AVS Forum banner

28041 - 28060 of 47731 Posts

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
samsung84: Well if it's your Amp you might want to contact Sim and hopefully you have a Warr. with that unit... I had a used Amp I bought from a local store they gave me 30 day warr. with it I always have a inexpensive (Cheap) pair of speakers around for testing, sure enough after about 3 hours of use the unit popped and smoked and blew out my tweeter on my Paradigm Mini Speakers. But the "A" holes at the store said they would not warr, the unit nor the speaker, lucky for me my other dealer got it repaired at no cost, I have never stepped foot back in the other store as their customer service blows! They gave me a $100 credit for a unit I paid $400 for.... Hence, anything I buy used, I use for about a month with the inexpensive speakers (Pioneers speakers) now then I hook them up too the big boys (C2's).. I highly recommended this when buying any Int. Amp or Amp used......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey guys. If I use the tidal app and stream with Bluetooth will it still be lossless? Most places online they write Bluetooth compresses the audio but a few places they mention tidal uses aptx and that is still lossless even with Bluetooth. (Here lossless is 16/44).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
AptX is not lossless, but the bitrate is fairly high. Whether AptX is used or not, is not up to Tidal but to the device, encoding to AptX is done on the device. Tidal supports AAC, which is also supported by Bluetooth. Which is used is basically up to the device. Apple products for instance use AAC, not AptX.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Otto, how does Dynaudio handle acoustic lobing with regards to their center channels?

Reactions: mikapen

·
Registered
155 Posts
AptX is not lossless, but the bitrate is fairly high. Whether AptX is used or not, is not up to Tidal but to the device, encoding to AptX is done on the device. Tidal supports AAC, which is also supported by Bluetooth. Which is used is basically up to the device. Apple products for instance use AAC, not AptX.
So. AAC is lossless? Or is it not possible with any device to use Bluetooth for lossless streaming?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
AAC is not lossless. With current Bluetooth standards, Bluetooth is never lossless. A new standard was introduced at CES, that allows lossless over Bluetooth. When and at what costs is not something I am going to speculate about.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto, how does Dynaudio handle acoustic lobing with regards to their center channels?
I will have to ask the engineers before I can give you a satisfactory answer. Due to holidays for many employees this week (yes, in Denmark too :) ) I may have to wait until next week to give you an answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Contour S discontuned!

Hey Everyone,
Just noticed that the Contour S has been discontinued. We are looking to upgrade our home theater and the Contours were high on my list. Still early in the looking phase, but the 3.4 LE looks to be about perfect (still have to audition the rascals), but what to use for the center and surrounds? Does anybody know if the Contour LE line will expand to fill the void left by the Contour S? Any rumors? Thanks.

David.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hey Everyone,
Just noticed that the Contour S has been discontinued. We are looking to upgrade our home theater and the Contours were high on my list. Still early in the looking phase, but the 3.4 LE looks to be about perfect (still have to audition the rascals), but what to use for the center and surrounds? Does anybody know if the Contour LE line will expand to fill the void left by the Contour S? Any rumors? Thanks.

David.
We'll all know more in May during Munich High End.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Hey Everyone,

David.
It would be interesting to see what they will be coming out with, because they are missing center channels and rear speakers for the current Contour line and Confidence line... I was going to pick up a pair of SR for back rears, maybe I have some negotiation leverage now... :D Or I just use my Contour 1.3MKII for rears... You should be able to get a good deal now if some dealer has them..

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
At 5K a pop they better be good..... The market is slowly getting filled with good stuff finally, at a huge reduced cost.... Now if these are made strictly in the USA, they might be worth the 5K they are asking. They sure do look great!
Garman
He told me that he heard one playing Dsd 256 from a thumb drive and it FLOORED him...but he is the salesman;),I like the fact that it plays pretty much everything and you don't have to have it hooked to a network if you don't want to,but still,what about this new MQA format that is supposed to be the next big thing...although I never asked about that.I will take one home to demo,if my dealer gets one in.
I believe they are still making the confidence centre platinum,according to their website

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Wow that could be awesome news on the Confidence center- I indeed looked and it's not there.

Something new and wicked this way comes? :) I would be thrilled to see a new line coming..

And um that Cary looks awesome..

Rick

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Wow that could be awesome news on the Confidence center- I indeed looked and it's not there.

Something new and wicked this way comes? :) I would be thrilled to see a new line coming..

And um that Cary looks awesome..

Rick
I'm pretty sure it's there Rick...under home audio/confidence/there is c4,c2c1,and center platinum...on the official Dyn website.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys! Need your help in choosing an amp! One of the capacitors of my NAD c372 suddenly blew up. I could get these for approximately the same price:

Hegel H100 (Demo unit less than 300 hours) $1500
Hegel H80 $1600
Naim Nait 5si $1600 (is the XS2 worth the upgrade?)
NAD c375bee $1250
Wyred4sound mINT $1500
Wyred4sound ST-500 $1500 (do I need a pre for this?)
Musical Fidelity M3si

My system is an Nvidia Shield Android TV connected to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC (Is my setup ok?). I have both KEF LS50 and Excite X16.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hegel stuff is solid. While I like NAD amps, if I had a choice and it came with full manufacturer warranty...H100.

Plenty of power should you need it, and with many Dynaudio being 4ohm it's the way to go. I know the LS50 thrive on power too.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Many here use Naim, including myself. Pairs very well with both brands you have. I had the 5i and the XS, I also owned X16s at one point with the 5i, loved that combo. I later switched to the Focus 160/XS and another solid combo, however I switched the 160s for 260s 1-1/2 yrs ago then the XS for the Uniti2 8-9 months ago. My current system will be with me for quite some time. However I've said this before I'm always thinking of doing a second system with a set of X16s and a 5i again. Probably get an Auralic Aries Mini and a marantz 1604.... Be perfect in the Den.

I heard the MF M3i and Naim Nait 5i with 160s and preferred the Naim. Yes the XS is worth the upgrade. IMO

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
While the H80 is supposed to be the replacement for the H70, I've read in reviews that it competes well with the H100. I would suggest the newer model, but you're getting the nicer remote with the H100 if that's a big deal to you.

The replacement remotes are somewhere along the lines of $10 and $125 for the credit-card style and machined-aluminum one respectively.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
While the H80 is supposed to be the replacement for the H70, I've read in reviews that it competes well with the H100. I would suggest the newer model, but you're getting the nicer remote with the H100 if that's a big deal to you.

The replacement remotes are somewhere along the lines of $10 and $125 for the credit-card style and machined-aluminum one respectively.
Who would consider the 75w/ch Hegel H80 to be competitive with the 120w/ch H100? Perhaps a reviewer was just suggesting similar sound quality output.

The difference in average SPL generated by either against the other wouldn't be big, but dynamic headroom limits could be the deciding factor.

28041 - 28060 of 47731 Posts