AVS Forum banner

31321 - 31340 of 48005 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We are emailing back and forth at one interchange a day :). He has been super helpful!

He has a demo pair of Belles Soloist 3 (Pre) & 5 Amp combo and he suggested them for the 340s (to work with my budget). I haven't been able to find much info online about these. Any thoughts?

The Soloist 3 pre has HT bypass.
I did see the Belles combo in his store the other day,but i am not sure if that is what he was playing the 340's with when i was there.From what i know or have read,Belles gear works well with Dyn,and i think it is kind of like Naim gear in that it punches above it's weight...don't let the 65 watts fool you in other words.There used to be a member here (Borderdog) that used Belles monoblocks with special 25's,and i think a current member (cd lehner) also used Belles gear at one time,it might be worth PM'ing him for his thoughts,as i don't have any first hand experience with that combo.But if Glen has recommended them,i would take his word.
Oops,looks like Callas beat me to it.;)

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
A little follow up on the new Naim Nap 250 dr...I was a little apprehensive at first taking the xd 600's out of the 2 channel room,thinking it would be a downgrade in 2 channel,but an upgrade in home theater.Well,i know it will be an upgrade in home theater,but to be honest,i do not feel let down at all with this terrific amp driving my little excite 12's.The presentation is more relaxed with the excite's,the xd's are more up front/in your face kind of sound,just like the focus 160's i used to own.The excite's really come alive with the n272/250 dr,the 250 has an iron grip on the drivers,yet with amazing detail/finesse...the speakers disappear,and i just hear music in the room.There is something about a Naim pre/amp/cable combo that gets my toes tapping right away,how often have you just got up early to listen to music for hours on end?
I am extremely happy with this amp,and can't wait to put a reference moniter behind it,things will only improve when i add a power supply to the 272,simply brilliant combo.:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
hi,
some years ago i demo'd both Moon integrated at home with dynaudio C1's.
The bigger moon ( 340i) is much better, and with dynaudio, I would not use any smaller.
You could always opt for a older model like Moon i3.3. Think they are technical almost equal to the
new moon 340i or moon Neo 340.
Moon i5.3 rs also nice amps, but you lose some options: headphone out, dac, xlr and phono)

The i5.3 is limited to 130W/ch into 4 ohms by virtue of having only a single pair of output transistors per channel. If you can live within its power limits, I recommend it. I've owned two of the i-5 LE, which was the direct predecessor of the i5.3. IMHO, it sounds better overall than the i-3 and i3.3, and so I expect I would probably prefer it over the 340 as well. The main thing I liked better is the midrange, where it has more tone color and a touch of warmth. It also seems to have a little better PRaT. And they come up somewhat regularly on the used market for $1500-2000 depending on vintage.

The one to really look out for though is the i-7.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We are emailing back and forth at one interchange a day :). He has been super helpful!

He has a demo pair of Belles Soloist 3 (Pre) & 5 Amp combo and he suggested them for the 340s (to work with my budget). I haven't been able to find much info online about these. Any thoughts?

The Soloist 3 pre has HT bypass.
Borderdog
Yesterday 08:08 PM Borderdog
Hey Guys,

I still use Belles electronics. Currently have MB-200 mono-block amps (solid state) and VT-01pre, which is a tubed pre-amp. Belles is the only manufacturer I know of that uses Dynaudio speakers to voice his gear. It's good stuff. His new integrated is really good for the money.

I do peruse the Dyn thread from time to time, but I still can't post. I can post on any other thread except the Dyn thread. Oh well.

Take care,
Aaron

Lincoln,I am not sure if Borderdog Pm'd you,but did me...he is still banned here,above is what he sent me.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey lads,

Just wanted to let you know that we're a new Dynaudio dealer located in Markham, ON. We're really excited to be not only working with Dynaudio, but making it our flagship speaker brand. We'll be carrying the full line, including the upcoming Contour series upon its release this winter.

For obvious reasons, I'm going to refrain from posting our business name here as that would be in poor taste, but feel free to PM me for any inquiries you have pertaining to Dynaudio in Canada.

Thanks,
Riz

·
Registered
251 Posts
A Danish store only 50 mins. away by train has a used Naim Nac 202/200-combo which I have reserved the right to buy.

Price is $3000 :)

Turns out UnitiQute and UnitiLite can't be used in a surroundsystem according to another dealer. So those are not for me.

EDIT:
Should probably mention that the normal sales price for the combo here in Denmark is twice that!

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Hi guys. Has anyone heard the X14 and M10 side by side? I need a pair of bookshelves for nearfield use, and was wondering which can hit 50Hz with authority and still spread a nice soundstage at about a 5ft distance.

Thanks for your input!
Paul
That might be a toss up between those two considering they have both gotten rave reviews. I have heard them on separate occasions X14 at the Axpona show and recently a pair of M10 over at a friends house, both were excellent sounding for their size. I am leaning towards a pair of M20 for my office.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks! In your office, what will your listening distance be?

That might be a toss up between those two considering they have both gotten rave reviews. I have heard them on separate occasions X14 at the Axpona show and recently a pair of M10 over at a friends house, both were excellent sounding for their size. I am leaning towards a pair of M20 for my office.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I am going ahead with the Focus 340s. Need to finalize the amp. The Belles Solorist 3 & 5 with demo warranty or the used Naim XS ?
I would imagine that not too many folks here have heard the Belles combo,but quite a few have heard the Naim xs,so it would probably be speculation.Myself i have owned the Naim Unitiqute 2,which i used with focus 160's,also supernait 2 with the 160's...so i know the amp above and below it,but have not heard the XS.If you can wait until the weekend,i can ask Glen to set up the Belles combo,and i will go have a listen,knowing what the Naim amp probably does...and i will give you my honest opinion.I am working lots of overtime this week,so Saturday would be my only chance to get there,i know you are probably anxious to get everything home...up to you.:)By the way,the store is only a 15 minute drive for me,so not a big deal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi guys. Has anyone heard the X14 and M10 side by side? I need a pair of bookshelves for nearfield use, and was wondering which can hit 50Hz with authority and still spread a nice soundstage at about a 5ft distance.

Thanks for your input!
Paul
Hi Paul, I can recommend the X14 - use them as rear surrounds but have tested them as fronts also for a little while, they sound great.
For example with classical music, brass has such a nice bite, just as it should have.
Whether or not X14 can hit 50Hz with authority and a good soundstage is a subjective thing and something which can only be answered by your own testing really.
Personally I think X14s are a little bass light and thus need a sub, both for music and movies, but that's just my impression. YMMV.

Haven't heard M10 at all so I can't comment on that or compare it to X14, sorry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for this insight! It's interesting how some sites glow about the x14s and Emit 10s ability to reproduce low frequencies. I figured that cabs this small wouldn't do much with any authority, but in my small room, it might just work. I still have to listen to them if I can find a place that carries both. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Thanks for this insight! It's interesting how some sites glow about the x14s and Emit 10s ability to reproduce low frequencies. I figured that cabs this small wouldn't do much with any authority, but in my small room, it might just work. I still have to listen to them if I can find a place that carries both. Thanks again!
A lot of the bass differences people report have a LOT to do with the electronics used to drive them,someone using a typical AVR would probably not be that impressed.Myself,i am currently running a Naim N272/250 dr combo into my excite 12's and the bass is really impressive,actually everything about this speaker is impressive...with the right gear infront of it.;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
A lot of the bass differences people report have a LOT to do with the electronics used to drive them,someone using a typical AVR would probably not be that impressed.Myself,i am currently running a Naim N272/250 dr combo into my excite 12's and the bass is really impressive,actually everything about this speaker is impressive...with the right gear infront of it.;)
Absolutely no quarter, it's a good thing you added this as I forgot to mention it myself: I'm using a mediocre AVR and I'm sure a powerful integrated or a good pre/power-combo will yield much better results with the X14 (or indeed any other speaker).

I also forgot to mention my room is very small, check photos here if you want to see it: https://app.box.com/s/aejesu0iotk8o069x18iuab7aqvo45x5

Also btw. my immediate impression of the X14 was that they had "a pitch black background", if that makes any sense?
That sounds very nice!

EDIT:
AVR is a Denon X4100W. Great for movies, acceptable for pop and rock but not for classical.

31321 - 31340 of 48005 Posts