AVS Forum banner

29901 - 29920 of 47731 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
No no, get the Contour 30s or perhaps the 60s or go strait for Raidho XT-3

You know I'd love to have that exact same combo NAP 200 or perhaps the 250 with NAC n-272
250 would be great but it cost more $. Maybe a trade up after the 200 later on.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I would just wait and go strait for 250 way cheaper like that.
That's if I ever do it. I like to try gear and upgrade so it would be ok to pay a little more to go that route for me. If I had a dealer close enough to annoy the hell out of with frequent demos then I would have a better idea before purchasibg things. I've thought about replacing the SS with Dyns but honestly I like the SS sound. I just need a little more low end and I think the 3.5 will provide that for not a whole lot more cash and I can use the Uniti 2 with them. I may and may not need to upgrade that but I'm sure I'll convince myself it's needed at sone point. I've been happy with the system as of late. Been listening to lots of music lately and even finding my way to some jazz.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That's if I ever do it. I like to try gear and upgrade so it would be ok to pay a little more to go that route for me. If I had a dealer close enough to annoy the hell out of with frequent demos then I would have a better idea before purchasibg things. I've thought about replacing the SS with Dyns but honestly I like the SS sound. I just need a little more low end and I think the 3.5 will provide that for not a whole lot more cash and I can use the Uniti 2 with them. I may and may not need to upgrade that but I'm sure I'll convince myself it's needed at sone point. I've been happy with the system as of late. Been listening to lots of music lately and even finding my way to some jazz.
Hehe you got to move either to Montreal or Southern California :p.

·
Registered
549 Posts
On another note has anyone tried Creek gear and Dynaudio? I recently heard a Destiny Amp by them that was pretty darn good, it was small but put out 250wpc into 4ohms and sounded equally as good as some much larger massive Amps.
I have a Creek 5350SE that I purchased online back in 2002 or 2003 at the peak of its hype following a Stereophile Class A rating. I used it to drive a pair of Focus Audio 688s for about 6 months to a year before switching to a Simaudio i-5 LE. The Simaudio was more dynamic, had punchier bass, more organic sounding, richer tone, faster, more open, better soundstage. The Creek was a little more relaxed sounding and went deeper in the bass, but otherwise the i-5 LE was a lot better. Since then, the Creek mostly sat in its box, but recently I've used it to power some old inexpensive Aperion Audio speakers in my garage. I did hook it up to my Dynaudio C2s at one point, temporarily when I was between amps, and it wasn't terribly impressive. The treble was sweet and the bass had decent weight and it was pretty transparent for the price. But it was a little too smooth, a bit flat dynamically, slow, and the midrange was dry. Better used with a more colorful, exciting speaker. I also have a Parasound A23 kicking around which can drive either of my Dynaudios better. So if you're looking for something that can drive Dynaudios on the cheap, I think that would be a better choice.

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Red MC: Right now I have a rebuilt Chiro Amp as my back up that I use from time to time and it does well with the Rogue Metis Tube Pre/Amp, just looking for some thing a tad more dynamic but my main unit is a MF KW-500 that puts out between 700-1000wpc of clean power to the C2, best match up for my ears to date! This is the one I am thinking of getting as it has gotten great reviews and doesn't take up huge amounts of rack space! ;)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/creek_destiny_e.html

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Hi,

First post on the forums here. I’m just starting to get into HiFi audio and speakers at the moment and am considering Dynaudio speakers for my next upgrade. I have Klipsch Icon speakers at the moment and am finding them tiring to listen to these days, a little too much of a hard edge to their sound. I have them powered with a NAD T758 receiver. I want something that is still detailed and engaging to listen to but without a fatiguing sound to them.

I use my setup for 70% HT and 30% two channel music. I’m considering the Dynaudio Excite X12/X14 or the DM 2/6 for my front and surround speakers and the matching center channels for each. My only concern is that I have been reading a number of comments in some forums that while the Dynaudio’s are very easy to listen to, they can be a little reticent and not as involving as other speakers. I’m looking for a little bit of an engaging and more forward sound presentation because I like it that way with movies and music also.

If anyone has experience with the DM vs. the Excite ranges, would you say one is more forward/engaging/lively than the other? Thanks for any opinions;)
My opinion is try to find a pair of Focus 160s. A little more expensive but I know a guy who has Klipsch RF7s and a pair of 160s and he absolutely loves the 160s.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Hi,

First post on the forums here. I’m just starting to get into HiFi audio and speakers at the moment and am considering Dynaudio speakers for my next upgrade. I have Klipsch Icon speakers at the moment and am finding them tiring to listen to these days, a little too much of a hard edge to their sound. I have them powered with a NAD T758 receiver. I want something that is still detailed and engaging to listen to but without a fatiguing sound to them.

I use my setup for 70% HT and 30% two channel music. I’m considering the Dynaudio Excite X12/X14 or the DM 2/6 for my front and surround speakers and the matching center channels for each. My only concern is that I have been reading a number of comments in some forums that while the Dynaudio’s are very easy to listen to, they can be a little reticent and not as involving as other speakers. I’m looking for a little bit of an engaging and more forward sound presentation because I like it that way with movies and music also.

If anyone has experience with the DM vs. the Excite ranges, would you say one is more forward/engaging/lively than the other? Thanks for any opinions;)
Welcome to AVS :)
Given your predilection for HT, the Excite series is well, exciting.. but I agree that if you can stretch to the Focus 160 and find a matching centre, it will reward you with a solid sound. And the DM 2/6 or the newer Emit series can be sufficient for rears. In fact you can use other brands to save. Maybe a MA Bronze Dipole to spread the sound even.

It will easier to find the matching centre for the Excite, so if that's all you can go to, it will be a nice setup, but wait for the new bigger Excite Centre and check it out...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My opinion is try to find a pair of Focus 160s. A little more expensive but I know a guy who has Klipsch RF7s and a pair of 160s and he absolutely loves the 160s.
I would add that the Focus is definitely more lively than the Excites and DM, at least more open and not as laid back as the Excites. Certainly more in line with what Max is looking for.

Reactions: Garman

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Well I heard a Bryston for the first time since I owned the 4B, the model number was 3B3, 200wpc playing on a pair of Magnepans 1.7s at a Dealer today, breath taking is the words to describe it!

Reactions: BigAl87

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the input on DM vs. Excites!

I am going to scratch the DM’s and the Excite X12’s off my list after hearing your opinions, and instead look at the X14’s. The next speakers I buy will be with me for a long time so I want to invest wisely.

As for the Focus series, I was almost contemplating them, but they seem to be very difficult to find, especially the Focus center channel. Plus they would be pushing me into uncomfortable price range and I would have to keep my Klipsch rears for sure. With the Excites I should be able to get myself into all 5 speakers, or as you’ve mentioned go with the lower models for surround duty.

I had heard the Focus series may be the most lively range, but that the new Excite models come a bit closer to their performance. I also saw a comment from a few different people in my long research period on many forums who heard some Totem Dreamcatchers and found them to be much more engaging than either the Excites of Focus ranges. I wonder if the Excites would be enough of an engaging listen over my Klipsch’s? Have any of you had any experience with Totem Acoustics? The Dreamcatchers are quite a bit cheaper than the Excites so I’m a little cautious of how good they really sound. I really don’t know much about Totem speakers but if they’re really as engaging as I’ve heard, I would like hear them against the Excites.

I will be auditioning the Excites in a couple of weeks and there is a Totem dealer a little out of my way, but still in my range. Anyone with opinions of the Totem Dreamcatchers? Should I bother with them?:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Including Naim themselves. There is a reason the power switch is not convenient to access.
This is another "weird" thing with the Naim equipments, I find it quite inconvenient to go to my Naim amp and switch it on/off from behind of the case. So basically even if all my other equipments can be remotely swichted on, I still have to... move, not to mention the hilarious THUMP like a cannon when switching on. Naim claim that way is better, and recommend leaving it ON all the time, but I have not found any difference in terms of sound at all.

By the way I think we should all give Naim an applause for doing things in their own funny way :D

·
Registered
110 Posts

I am going to scratch the DM’s and the Excite X12’s off my list after hearing your opinions, and instead look at the X14’s. The next speakers I buy will be with me for a long time so I want to invest wisely.

As for the Focus series, I was almost contemplating them, but they seem to be very difficult to find, especially the Focus center channel. Plus they would be pushing me into uncomfortable price range and I would have to keep my Klipsch rears for sure. With the Excites I should be able to get myself into all 5 speakers, or as you’ve mentioned go with the lower models for surround duty.

I had heard the Focus series may be the most lively range, but that the new Excite models come a bit closer to their performance. I also saw a comment from a few different people in my long research period on many forums who heard some Totem Dreamcatchers and found them to be much more engaging than either the Excites of Focus ranges. I wonder if the Excites would be enough of an engaging listen over my Klipsch’s? Have any of you had any experience with Totem Acoustics? The Dreamcatchers are quite a bit cheaper than the Excites so I’m a little cautious of how good they really sound. I really don’t know much about Totem speakers but if they’re really as engaging as I’ve heard, I would like hear them against the Excites.

I will be auditioning the Excites in a couple of weeks and there is a Totem dealer a little out of my way, but still in my range. Anyone with opinions of the Totem Dreamcatchers? Should I bother with them?:confused:
I think some can be impressed by the bright high, mid-high, and the airy, broad soundstage of Totem speakers, however the rest of the FR is quite mediocre and not up on a par with Dyn's. Also they will demonstrate these characteristics through all kinds of music so you should be cautious and see if you really want that "voice".

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This is another "weird" thing with the Naim equipments, I find it quite inconvenient to go to my Naim amp and switch it on/off from behind of the case. So basically even if all my other equipments can be remotely swichted on, I still have to... move, not to mention the hilarious THUMP like a cannon when switching on. Naim claim that way is better, and recommend leaving it ON all the time, but I have not found any difference in terms of sound at all.

By the way I think we should all give Naim an applause for doing things in their own funny way :D
Well, they are British after all...

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK so I finally got the Focus 260 at home - was lucky got one of the very last ones left to buy.

It was quite interesting to compare to Excite X32 - the Dynaudio audio sound is there in both, and they are voiced almost identically the same !

As my F260 is brand new out of box, I need to run in for 300 hours before posting any conclusions

The F260 is a bigger speaker, and the tweeter is more refined than the Excite X32. The bass drivers are also bigger, and the music flows nicely, there is a sense of ease in the music which was not there before BUT The Excite X32 to me sounds a little more "exciting" - forgive the pun, and offers a huge slice of hi-end sound at sensible prices. As I listen to Dance, Hip Hop, Rock and Heavy metal the presentation of X32 seems (a little) more fun to me.

But it is just a few hours old, maybe this will change in 300 hours of playing music.

I had the good luck of hearing both side by side with exactly the same electronics which is Chord Hugo, Naim 282/HicapDR/Nap 250DR

Overall now that Focus is not made anymore, I am now very sure that anyone who buys a X14, X18 X34 or X38 or X44 would love them as the Excite is a hugely musical and enjoyable range.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well I heard a Bryston for the first time since I owned the 4B, the model number was 3B3, 200wpc playing on a pair of Magnepans 1.7s at a Dealer today, breath taking is the words to describe it!
Insane how they have refined the sound vs the 1rst gen 4B and how they have dramatically improved the soundstage since, with all that power they are now able to deliver finesse, nuance, incredible imaging through those beast, even my SST literally had nothing to do with my ST so imagine the 4B vs the 4B Cube, we are talking 4 generations later after the ST SST, SST² and now the Cubed.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
OK so I finally got the Focus 260 at home - was lucky got one of the very last ones left to buy.

It was quite interesting to compare to Excite X32 - the Dynaudio audio sound is there in both, and they are voiced almost identically the same !

As my F260 is brand new out of box, I need to run in for 300 hours before posting any conclusions

The F260 is a bigger speaker, and the tweeter is more refined than the Excite X32. The bass drivers are also bigger, and the music flows nicely, there is a sense of ease in the music which was not there before BUT The Excite X32 to me sounds a little more "exciting" - forgive the pun, and offers a huge slice of hi-end sound at sensible prices. As I listen to Dance, Hip Hop, Rock and Heavy metal the presentation of X32 seems (a little) more fun to me.

But it is just a few hours old, maybe this will change in 300 hours of playing music.

I had the good luck of hearing both side by side with exactly the same electronics which is Chord Hugo, Naim 282/HicapDR/Nap 250DR

Overall now that Focus is not made anymore, I am now very sure that anyone who buys a X14, X18 X34 or X38 or X44 would love them as the Excite is a hugely musical and enjoyable range.
Glad to hear you have a home demo,when i bought my focus 160's a few years back,i first heard them at my dealer side by side with a brand new pair of focus 260's.The 160's already had a few months on them,to my ears the 160's were much livelier,with better bass punch and just an overall better sound.(the 260's sounded flat)My dealer pointed out to me that the 160's had 3 months,while the 260's had only a few hours on them.This was my first real HIGH-END speaker,and i was not convinced that the sound would change dramatically after "burn in".The price of the 160's was cheaper,and to me the 260's sounded lifeless,so i jumped on the 160's,and LOVED them,until i moved up the ladder to the c1's.To this day,i have not heard a pair of fully broken in 260's,i would say give them more time and keep us informed of your decision,very interesting.Keep that Naim gear warm;)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

When I first got into Dynaudio speakers I also auditioned the Totem Arro (tower version of the Dreamcatcher) and Sttaf (tower version of the Mite). For me it came down to the Sttaf and the Dynaudio Excite X16, I bought the X16s. The Sttaf and Arros where nice speakers but they lacked output and bass, especially the Arros. For home theater I knew they'd never meet my expectations, and I felt they lacked top and bottom end dynamics. Musically they were both good (especially the Sttaf) but still lacked the dynamic range of the X16s bass and output, plus I felt I could play the X16s louder.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I also saw a comment from a few different people in my long research period on many forums who heard some Totem Dreamcatchers and found them to be much more engaging than either the Excites of Focus ranges. I wonder if the Excites would be enough of an engaging listen over my Klipsch’s? Have any of you had any experience with Totem Acoustics? The Dreamcatchers are quite a bit cheaper than the Excites so I’m a little cautious of how good they really sound. I really don’t know much about Totem speakers but if they’re really as engaging as I’ve heard, I would like hear them against the Excites.

I loved the Totem Mani 2. Great speaker, and very Dynaudio-like. The Model 1 was pretty good too, albeit a little forward. But every Totem speaker I've heard since then has sounded colored. And most with a large helping of sizzle, boom, or boom and sizzle. The Dreamcatcher's have the sizzle, but not the boom. If your Klipsch Icon speakers are tiring to your ears, there is a good chance the Dreamcatcher will be too.

If you have a Revel dealer nearby, I recommend you consider the M105. Revel speakers have a little more top end energy than Dynaudio but they are still very neutral speakers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad to hear you have a home demo,when i bought my focus 160's a few years back,i first heard them at my dealer side by side with a brand new pair of focus 260's.The 160's already had a few months on them,to my ears the 160's were much livelier,with better bass punch and just an overall better sound.(the 260's sounded flat)My dealer pointed out to me that the 160's had 3 months,while the 260's had only a few hours on them.This was my first real HIGH-END speaker,and i was not convinced that the sound would change dramatically after "burn in".The price of the 160's was cheaper,and to me the 260's sounded lifeless,so i jumped on the 160's,and LOVED them,until i moved up the ladder to the c1's.To this day,i have not heard a pair of fully broken in 260's,i would say give them more time and keep us informed of your decision,very interesting.Keep that Naim gear warm;)
I did purchase the F260 : but here is the update : 24 hours after switch on, I have no doubts that it is a keeper. Very pleased with it.

The X32 is still one superb speaker, but no regrets about upgrading to F260 at all.

29901 - 29920 of 47731 Posts