AVS Forum banner

31301 - 31320 of 47732 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Is @Callas going to jump on these?
No!!

I have no upgrade bug!

The antibiotics of Focus 260s and NaimUniti 2 has cured everything!

The C30s would have to make me question everything to change to those as well.

Reactions: hbjdk

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
@hbjdk the Sim 340 should be a good unit. I had the I.3SE in my house which the 340 replaced. It was a good unit but it did not make me want to change out my Naim XS. The dealer I use for the Naim products was trying to get me to change to the Uniti2 and I was very reluctant as I loved the XS. He finally agreed that if I didnt love the U2 he'd send me my money back or use it to get anything else and a new XS 2 that was just being released. The U2 is one thing I know I'm not changing anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
@hbjdk the Sim 340 should be a good unit. I had the I.3SE in my house which the 340 replaced. It was a good unit but it did not make me want to change out my Naim XS. The dealer I use for the Naim products was trying to get me to change to the Uniti2 and I was very reluctant as I loved the XS. He finally agreed that if I didnt love the U2 he'd send me my money back or use it to get anything else and a new XS 2 that was just being released. The U2 is one thing I know I'm not changing anytime soon.

Heard the 1.3 with X-32 back then and also with the X-34 now with the i340 and as good as the pairing is I've preferred the Bryston B-135 with the x-34. But I am sure if @hbjdk can get a deal on the i340 it surely is a great match and a lot of dyn owner out here have done the same pairing.

May I also mentioned you were also reluctant of changing your Nait 5i to the XS and you were also surprised, just shows Naim sure knows how to step it up :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
callas01 & Spurrier Sucks:
Sunya:
Sim 340i is a possibility for sure.
About being satisfied for a long time vs. getting the upgrade bug right after getting a cheaper model, don't you think it's often also just because we hifi people are curious people who feel the need/desire to change gear every now to hear how this or that other amp or whatever sounds in our system and room?
I think that's how I feel anyway.
But if I do end up paying lots of $$$ for some unit next up, then switching gear will become more difficult or downright impossible for me as this is pretty much a one shot opportunity for me to get this kind of expensive gear.
I don't have that amount of money normally, it's only because of this inheritance I'm receiving that I do now.
I guess I must try and get used to the fact that I will be set from now on hifi-wise, depending on what unit I buy next up.
It's a boring thought in a way! :)
hi,
some years ago i demo'd both Moon integrated at home with dynaudio C1's.
The bigger moon ( 340i) is much better, and with dynaudio, I would not use any smaller.
You could always opt for a older model like Moon i3.3. Think they are technical almost equal to the
new moon 340i or moon Neo 340.
Moon i5.3 rs also nice amps, but you lose some options: headphone out, dac, xlr and phono)

·
Registered
251 Posts
andrex99, thanks for chiming in with your experience with Sim amps.
I have just found out however that a dealer here in Denmark has a demo model of a Naim Unitilite (without the DAB-module) which he sells for $2324.
I can see the Unitilite receives glowing reviews around the web, plus people here recommend it.
Thus I've emailed the dealer asking him to put the Unitilite on hold for me until I get the inheritance this upcoming week.
Hopefully nobody else has reacted before me :)
If I get to buy it and it turns out I like it, I think I will just keep it and skip demoing other amps.
I've also had the Focus 210 C center speaker put on hold for me.
Then I'll make those two purchases and call it a day provided I like the Unitilite.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I have just found out however that a dealer here in Denmark has a demo model of a Naim Unitilite (without the DAB-module) which he sells for $2324.
I can see the Unitilite receives glowing reviews around the web, plus people here recommend it.
Thus I've emailed the dealer asking him to put the Unitilite on hold for me until I get the inheritance this upcoming week.
Hopefully nobody else has reacted before me :)
If I get to buy it and it turns out I like it, I think I will just keep it and skip demoing other amps.
Then I'll make those two purchases and call it a day provided I like the Unitilite.
I was trying to get my buddy to buy a Unitilite for his DM3/7s. My dealer said they'd be a great fit. I'm sure that would be a good match for the 160s as well.

The 210C is very good! The X24 and X22 are excellent for their size the 210C is punchier and more open.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have very little experience with Bryston but the B100 sst has a main in programmable bypass for HT.

I heard the Bryston cubed amps, speakers (large monitors) and preamp. If you like the parasound/anthem sound I'd say it's similar.
I'd say the Cubed amp have a slightly more open and bigger sound stage vs the Anthem and has also quite a bit more refinement to the sound , I am sure you have not heard the cube with Dynaudios ;)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I'd say the Cubed amp have a slightly more open and bigger sound stage vs the Anthem and has also quite a bit more refinement to the sound , I am sure you have not heard the cube with Dynaudios ;)
Like I said the setup was a complete Bryston setup - pre, amp and speakers, all Bryston. I found it rather clinical sounding with too much bass(yes I said that), not exactly the PRaT I'm use to.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hopefully nobody else has reacted before me

From what I've read people seem to like the UnitiQute more than the UL. I haven't heard one but if you can demo a UQ2 along with the UL then do so. You can always add a NAP200 to that or maybe even a NAP100 would be sufficient. It has the same pier as the UL but probably better quality. A lot of people seem to think the 100 is on par with a 250 but not as much power of course.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Like I said the setup was a complete Bryston setup - pre, amp and speakers, all Bryston. I found it rather clinical sounding with too much bass(yes I said that), not exactly the PRaT I'm use to.
Sounds accurate on the Bryston combination I heard with the 4Bcubed and the Model T with Bryston preamp but that being said it becomes a whole different story with Dyns and Totems. And as for the Bass department I am not surprised the Bryston speakers have their bass drivers close to the floor which contribute to this, complete opposite of what the Confidence C-1 and older Contour line design does with the reverse design.

Regardless I do believe Bryston pair really well with Dyns. The Naim might have more PRAT and surely does sound extremely musical with Dyns, I just can't get over the pairing of the SN with the C1 Signature I heard back in 2011.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sounds accurate on the Bryston combination I heard with the 4Bcubed and the Model T with Bryston preamp but that being said it becomes a whole different story with Dyns and Totems. And as for the Bass department I am not surprised the Bryston speakers have their bass drivers close to the floor which contribute to this, complete opposite of what the Confidence C-1 and older Contour line design does with the reverse design.

Regardless I do believe Bryston pair really well with Dyns. The Naim might have more PRAT and surely does sound extremely musical with Dyns, I just can't get over the pairing of the SN with the C1 Signature I heard back in 2011.
I agree that the Sn 2 is not enough amp for the c1's,i tried that combo for almost a month,did not do it for me...however,the nap 250dr is up to the task...i had that combo at home for a week,and it is miles ahead of the Sn2/c1 pairing.:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was trying to get my buddy to buy a Unitilite for his DM3/7s. My dealer said they'd be a great fit. I'm sure that would be a good match for the 160s as well.

The 210C is very good! The X24 and X22 are excellent for their size the 210C is punchier and more open.
Sounds good! I'm looking forward to hearing both the Unitilite and the 210C in action.

·
Registered
251 Posts
From what I've read people seem to like the UnitiQute more than the UL. I haven't heard one but if you can demo a UQ2 along with the UL then do so. You can always add a NAP200 to that or maybe even a NAP100 would be sufficient. It has the same pier as the UL but probably better quality. A lot of people seem to think the 100 is on par with a 250 but not as much power of course.
Dealer carries both, so I'll just order both of them and see what I think.
Thanks for the tip.
NAP100 is affordable, it's nice there's a way to upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is good to hear,unfortunately Glen is not open on Mondays,unless you have a special arrangement.
We are emailing back and forth at one interchange a day :). He has been super helpful!

He has a demo pair of Belles Soloist 3 (Pre) & 5 Amp combo and he suggested them for the 340s (to work with my budget). I haven't been able to find much info online about these. Any thoughts?

The Soloist 3 pre has HT bypass.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
We are emailing back and forth at one interchange a day :). He has been super helpful!

He has a demo pair of Belles Soloist 3 (Pre) & 5 Amp combo and he suggested them for the 340s (to work with my budget). I haven't been able to find much info online about these. Any thoughts?

The Soloist 3 pre has HT bypass.
I know CD and Border Dog have used and/or use Belles amps. I believe they both enjoyed them very much as well. I do not know if either has used their preamps before tho.

I don't believe CD ever had an issue selling his amps in the past so if you find its not for you the resale market seems decent enough.

31301 - 31320 of 47732 Posts