AVS Forum banner

31361 - 31380 of 47724 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excellent integrated! Robustly built and sounds the part too.

I'd also encourage you to look at the Moon 600i and the NuPrime IDA-16. Both have paired beautifully with Dyn in my experience.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Any thoughts on the Hegel H360?
I heard it's little brother H160 with X34 and X14 respectively on two seperate occasions recently, and I liked it.
The sound is very coherent, everything is well integrated.
At first Hegel may sound a little "boring" compared to more immediately exciting amps such as Creek Evolution 100A and especially Musical Fidelity M6si, but if you give it a chance and keep switching back to it, you may end up liking it more than those other amps.
In fact it's one of the amps I'm considering buying myself for my 160s.
Haven't heard the H360 but it's probably got the same qualities as H160, just with more authority and control ? I'd assume so anyway.
DAC on Hegel H160 is of good quality btw.

Yesterday in fact I asked my local dealer, whom I've got a very good and long-lasting relationship with, and he said both Parasound and Hegel were well-built units that should give you long lasting value. And that comes from a dealer who carries competing brands such as Cambridge and NAD.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The grill is not flush,there are protruding pieces with steel in them that are about half an inch high...about the same height as the original focus plastic pegs.Then there is a magnet behind the front surface of the speaker,which you can not see.You just hold the grill in front of it and it snaps in to place,really nice set up actually.
Is there any sort of felt/rubber padding between the grill's magnet and the speaker's front surface? If it's steel on paint, I imagine that it would create some wear over time.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
callas:
Ack, then I was given incorrect information, thanks for the correction.
Since I believe I gave that information, I'd rather argue that the manual is not quite specific enough. Those guidelines are stated as a general rule, which won't be precise for every model, and also in a few areas aren't quite as clear as it could be. For instance, the manual states: "As a starting point, it is recommended that the speakers be about 2 meters apart from each other for the best results (A)." I'd argue that this should read "at least", not "about", as this doesn't make sense if your listening distance is for instance 5 meters. So I'd argue that the guidelines in the manual shouldn't be taken as gospel, and I'd still argue that for the 380 you'd prefer a longer listening distance than for the 340. None of this is exact science though as the room can change what the optimum position will be, so still it should be taken as a guideline, not as fact.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I agree with Dyn's recommendations but would add - very little (at max) to no toe in from the listening position. Dyn's drivers are a very high dispersion (especially the tweeter) which is why I recommend little to no toe in. At 2M apart you should get excellent imaging and soundstage.As I have found as you go farther apart you will lose imaging and depth with only gaining just a hair of soundstage. Personally I would take imaging and depth over soundstage but that's me.
Quick note: I have realized that some people consider "no toe-in" to be pointing straight at the listener, whereas in our terminology (and I believe in most's), "no toe-in" means pointing directly forward, parallel with each other. Just throwing it outthere because I have had misunderstandings about this in the past. How much toe-in, if any, will be strongly dependent on the side walls, but I agree that it is rarely the best option to point the speakers directly towards the listener.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is there any sort of felt/rubber padding between the grill's magnet and the speaker's front surface? If it's steel on paint, I imagine that it would create some wear over time.
There is. I have not seen issues with this, however a known issue with using grilles, magnetic or not, is that the veneer (for veneered finishes of course) will fade differently over time, due to the difference in exposure to light.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The steel is actually inside the plastic frame of the grill,it is like they cast around the steel inserts,so it just appears to be plastic,but there has to be some kind of steel in there for it to work.Then there is a thin piece of felt like material glued to the post,it does not mark the speaker at all...Are you looking to buy a pair?

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Since I believe I gave that information, I'd rather argue that the manual is not quite specific enough. Those guidelines are stated as a general rule, which won't be precise for every model, and also in a few areas aren't quite as clear as it could be. For instance, the manual states: "As a starting point, it is recommended that the speakers be about 2 meters apart from each other for the best results (A)." I'd argue that this should read "at least", not "about", as this doesn't make sense if your listening distance is for instance 5 meters. So I'd argue that the guidelines in the manual shouldn't be taken as gospel, and I'd still argue that for the 380 you'd prefer a longer listening distance than for the 340. None of this is exact science though as the room can change what the optimum position will be, so still it should be taken as a guideline, not as fact.
Otto, callas and I were not talking about Dynaudio Focus 340/380 at all, the subject was whether or not a Naim UnitiQute and UnitiLite can be used in a surround setup or not.
A dealer had told me that they can't, however callas knew they could and was kind enough to correct the incorrect information I had been given by this particular dealer.
Still got your mind partly in holiday mode Otto, I guess! :D:)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The steel is actually inside the plastic frame of the grill,it is like they cast around the steel inserts,so it just appears to be plastic,but there has to be some kind of steel in there for it to work.Then there is a thin piece of felt like material glued to the post,it does not mark the speaker at all...Are you looking to buy a pair?
Just thinking about long-term plans a few years from now (2-3 years). I figured with active members on the forum that own them, it wouldn't hurt to ask at this point and keep the information in mind for later. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Otto,or anyone who knows...since we are talking about grills,is there any way to get a broken peg from a grill out of the hole in the speaker safely without damaging anything?Here are a few pics of one of my excite grills with the one peg broken off,and it remains in the speaker...and i really don't want to buy another one,but it DOES bother me a bit,i am sure i am not the only one who this happened to,it does still function properly.My guess is that this problem is one of the reasons they went with the magnetic grills,you can also see that the post is very similar in appearance to the magnetic grill post,minus the peg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Otto,or anyone who knows...since we are talking about grills,is there any way to get a broken peg from a grill out of the hole in the speaker safely without damaging anything?Here are a few pics of one of my excite grills with the one peg broken off,and it remains in the speaker...and i really don't want to buy another one,but it DOES bother me a bit,i am sure i am not the only one who this happened to,it does still function properly.My guess is that this problem is one of the reasons they went with the magnetic grills,you can also see that the post is very similar in appearance to the magnetic grill post,minus the peg.
To make sure I give you the best answer, I will ask in manufacturing tomorrow, and get back to you.

Regarding grills, there are small magnets inside each "peg", not metal in the frame.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
To make sure I give you the best answer, I will ask in manufacturing tomorrow, and get back to you.

Regarding grills, there are small magnets inside each "peg", not metal in the frame.
Thanks Otto,and yes you are correct about the grills having a magnet in them,i just tested them with i thin piece of steel,there is a magnet in the grill and in the speaker.:)

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Thanks! In your office, what will your listening distance be?
It can vary from 5 feet to 15 feet, not doing critical listening in this room.... More for causal listening.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Any thoughts on the Hegel H360?
That would be the end all of choices, similar to my Musical Fidelity KW-500, I am extremely happy with the H100 and that is being used a a great backup everyday piece, heck the 160 or 360 would be superb!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/reference-3a-taksim-loudspeaker/
I have mentioned here that my dealer is closing,and trying to move all his remaining gear,I can get these for just over half price,I am going to demo them in a week or so.Has anyone heard them before?,they are made in Canada and were in a room at the TAVES show last year I guess,I have heard them at low volume,sounded pretty good,apparently there are no crossovers in them,my only reservations are they are really big,and not very pretty,lol.Just trying to demo some different brands of speakers until the c 20's hit the market...I am also going to head to Michigan soon to demo the Raidho XT-1,hopefully...any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/reference-3a-taksim-loudspeaker/
I have mentioned here that my dealer is closing,and trying to move all his remaining gear,I can get these for just over half price,I am going to demo them in a week or so.Has anyone heard them before?,they are made in Canada and were in a room at the TAVES show last year I guess,I have heard them at low volume,sounded pretty good,apparently there are no crossovers in them,my only reservations are they are really big,and not very pretty,lol.Just trying to demo some different brands of speakers until the c 20's hit the market...I am also going to head to Michigan soon to demo the Raidho XT-1,hopefully...any thoughts?
Only thought I have is demo the XT-2 also. :D Should be basically same size, footprint, as XT-1 with stands.

Reactions: no quarter
31361 - 31380 of 47724 Posts