Sanders pre unfortunately don't have HT bypass).

·
Registered
372 Posts
So now I am looking for a new pre. Any suggestions are welcome, must have features - XLR/HT bypass (the Sanders pre unfortunately don't have HT bypass).[/QUOTE]

Hi,

With 1.4LE i use a moon 350p. xlr, dac an phono options, and ht bypass.

Reactions: Sirmorebeer

·
Registered
110 Posts
Still not have a chance to listen to LE models of Contour lines, but I really like the old Contour sound. It gives the impression of laid-back (a bit) due to the strong bass & mid-bass presentation, which results in a wide & deep soundstage and makes things taller/bigger (one dealer once told me that Dyn speakers seem to make things sound "smaller" than other brands. Well, I partly got what he was talking about).

Although the Focus sound is really good and more exciting, the Contour sound is more immersive to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question about the dynaudio xeo 4 and 6. I was thinking about buying the xeo 4 for my living room, but I'm afraid that my living room is maybe too big for the xeo 4 and that it would be better too buy the xeo 6. The surface is more or less 30m2 and the height is 2m42. I have a little kitchen as a side-room without doors next to the living room. Another option is too buy a subwoofer with the xeo 4....

What do you think?

thanks
Jochen

·
Registered
2 Posts
dynaudio xeo 4-6

I have a question about the dynaudio xeo 4 and 6. I was thinking about buying the xeo 4 for my living room, but I'm afraid that my living room is maybe too big for the xeo 4 and that it would be better too buy the xeo 6. The surface is more or less 30m2 and the height is 2m42. I have a little kitchen as a side-room without doors next to the living room. Another option is too buy a subwoofer with the xeo 4....

What do you think?

thanks
Jochen

27981 - 28000 of 47720 Posts