AVS Forum banner

31261 - 31280 of 47732 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I agree with Callas, it will work fine...I powered 160's with a unitiqute 2 for a little while and it was a surprisingly good combo.
Did you call Glen?The nice thing is, the 340's will only get better if you decide to upgrade your amp later on.
Yes he could always add a NAP200 down the road.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If the system is just for you and you only sit in the sweet spot, you might not need that center channel. It's more important if you have people seated well off center and want voices to stay anchored to the screen. If it were me, I'd prioritize it below the acoustic treatments and integrated.

Regarding amps, they mostly last a long time. I've never owned anything for more than 15 years, but I've had numerous amps in the 10-15 year old range with no problems, and I've never gotten rid of an amp because it broke. I have had a few that required service. I bought a Creek 5350SE new in 2002 that failed in less than a year, then after repair failed again in less than a year, and since then it has been fine but it hardly sees any use. I have a Simaudio Titan that shorted out when it was 11 or 12 years old, due to a combination of massive dust buildup and static electricity causing a spark. Blame that on neglect - the amp sat in an empty house gathering dust for 3 years while I was out of the country. Simaudio was wonderful to work with on service. I've got two other Sim amps that are 12 years old and no problems. I had an Ayre AX-5 that required warranty service. Ayre was great. I have a Luxman M-600A that just failed, but I got it second hand last year and don't really know its history.

I'm glad you like the 160s. They surprised me as well, performing above their price class in most ways.
But having no center channel means that this part of the 5.1-signal is put into the L and R fronts instead, right?
So a center channel should free up "audio space" in L and R fronts, I'm thinking.
Not sure how big an improvement it would be though.

As for sitting in in the sweet spot I don't always do that, however it's not a problem for me sound-wise - it's not like I'm thinking I need a center channel desperately.

I wouldn't mind saving the money, that's for sure :)
Could go into acoustic treatment and a good integrated, as you say.

As for your long term experience with amps, that's incredible! Then I can better understand how people would want to put a lot of money into a piece of gear.
Thanks for sharing this, it's good to know.

You're a fan of Simaudio, I can see.
Would a Simaudio Neo 250i be something I ought to listen to with the 160s, do you think?

Thanks, yes, the 160s are great :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Naim will service(re-cap) every amp they ever made,they recommend that you have it done after ten years.Most of the people that have the re-cap done report obvious improvements after the service.The thing is,most Naim users get bitten by the upgrade bug long before the ten year window,and move up the ladder to something better/different.Funny thing,it happened to me...it (Naim) is worse than crack!;)Glad you like the 160's,i told you they are good,and only get better with time,and better electronics.
I'm really happy to hear about such good long term service, and like I said above to Red MC, it means I am not so hesitant to put more money into an integrated than I otherwise would have.

Yes, it's true that the 160s are in a different league entirely compared to the X14 which I also have and consider a great speaker in it's own right.

I'm tempted to go completely nuts and put $6000 into some kick a** electronics to drive them well! :cool:
Music and audio is a big part of my enjoyment of life and have been so for many years.
That kind of money would open up a path to some seriously good-sounding stuff, I'll bet.
But my #1 priority is acoustic treatment.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Take your pick those are all decent Int. Amps, I have owned Creek/Musical Fidelity and Rega at the M6si does very well with Dynaudio.
Sounds good, Garman :) I wasn't crazy about the M6si which I've heard on two occasions at a nearby dealer, however I need to get it home in my own room and with my own speakers to pass proper judgment on them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It seems like EVERYTHING new that Dynaudio has put out lately is recieving 5 stars/rave reviews,can't wait to see/hear the NEW Contour c 20's.:)
It really is amazing how a company can continually, model after model, with years in-between product line updates, release such great speakers.
I'm not sure I'm gonna listen to the C20's myself though as I don't want to get tempted!
I just got these nice 160s so to switch would be a crazy thing to do.
Other things are more important for me to get right now.
But it's so great to see your excitement :)
I can totally put myself in your shoes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dust settles on my pretty little Esotec+ tweeters. Does this have any effect? Do I have to remove the dust? If so, how? I do absolutely not want to touch it, looks so fragile! :O

Halp.
Yes, for best sound you should remove the dust. dont touch it, you can use a camera lens blower. dont blow it from the front facing 90 degrees, do it from the side facing aroung 20 degrees to the tweeter cone. you can also use a static duster but be cautious. all do it for your own risk.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My montly first world audiophile problem/question... Otto and others can perhaps answer this.

Dust settles on my pretty little Esotec+ tweeters. Does this have any effect? Do I have to remove the dust? If so, how? I do absolutely not want to touch it, looks so fragile! :O

Halp.
I don't see how blowing with air would hurt, but official recommendation from the driver engineers: Leave it. DEFINITELY no brushing!

Woofers can be cleaned with a dry cloth.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
But having no center channel means that this part of the 5.1-signal is put into the L and R fronts instead, right?
So a center channel should free up "audio space" in L and R fronts, I'm thinking.
Not sure how big an improvement it would be though.

As for sitting in in the sweet spot I don't always do that, however it's not a problem for me sound-wise - it's not like I'm thinking I need a center channel desperately.

I wouldn't mind saving the money, that's for sure :)
Could go into acoustic treatment and a good integrated, as you say.

As for your long term experience with amps, that's incredible! Then I can better understand how people would want to put a lot of money into a piece of gear.
Thanks for sharing this, it's good to know.

You're a fan of Simaudio, I can see.
Would a Simaudio Neo 250i be something I ought to listen to with the 160s, do you think?

Thanks, yes, the 160s are great :)
For movies, if that was part of your plan, the 250i does not have a HT Bypass, you'd have to go up to the 340i to add that feature.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I'm really happy to hear about such good long term service, and like I said above to Red MC, it means I am not so hesitant to put more money into an integrated than I otherwise would have.

Yes, it's true that the 160s are in a different league entirely compared to the X14 which I also have and consider a great speaker in it's own right.

I'm tempted to go completely nuts and put $6000 into some kick a** electronics to drive them well! :cool:
Music and audio is a big part of my enjoyment of life and have been so for many years.
That kind of money would open up a path to some seriously good-sounding stuff, I'll bet.
I would say that without a doubt, the Naim Uniti2 is one of the best units out there as it can really do everything and I have yet to see what its limits are. Great dac, upnp streaming interface for computers is easy and great, you can hardware in a computer, streaming tidal or Spotify, CD player, the power so far is outstanding, personally don't see why I would need more. HT bypass function. Honestly and I'm sure Spurrier Sucks can agree it's a unit that really brings everything together in a very good way. Perhaps you could get away with the Unitilite if your rooms small and youre not insane on the volume like.... Me or john at times

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

I'm tempted to go completely nuts and put $6000 into some kick a** electronics to drive them well!

I would say that without a doubt, the Naim Uniti2 is one of the best units out there as it can really do everything and I have yet to see what its limits are. Great dac, upnp streaming interface for computers is easy and great, you can hardware in a computer, streaming tidal or Spotify, CD player, the power so far is outstanding, personally don't see why I would need more. HT bypass function. Honestly and I'm sure Spurrier Sucks can agree it's a unit that really brings everything together in a very good way. Perhaps you could get away with the Unitilite if your rooms small and youre not insane on the volume like.... Me or john at times
The U2 is nice. Only reason I think about upgrading is because I'm obsessed with upgrading. Thing is that when I turn it on and play music then I forget about upgrading and just enjoy the music. A Uniti 2 would be worth adding to your list to audition.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The U2 is nice. Only reason I think about upgrading is because I'm obsessed with upgrading. Thing is that when I turn it on and play music then I forget about upgrading and just enjoy the music. A Uniti 2 would be worth adding to your list to audition.
I know the feeling SS,i am obsessed too,i might be picking up my 250 dr today...i will try and take a few pics of those 340's my dealer has.:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think the bryston b100/ b135 would be a great match for the 160. It worked well with my contours and even got the c4s rocking with no issues. Quality and absurdly well supported gear, and there just so happens to be a few of them for sale right now on audiogon. One of them seemed like a real bargain. fully dual mono including power supplies and built to last

I'll probably be picking up a 14bsst2 or 14bsst3 eventually. I love no nonsense industrial designed electronics.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would a Simaudio Neo 250i be something I ought to listen to with the 160s
I think the 160s deserve the Sim 340i; better spend a little more from the start and be satisfied for a long time, than going for the cheaper model and get the upgrade bug right after.

I'd also recommend the Bladelius Thor MkIII for the 160s.

http://www.bladelius.com/products/bladelius/integrated-amps/thor-mk-iii.html

http://www.lydogbillede.dk/test/bladelius-thor-mk-iii-novitas/

http://www.hifi4all.dk/content/templates/anmeldelser.asp?articleid=2415&zoneid=3

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I went and picked up my new nap 250 dr today and some naca5 speaker cables,still in the box for now.I promised some photos for Lincoln,who is interested in the focus 340's my dealer has,as you know there are a couple of scuffs on 1 speaker only.You have to get real close to even notice them,he had them playing and they sounded wonderful...well worth the asking price.The closeups are of the scuffs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I went and picked up my new nap 250 dr today and some naca5 speaker cables,still in the box for now.I promised some photos for Lincoln,who is interested in the focus 340's my dealer has,as you know there are a couple of scuffs on 1 speaker only.You have to get real close to even notice them,he had them playing and they sounded wonderful...well worth the asking price.The closeups are of the scuffs.
Did you get some Naim Fraim to put your new gear on?:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the help! The 340s do look fantastic! I wouldn't even bother fixing the scuffs, I have a feeling my toddlers will decorate them with more soon enough :(

maybe I should get them phones to play Pokemon Go so they keep their hands off of the speakers.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I think the bryston b100/ b135 would be a great match for the 160. It worked well with my contours and even got the c4s rocking with no issues. Quality and absurdly well supported gear, and there just so happens to be a few of them for sale right now on audiogon. One of them seemed like a real bargain. fully dual mono including power supplies and built to last

I'll probably be picking up a 14bsst2 or 14bsst3 eventually. I love no nonsense industrial designed electronics.
If I stick with Bryston I will simply get the 4B³ to drive my Contour 30, I believe it is more than enough headroom at 500wpc at 4ohms vs the 900wpc of the 14 B³. If I were you I would just get o the Cubed vs the Square :)

Been Driving the X-18 with the 6B-SST and it's sounds pretty darn good :)

31261 - 31280 of 47732 Posts