AVS Forum banner

31341 - 31360 of 47720 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am going ahead with the Focus 340s. Need to finalize the amp. The Belles Solorist 3 & 5 with demo warranty or the used Naim XS ?
I asked Dynaudio about the Focus 340 and 380 a while back and got the reply that especially the 380 were designed for rooms where the listening spot is placed further away from the speakers than I can manage in my room (see post above for link to photos of my room).

Dunno if this is useful to you or not but it doesn't hurt to write this, I guess.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Does the Focus XD grill sit flush against the speaker, or is there a gap like there was on the original Focus series? Thanks to anyone that owns some!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm just trying to put together a neat, midrange system for 2.0 listening. I've never integrated a sub with any my sats very well, sso I'm aiming at something that will do rock 'n roll well, along with various type of jazz, fusion, blues and prog metal. That said, the front end is CDs and WAVs through an Oppo HA-1 and a Parasound A23 amp. I figued the A23 had enough juice to perform well with these little speakers (x14s or m10s). What do you guys think?

Absolutely no quarter, it's a good thing you added this as I forgot to mention it myself: I'm using a mediocre AVR and I'm sure a powerful integrated or a good pre/power-combo will yield much better results with the X14 (or indeed any other speaker).

I also forgot to mention my room is very small, check photos here if you want to see it: https://app.box.com/s/aejesu0iotk8o069x18iuab7aqvo45x5

Also btw. my immediate impression of the X14 was that they had "a pitch black background", if that makes any sense?
That sounds very nice!

EDIT:
AVR is a Denon X4100W. Great for movies, acceptable for pop and rock but not for classical.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm just trying to put together a neat, midrange system for 2.0 listening. I've never integrated a sub with any my sats very well, sso I'm aiming at something that will do rock 'n roll well, along with various type of jazz, fusion, blues and prog metal. That said, the front end is CDs and WAVs through an Oppo HA-1 and a Parasound A23 amp. I figued the A23 had enough juice to perform well with these little speakers (x14s or m10s). What do you guys think?
The A23 has enough juice to drive pretty much any Dyn, a set of M10's or X14's will be a piece of cake for it!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Does the Focus XD grill sit flush against the speaker, or is there a gap like there was on the original Focus series? Thanks to anyone that owns some!
The grill is not flush,there are protruding pieces with steel in them that are about half an inch high...about the same height as the original focus plastic pegs.Then there is a magnet behind the front surface of the speaker,which you can not see.You just hold the grill in front of it and it snaps in to place,really nice set up actually.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would imagine that not too many folks here have heard the Belles combo,but quite a few have heard the Naim xs,so it would probably be speculation.Myself i have owned the Naim Unitiqute 2,which i used with focus 160's,also supernait 2 with the 160's...so i know the amp above and below it,but have not heard the XS.If you can wait until the weekend,i can ask Glen to set up the Belles combo,and i will go have a listen,knowing what the Naim amp probably does...and i will give you my honest opinion.I am working lots of overtime this week,so Saturday would be my only chance to get there,i know you are probably anxious to get everything home...up to you.:)By the way,the store is only a 15 minute drive for me,so not a big deal.
Hey thanks for the offer! I think I might go for a Naim or Hegel.

I stumbled on the Hegel H360 on eBay, any thoughts? What's a good max bid? I am thinking about sniping it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hegel-H360-Integrated-Amplifier-DAC-/381734163557?hash=item58e1211465:g:Xz0AAOSw0UdXrgAC

·
Registered
72 Posts
I asked Dynaudio about the Focus 340 and 380 a while back and got the reply that especially the 380 were designed for rooms where the listening spot is placed further away from the speakers than I can manage in my room (see post above for link to photos of my room).

Dunno if this is useful to you or not but it doesn't hurt to write this, I guess.
Thanks for the heads up! The room I am planning to put these in is a bit small, 9ft (width) x 17 ft (length). But I am most likely going to use them in the family room with my HT setup. That's a bigger room at 15ft x 15ft, but it is a very open room that extends into the dining nook and the kitchen. How far away should I place the 340 from the back and side walls?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
A Danish store only 50 mins. away by train has a used Naim Nac 202/200-combo which I have reserved the right to buy.

Price is $3000 :)

Turns out UnitiQute and UnitiLite can't be used in a surroundsystem according to another dealer. So those are not for me.

EDIT:
Should probably mention that the normal sales price for the combo here in Denmark is twice that!

You can see the Unitilite and U2 has a fixed volume A/V setting in the inputs menu

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! The room I am planning to put these in is a bit small, 9ft (width) x 17 ft (length). But I am most likely going to use them in the family room with my HT setup. That's a bigger room at 15ft x 15ft, but it is a very open room that extends into the dining nook and the kitchen. How far away should I place the 340 from the back and side walls?
To answer myself about speaker placement, according to Dynaudio manual for Focus, the speakers should be placed 2m apart and no less than 0.5m away from any adjacent wall.

So I guess the 9ft wide room barely misses the recommended placement and may actually work :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
callas:
Ack, then I was given incorrect information, thanks for the correction.
I read about how a fixed volume means you can use the unit in question in a surround setup, but how do I set it up and how do I operate it when switching between stereo and surround?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
callas:
Ack, then I was given incorrect information, thanks for the correction.
I read about how a fixed volume means you can use the unit in question in a surround setup, but how do I set it up and how do I operate it when switching between stereo and surround?
Connect the Preout L and R from back of the Surround sound receiver using rca cables to the analogue 1 input on the back of the Unitilite. When u want to watch movies or tv make sure the Unitilite is selected to the analogue 1 input, the surround receiver will control the volume of the L/R speakers. When u want to do anything else select a separate input like cd, tidal or digital 1 etc.

Reactions: hbjdk

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I ran my 340's right at 2 feet from the back wall and about 3 from the side walls (9 feet apart).

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
To answer myself about speaker placement, according to Dynaudio manual for Focus, the speakers should be placed 2m apart and no less than 0.5m away from any adjacent wall.

So I guess the 9ft wide room barely misses the recommended placement and may actually work :)
I agree with Dyn's recommendations but would add - very little (at max) to no toe in from the listening position. Dyn's drivers are a very high dispersion (especially the tweeter) which is why I recommend little to no toe in. At 2M apart you should get excellent imaging and soundstage.As I have found as you go farther apart you will lose imaging and depth with only gaining just a hair of soundstage. Personally I would take imaging and depth over soundstage but that's me.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Then why not get the M20? They will produce a stronger bass response and fit into your budget.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I am going ahead with the Focus 340s. Need to finalize the amp. The Belles Solorist 3 & 5 with demo warranty or the used Naim XS ?
Not sure how much your budget is but if you can reach the $2500-3000 mark, a used Naim Supernait or SN2 could be a great match.

Never heard Belles, but I'm sure they're very good considering the people I know that own(ed) them on this site.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Thanks for this insight! It's interesting how some sites glow about the x14s and Emit 10s ability to reproduce low frequencies. I figured that cabs this small wouldn't do much with any authority, but in my small room, it might just work. I still have to listen to them if I can find a place that carries both. Thanks again!
My DM2/6s have pretty good bass on both my Naim XS and Uniti2 amps.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Going over Sunday to pick up the Evidence center...

He still has his 2 channel system setup and is going to audition it for me.

Evidence Temptations!!!
That's pretty sweet!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Not sure how much your budget is but if you can reach the $2500-3000 mark, a used Naim Supernait or SN2 could be a great match.

Never heard Belles, but I'm sure they're very good considering the people I know that own(ed) them on this site.
That would work well,and the place he is buying the speakers from has my old mint condition SN2 still I believe...not sure what he is asking for it though.

31341 - 31360 of 47720 Posts