AVS Forum banner

31441 - 31460 of 47739 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

I demoed the non-LEs.
I've been told by Dynaudio that they're the same in terms of bass and dynamics, but that LE sounds "a little more open and transparent, perhaps a little more 'airy'."

I hope they are not very different, that thought never occurred to me but now I do wonder.
This is what I was able to reconcile from Otto who was a bit reluctant to confirm or infirm my question about them for very obvious reasons but he was kind enough to tell me with the better x-over parts of the LE that yes they should be which I was much appreciative of.

·
Registered
550 Posts
What's the price difference of the new contour line and the LE?

Congrats!

I was told the list price on the 3.4 LE is $6950.

I demoed the non-LEs.
I've been told by Dynaudio that they're the same in terms of bass and dynamics, but that LE sounds "a little more open and transparent, perhaps a little more 'airy'."

I hope they are not very different, that thought never occurred to me but now I do wonder.

Since you like the F160s I wouldn't worry. According to my dealer, the Contour LE models are voiced more like the Focus on the top end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do have Glen's naca5 at home,sounds real good,but like SS and Octadyn said,don't worry about fancy cables until you get the speakers set up,and the new amp burned in,then you can experiment with positioning(of the speakers) and different cables.They will not make a huge difference in my experience,more like the icing on the cake.The naca5 is specifically designed for Naim amps,even the length of the cables matters with Naim,it affects the load on the amp,which they factor in when designing their amps.You can use it with other amps though I would imagine...I am not sure if I will hang on to them or not,he hasn't given me a price yet,and I may just hold out for Superlumina or one of the Chord offerings.:p
Hey no quarter, I think I am going to take up your earlier offer of comparing the Belles Solorist 3 & 5 against a NAIM. Glen has a set of X34 for the comparison. I was never a bass head, and appreciates sparkles in the highs. I listen to a lot of music, especially into Violin, Saxophone (Kenny G!) and Piano. Also quite a bit of vocals (Adele, Coldplay, etc). I'd appreciate it if you can demo music in those genres :).

I patiently (trying to at least) await your thoughts. And thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Hey no quarter, I think I am going to take up your earlier offer of comparing the Belles Solorist 3 & 5 against a NAIM. Glen has a set of X34 for the comparison. I was never a bass head, and appreciates sparkles in the highs. I listen to a lot of music, especially into Violin, Saxophone (Kenny G!) and Piano. Also quite a bit of vocals (Adele, Coldplay, etc). I'd appreciate it if you can demo music in those genres :).

I patiently (trying to at least) await your thoughts. And thanks again for all the help!
Yes sure I should be able to make it there Saturday afternoon,not sure about the Adele or Coldplay though,lol...Glen usually has a nice assortment of music on hand.I will post my thoughts tomorrow,did he say which Naim amp he would use?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

Adele - rolling In the deep
Coldplay - always in my head

Just a couple tracks that I can't help but say, have some strong bass, I don't care what you're listening too, it's there. Naim isn't bass heavy but it has the punch when you want it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Adele - rolling In the deep
Coldplay - always in my head

Just a couple tracks that I can't help but say, have some strong bass, I don't care what you're listening too, it's there. Naim isn't bass heavy but it has the punch when you want it.
Adele's cd's are well known to be one of the worst recordings that are out there ,and I totally agree, way too bright/over-compressed or whatever you want to call it, I can not listen to more than 20 seconds of it before I run for the hills...I don't know ,to each there own but it is not what music I would use to test new gear, you most likely will think you made a BIG mistake. Don't worry Lincoln, Glen has plenty of Jazz. classical, and female vocalist type of music on hand, usually stellar recordings that do make all the difference in the world to your enjoyment. I will also bring some music on thumb drives...Leonard Cohen. Branford Marsalis, Art pepper...and of course some blues/rock etc.,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Adele's cd's are well known to be one of the worst recordings that are out there ,and I totally agree, way too bright/over-compressed or whatever you want to call it, I can not listen to more than 20 seconds of it before I run for the hills...I don't know ,to each there own but it is not what music I would use to test new gear, you most likely will think you made a BIG mistake. Don't worry Lincoln, Glen has plenty of Jazz. classical, and female vocalist type of music on hand, usually stellar recordings that do make all the difference in the world to your enjoyment. I will also bring some music on thumb drives...Leonard Cohen. Branford Marsalis, Art pepper...and of course some blues/rock etc.,
I'm not worried about your demo, but I am worried about my materials. I do have 2TB of flac, but they are not properly indexed and I almost never listen to them given how accessible streaming services (I use Spotify premium) are now a days. I might have to finally sit down to sort through the flac files...

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Whether you like Adele or not, the music has bass heavy tracks esp on the 21 album.

If I only listened to good recordings my listening would be about 1/4 of what it is. I listen for fun and enjoyment.

I bring a lot of stuff to demo music. My demos are probably some of the most comprehensive my dealer sees. Most people that walk in there want to listen to classical and jazz; and I take that with me, but I take rock music, indie rock, pop, heavy metal, blues, acoustic, classic rock, female vocalists, on usb drive, vinyl and CDs.

Reactions: yonson and ri3eboi

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Funny someone mentions Adele recordings. My system pales in comparison to many of the folks in this thread, yet I find the same problem. Great music, terrific voice....I think. I'm not sure I've ever truly heard though because the recordings are so poorly done. On her most recent "25", the popular song "Hello" should just be shortened to "Hell"....on your ears.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Btw. I'm looking for a Contour SCX center speaker.
Pete says Dynaudio Denmark possibly have one available so I've asked them on FB.
There aren't any on Hifishark, it seems like a hard speaker to come by.
I would suggest a direct phone call to them, or maybe call Otto. It's an 'inside' info on that there's one left, as of 3 months ago..
So I wouldn't wait too long.
If you are unable to find it, either wait a while for the new Contours or suck it up and get the Confidence centre. An amazing centre if I may say so..

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Whether you like Adele or not, the music has bass heavy tracks esp on the 21 album.

If I only listened to good recordings my listening would be about 1/4 of what it is. I listen for fun and enjoyment.

I bring a lot of stuff to demo music. My demos are probably some of the most comprehensive my dealer sees. Most people that walk in there want to listen to classical and jazz; and I take that with me, but I take rock music, indie rock, pop, heavy metal, blues, acoustic, classic rock, female vocalists, on usb drive, vinyl and CDs.
The demo should be fun for me regardless of what the music choice is, for one I have not heard belles gear before, and I don't think I have ever heard the excite 34's either.:cool:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
The demo should be fun for me regardless of what the music choice is, for one I have not heard belles gear before, and I don't think I have ever heard the excite 34's either.:cool:
The X34s are nice speakers especially at their small size. Warmer then the Focus, but extremely musical.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I do, I use my Oppo Network capabilities as a transport and I have an external DAC Bel Canto VB3.5 :)
I think the 272 would be a nice upgrade from the Oppo as a source. I believe Garman thought the Sony he had was a big upgrade so the 272 will be on another level. That being said I would audition the 282 and 252 as many seem to prefer the 282 over the 252. Just my reading but they seem to present the music differently. There are also rumors of new pres coming out very soon. I think the 272 gets very close to the 282 and upgrades your streaming source.

Reactions: no quarter

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I think the 272 would be a nice upgrade from the Oppo as a source. I believe Garman thought the Sony he had was a big upgrade so the 272 will be on another level. That being said I would audition the 282 and 252 as many seem to prefer the 282 over the 252. Just my reading but they seem to present the music differently. There are also rumors of new pres coming out very soon. I think the 272 gets very close to the 282 and upgrades your streaming source.
Exactly SS the n 272 is far better than you can imagine,and not only does the pre improve with a power supply upgrade,so does the streamer,i no longer use my chord hugo in the chain, the dac in the n 272 is also really special.I really believe that it inherited a lot of tech from the statement pre,i just feel like you will end up with way more boxes if you go with 282/252...i would not go with a dedicated pre unless it was the 552 level,but BigAl may have other ideas.I belive Arashid (analogmusic) has demo'd the 272 and 282 side by side(he owns the 282) and said if he could do it again he would go with the 272,they are very close,hopefully he chimes in.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Exactly SS the n 272 is far better than you can imagine,and not only does the pre improve with a power supply upgrade,so does the streamer,i no longer use my chord hugo in the chain, the dac in the n 272 is also really special.I really believe that it inherited a lot of tech from the statement pre,i just feel like you will end up with way more boxes if you go with 282/252...i would not go with a dedicated pre unless it was the 552 level,but BigAl may have other ideas.I belive Arashid (analogmusic) has demo'd the 272 and 282 side by side(he owns the 282) and said if he could do it again he would go with the 272,they are very close,hopefully he chimes in.
He seems to have worked his way up the Naim ladder. It would be nice to see him chime in. There is a lot to be said for synergy as well Oliver. The speakers you have seem to like Naim and Naim seems to like Naim as well. I'm not saying other gear can't work with it, i.e. Chord, but that doesn't seem to always be the case. It's your money but the 272/250 combo seems to be a very sweet combo. Then take it to another level with a power supply later. Years of happiness there.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Wish I had unlimited budget and Naim don't come cheap here now since our dollar is no longer on par, if it still was honestly I would consider the option. I wish I could get the 300DR with the 272 :p. Keep in mind I have a great external dac with an A rated component by Stereophile and honestly that make a huge difference between using that dac vs the OPPO, to use the OPPO simply as a transport is not a big problem.

John do you have an external dac?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks NQ, but that being said I would not need the DAC cause I alredy have a great external dac, If I did not have that dac already I think the 272 would be what aim for. Any idea of the retail price of the 272?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thanks NQ, but that being said I would not need the DAC cause I alredy have a great external dac, If I did not have that dac already I think the 272 would be what aim for. Any idea of the retail price of the 272?
I still have my Hugo,and may try to insert it back in the system at some point,i am concentrating on speakers for now,but the 272 dac i can live with for sure.I am not sure what Canadian retail is on the 272,i traded in a few items to get mine,so it was more of a swap than anything for me.:):)

31441 - 31460 of 47739 Posts