AVS Forum banner

28421 - 28440 of 47731 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought the Contour S1.4 and have been listening for some hours. Well I must say the 1.4s are quite different from other Dyn bookshelf speakers, in that they don't easily dissappear (sonically) in a small room, and require really good amplification. I think this stems from the robust bass & mid-bass output. So now I'm still messing around with speaker placement and still getting mixed results (4ft. from the front wall now).

Apart from that the rest of the FR is very satisfying. Mid is quite warm and full, expressive, treble is so smooth and silky that I can even just toe-in these speakers right towards listening position without getting too many "glares" (but I won't toe-in that much to preserve a bigger soundstage).

Will continue to update to you... :)
The last time I played with the S1.4 at my local dealer I ended up ~2 ft off the wall about 7 ft apart and sat 8 ft back, no toe in, everything seemed in line and the blend of tweeter/woofer was spot on. Now as many of us have stated the sound is a little dark due to the extra emphasis on the mid-bass. I'm not sure if I remember this right but you have a 15 watt tube amp? Idk, but IMO that's not quite enough power for those speakers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Otto,

great with the update. It is really cool Dynaudio continue doing work on the software part of the speaker, to make it even better.

Now this update and previous updates have mainly been on interphase, features and stability.
Do you know if any updates are worked on sound wise or was this just spot on from launch? ;)
I am still amazed by the sound and detail of these speakers but am just curious if we can expect anything in this regard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto,

great with the update. It is really cool Dynaudio continue doing work on the software part of the speaker, to make it even better.

Now this update and previous updates have mainly been on interphase, features and stability.
Do you know if any updates are worked on sound wise or was this just spot on from launch? ;)
I am still amazed by the sound and detail of these speakers but am just curious if we can expect anything in this regard.

Thanks!

I am not the one to say that nothing can be improved on, but so far we have not felt the need to work on the sound tuning. Our focus have, as you sum up, been on features and stability. We receive very little negative feedback on the sound. Based on customer feedback (and sales as well), the sound of Focus XD has probably been our most succesful series. If anything is holding back sales of Focus XD, I don't believe it is the sound.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sooo... Regarding that product announcement... Well, this is the reason why we have a policy not to comment on future product announcements: The product has been delayed, and I can't tell you when to expect it (just as I never should have given you this expectation!) Just to make myself feel better, it wasn't my call alone to allow the teaser to be made, but in hindsight it was a mistake. I know some of you will feel "cheated" by me for teasing and not delivering, but this is what it is, and giving you more information now would only repeat the same error. SORRY!! Shoot me now.

Anyway, that should not hold me back from giving you the promised answer regarding our view on center speakers and lobing. However, it is not a simple one.

First off, I would like to say that there is no way to "handle" lobing in a horizontal center speaker without causing drawbacks. If there were, we would not be discussing it.

Any speaker with a horizontal driver alignment will have some degree of lobing. This is a physical fact, and while different alignments will cause different degrees of lobing, they can't be completely avoided. This means that if you want to completely eliminate it, you need to change the alignment. As mentioned, there will be drawbacks to any of the available choices, either sound quality wise, economically, or practically.

You can arrange the drivers vertically. If space allows, this can be a very good choice, but most people need (or want) a relatively low profile speaker to place below or above a flatscreen tv. For a no-compromise solution however, this is probably the best choice. It also allows for three identical front speakers. Note: Three physically identical speakers do not sound identical if one is closer to the floor, or mounted horizontally etc. So the goal of three completely identical speakers in the front can only really be realized by using an acoustically transparent projection screen. Please notice that we DO offer a solution for this purpose: Any speaker in our passive home audio lineup, from Emit to Evidence, can be bought as singles at a 10% surcharge. If you always dreamt about using a Consequence as a center channel speaker, we're not the ones holding you back. There is no acoustical arguments to not using any speaker that you find usable as left and right speakers, as a center channel. Practically though, for many this will not be an option.

You can use a fullrange or coaxial driver. Whichever variant, this causes limitations and/or acoustical artifacts that are in our view much more severe than lobing, and not compatible with the performance we want to present to our customers.

You can use a single midrange, still in a horizontal alignment, either as a 2-way with one mid/bass, a 2.5-way, threeway or similar. This is actually not a bad choice, however, you don't eliminate lobing - you change it to something that may or may not be more acceptable.

You can use a three-way with a small midrange below the tweeter, and bass drivers . Aligned properly, this can minimize lobing (depending on the crossover to the bass drivers). However, it is not without cost: You have to use a small midrange, that might not have the performance of a larger one. You have an extra crossover frequency and a more advanced crossover, which isn't always a good thing if you are cost-constrained (which you basically always are!)

There are also possibilities within the "normal" horizontal 2-way alignment, that will minimize (but not eliminate) the issue without necessarily causing these drawbacks: Using a relatively low crossover point to the tweeter - which is done in most Dynaudio speakers anyway. Also, placing the mid/bass drivers as close together as possible decreases the amount of lobing.

To conclude, to answer how we handle lobing, there are two overall answers: First, We do not design a center speaker with the specific purpose to eliminate lobing. We design it to deliver the best overall performance. This is a balance between a lot of different factors, and so far we believe that the amount of lobing left in our center speakers is negligible, compared to the sacrifices that would have to be made to completely eliminate it. This balance is sometimes bent in different ways depending on the needs, and I am not saying that the solutions we have now will be used in any Dynaudio speaker ever. It's just to say that the overall performance is our goal, not the individual benchmarks. In our judgement, there are other, more pressing concerns that might not be as easy to visualize, but has at least as much impact on the performance.

Second, if you really want a no compromise setup, the best center speaker is a third speaker identical to your left and right speaker.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
@Otto
So you mentioned earlier that the next designs for the centre speaker have no lobing issues, how about the current generation?
I have in no way said or implied that (at least not meant to). I said that I wanted to wait for the announcement before I gave my answer. The reason for that is really boring. But no, we have not magically solved lobing.

Eg the Confidence Centre?
See above.

Will there be next surround and centre speakers to accompany the LE Contours?
No comment :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with the praise for Otto here. This is viral marketing done right. No BS, no sales spin, just solid honest feedback. Well done.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Otto,regarding the latest update to the xd's...do i have to do the first update that was available for them,before i do this one,or will this one take care of everything?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto,regarding the latest update to the xd's...do i have to do the first update that was available for them,before i do this one,or will this one take care of everything?
There is no need to do any earlier updates. This one updates to the latest version, regardless of which old version is installed.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I forgive you Otto. Better to announce a new product onslaught in Munich anyway ;)

How are those prototype Special40 speakers sounding with those new hybrid Dynaudio EsoRibbon tweeters? ;)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think I am nearly convince to pull the trigger on a pair of 1.4 LEs, I will do it in next month or so :)

I am looking forward to break them in, I love breaking in new speaker, it's a fun process cause usually oob they sound like crap and then you hear them gradually get more cohesive and opening up.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I think I am nearly convince to pull the trigger on a pair of 1.4 LEs, I will do it in next month or so :)

I am looking forward to break them in, I love breaking in new speaker, it's a fun process cause usually oob they sound like crap and then you hear them gradually get more cohesive and opening up.
Speaker whore.:p

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

Nice can't wait to see some pictures!!

New products are always fun to play with!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Speaker whore.:p
Look who's talking here, when are you taking the big jump to the Big brother of the Scan Sonics to the Raidhos?

Those were just about the most affordable line back 3 years ago the S2.0 at 13k, they were cheaper than the C1.1 at 17k you see behind, I am sure you may be able to find a pair that fits your budget ;)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nice can't wait to see some pictures!!

New products are always fun to play with!
Yeah it's fun to experience but I got rid of the X-12 and got myslef some Mite-T for the Office setup as i madly wanted to have black. Sold my 20 year old Bryston on which warranty had just expired 2 months ago but was from the consignment I had with my dealer so I got what I was looking for and also Bryston did not complain when the customer asked if could send it in for a lst checkup and cleanup, these guys do have the best ever service I have ever seen.

The amp was working flawlessly even after 20 years which is very impressive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The last time I played with the S1.4 at my local dealer I ended up ~2 ft off the wall about 7 ft apart and sat 8 ft back, no toe in, everything seemed in line and the blend of tweeter/woofer was spot on. Now as many of us have stated the sound is a little dark due to the extra emphasis on the mid-bass. I'm not sure if I remember this right but you have a 15 watt tube amp? Idk, but IMO that's not quite enough power for those speakers.
Could you remember what amp was driving the 1.4 at your local dealer? In the future I may need some 30-40 wpc tube amp; the 15 wpc one is really struggling to control the bass lol. Bass is a bit boomy and too powerful. I resorted to the foam plugs, however I'd rather try something else with my room and my system than the plugs because they just kill the bass (especially for rock & EDM music). For the placement, it is nearly identical to what you described earlier: speakers are 7 ft apart, 8 ft from listening position, and 3 ft from the front wall. Also no toe-in because after hours being played the tweeters seem to have "awaken" and treble is much stronger now.

Apart from the bass story, the good thing is I can now hear many, MANY details that I have never heard before in the same recordings, mostly details of ambience/venue (reverbs, echo...) and some faint sounds of background instruments. The details are presented in a subtle way, not "shouty" or "into your face". Such a special experience :)

·
Registered
110 Posts

So you have the speakers in home now for trial? I'm curious: which wood finishing will you choose?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Look who's talking here, when are you taking the big jump to the Big brother of the Scan Sonics to the Raidhos?

Those were just about the most affordable line back 3 years ago the S2.0 at 13k, they were cheaper than the C1.1 at 17k you see behind, I am sure you may be able to find a pair that fits your budget ;)

I'm just messing with you. I'm hoping to add a pair of Focal to my collection at some point.

I'm eyeing XT-2 but that may be 2-3 years off before its reality and who knows what happens in that time.

Reactions: OctaDyn_Dude
28421 - 28440 of 47731 Posts