AVS Forum banner

31401 - 31420 of 47724 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
congrats on the H160 pick hbjdk. From my limited research, Hegel/Naim are probably the best matches for Dynaudio speakers. I was originally looking into a used H100, but cannot find them anywhere. Btw how much are you getting the H160 for?

Since I am getting the 340s, I am curious if I need to get better cables than what I already have, monoprice audio cables with monoprice banana plugs. I don't like how the monoprice banana plugs leave the wire bare and exposed. I am worried about degradation over time due to oxidation... can that even affect speaker performance?
@no quarter, Glen mentioned that you have his NAIM NACA5 cables, how do you like those?

Any thoughts on my existing monoprice audio cables vs. NAIM NACA5 for additional $400? I'd rather save the $ if the sound quality difference is going to be negligible.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
congrats on the H160 pick hbjdk. From my limited research, Hegel/Naim are probably the best matches for Dynaudio speakers. I was originally looking into a used H100, but cannot find them anywhere. Btw how much are you getting the H160 for?

Since I am getting the 340s, I am curious if I need to get better cables than what I already have, monoprice audio cables with monoprice banana plugs. I don't like how the monoprice banana plugs leave the wire bare and exposed. I am worried about degradation over time due to oxidation... can that even affect speaker performance?

@no quarter, Glen mentioned that you have his NAIM NACA5 cables, how do you like those?

Any thoughts on my existing monoprice audio cables vs. NAIM NACA5 for additional $400? I'd rather save the $ if the sound quality difference is going to be negligible.
Not sure I'd go with naca5 unless you're going with Naim. As far as sound I'm not sure. I went from Totem Tress to naca5 and at first thought I heard a bit of difference but I wouldn't swear to it and never tried the Tress again. I just left the naca5 in. I didn't pay $400 for mine either but that still seems like a nice price of new.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

@no quarter , Glen mentioned that you have his NAIM NACA5 cables, how do you like those?

Regarding cables yes oxidation will degrade the SQ. But that usually takes years (been there done that). That said and like I've always said cables do make a difference BUT until you have a system that will be around for many years don't worry too much about them. The reason is cables have to match the current system you have with your listening preferences. Change a component or 2 and great cables can sound pretty bad if done wrong. That said - in general - cables will make a slight difference until you reach the mega buck system. Then you can hear a greater difference. Only you can decide if the money spent is worth the difference for your current system. Anyhow that's my opinion ;)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

@no quarter , Glen mentioned that you have his NAIM NACA5 cables, how do you like those?

Regarding cables yes oxidation will degrade the SQ. But that usually takes years (been there done that). That said and like I've always said cables do make a difference BUT until you have a system that will be around for many years don't worry too much about them. The reason is cables have to match the current system you have with your listening preferences. Change a component or 2 and great cables can sound pretty bad if done wrong. That said - in general - cables will make a slight difference until you reach the mega buck system. Then you can hear a greater difference. Only you can decide if the money spent is worth the difference for your current system. Anyhow that's my opinion
That's good advice George. I want to try the Absuz X cables but I still haven't convinced myself to drop over a grand on them yet. I'm sure I will at some point however. :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
That's good advice George. I want to try the Absuz X cables but I still haven't convinced myself to drop over a grand on them yet. I'm sure I will at some point however. :D
John personally I would wait until you are sure of the path you're on is right for you. Who knows a few years down the road you may want better speakers or a source or an amp. Even if you stick with some better cables your choices will most likely be limited to what cables you currently have at that time that sounds best with you want to upgrade to. But first I would recommend you try a fuse for $120 before cables at a G Note or more :p:p:D.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks :) It's interesting you say that about Hegel/Naim, because here tonight while listening to the Hegel I thought to myself that I'd describe the Hegel with exactly the same phrases as I've seen reviewers use about Naim: Pace, timing, rhythm, great for foot tapping. In fact I found myself doing exactly that, foot tapping, and nodding my head without being conscious about it while listening to the Hegel. I don't think I've been that into any music at all since I switched from my previous setup to a surround system (previously had a very nice sounding Nad M51 dac/preamp and a pair of nice neutral-sounding Vincent SP-997 mono power amps along with some Excite X32s.)

As for what I'm paying for the H160, as an American you will probably be shocked to hear the sales price is $3500! :)
It's the full sales price - no discount possible on the Hegel.
(We have 25% VAT here in Denmark = things are expensive.)

Are Hegel difficult to find as a brand in USA? I know it's a Norweigian brand, and I'm not sure about availability in the States.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has any of you ever heard Contour S 3.4? That's what the Hegel was connected to in the store and I gotta say: the sound was stunning. The Hegel had no trouble at all commanding the Contours, even with rather high volume (higher than I'd ever play here at home). I've never heard anything like it before. Wow! Contour 3.4 seems overlooked btw. - there isn't much talk about it on forums etc.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Are Hegel difficult to find as a brand in USA? I know it's a Norweigian brand, and I'm not sure about availability in the States.
I've got at least one Hegel dealer about 30 miles (48km) from me. There's more, I just haven't looked hard yet. I don't know what an H160 sells for with them but he offered me an H360 for $5700 US.

Reactions: hbjdk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Has any of you ever heard Contour S 3.4? That's what the Hegel was connected to in the store and I gotta say: the sound was stunning. The Hegel had no trouble at all commanding the Contours, even with rather high volume (higher than I'd ever play here at home). I've never heard anything like it before. Wow! Contour 3.4 seems overlooked btw. - there isn't much talk about it on forums etc.
Yeah I do beleive the thing about the Contour is they had not been renewed in a while may explain why they did not get as much attention but I did decided to go for the 3.4LE but since Dynaudio had finally announced the new Contour in Munich I decided to change my order.

I Remember asking about the revamp of the line back in 2012 and i was told they were going to be next on the list after the revamp the X-cites twice they finally update the Contours but they are presenting a whole new speaker with a whole new design which I believe will be outstading and which promises to produce even better bass and with the Esotar 2 tweeter they should be outstanding :)

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
The 3.4s were the long term pick on this forum until the latest Focus line was introduced; then it seemed that the 260s kinda took over the discussion given their price to performance proposition.

You will see that many of us that prefer the Focus will tend to say the 3.4s present a darker/warmer sound, and personally I've always felt the 3.4s greatest strengths was also one of the reasons I found them so boring... They're extremely well balanced, and slightly darker sounding which like I said I find a little boring.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts

I do have Glen's naca5 at home,sounds real good,but like SS and Octadyn said,don't worry about fancy cables until you get the speakers set up,and the new amp burned in,then you can experiment with positioning(of the speakers) and different cables.They will not make a huge difference in my experience,more like the icing on the cake.The naca5 is specifically designed for Naim amps,even the length of the cables matters with Naim,it affects the load on the amp,which they factor in when designing their amps.You can use it with other amps though I would imagine...I am not sure if I will hang on to them or not,he hasn't given me a price yet,and I may just hold out for Superlumina or one of the Chord offerings.:p

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have not heard the contour 3.4 but if you go back a few years in the forum they were discussed quite often,and the guys that owned them talked very highly of them,Puma Cat and Race Tripper come to mind as 3.4 owners...maybe do a search to find some of their posts.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
hbjdk:

I have had the 3.4 for several years before going to the 5.4 then into the Confidence line, very nice speaker! Since it's an older model now, I am sure it doesn't get talked about as much. I am a huge Hegel fan now, since I picked one up used one at such a great deal. I am blown away on how good of a combo the H100 is with the Confidence C2s as it is a musical match made in heaven. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
My dealer does ;)
FTR; in my set-up...Mytek Brooklyn, ARC LS-26, 4B3, and PMC 20-26s...it is a little lean and forward, in the middle.

Not fatiguingly so...and the bottom-end is to die for; but I think a "lusher" pre, would put the balance perfectly in check.

Also...I'm starting to have some thoughts, about 30s ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah I do beleive the thing about the Contour is they had not been renewed in a while may explain why they did not get as much attention but I did decided to go for the 3.4LE but since Dynaudio had finally announced the new Contour in Munich I decided to change my order.

I Remember asking about the revamp of the line back in 2012 and i was told they were going to be next on the list after the revamp the X-cites twice they finally update the Contours but they are presenting a whole new speaker with a whole new design which I believe will be outstading and which promises to produce even better bass and with the Esotar 2 tweeter they should be outstanding :)
Ok :)

I'm sure the new Esotar2-Contours will rock, but they are out of my reach financially.
That's ok though, I still look forward to hearing them in a store and I'm really happy for you guys who've ordered a pair!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 3.4s were the long term pick on this forum until the latest Focus line was introduced; then it seemed that the 260s kinda took over the discussion given their price to performance proposition.

You will see that many of us that prefer the Focus will tend to say the 3.4s present a darker/warmer sound, and personally I've always felt the 3.4s greatest strengths was also one of the reasons I found them so boring... They're extremely well balanced, and slightly darker sounding which like I said I find a little boring.
Ok! I like the special design of the 3.4 a lot, and from what I've read they should be less inclined to produce bass problems in ones room seeing as the woofers have been moved upwards.
I also thought the 3.4 sounded utterly boring when I heard them with the first two amps I tested it with, but when the Hegel H160 finally entered the ring I got the wow-sensation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have not heard the contour 3.4 but if you go back a few years in the forum they were discussed quite often,and the guys that owned them talked very highly of them,Puma Cat and Race Tripper come to mind as 3.4 owners...maybe do a search to find some of their posts.
Thanks, I'll look for it. I had already found some of the threads with Google, it's interesting to see what actual users have to say about it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hbjdk:

I have had the 3.4 for several years before going to the 5.4 then into the Confidence line, very nice speaker! Since it's an older model now, I am sure it doesn't get talked about as much. I am a huge Hegel fan now, since I picked one up used one at such a great deal. I am blown away on how good of a combo the H100 is with the Confidence C2s as it is a musical match made in heaven. Enjoy it!
Ok! You really moved your way upwards in the Dynaudio chain, eh! :)
Good to hear you liked the 3.4 when you had them and that you're a fan of the Hegel sound too.

Well, I decided to order a pair of 3.4 LE earlier today.
It's crazy I know, seeing that I only just bought the Focus 160.
But the design of the 3.4...I love it. They look badass if you ask me, especially in all black! :)
Unfortunately the LE doesn't come in all black, so I picked Walnut instead.
It's a nice, calm-looking color that should blend in nicely in my room.
Mocca is too dark for my taste, Black is with that steel plate in the front which IMO makes them look like the kind of speakers a 19 year old teenager would buy and show off to his friends :eek:!
That left Bubinga and Walnut - I think Bubinga is a little too aggressive a color for such a small room such as mine. The Walnut will attract the eye much less and will make the speakers kind of "rest easier" in the room, I think, if you know what I mean.
I'm not sure I'll sell the 160s, they are way too good. Probably be using them as surround speakers, then possibly wall mount the X14 over by my pc. Sometimes I would like to listen to music in a more close up way which I can do while sitting in front of the pc.
Thanks all!

31401 - 31420 of 47724 Posts