AVS Forum banner

31461 - 31480 of 47991 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Hey no quarter, I think I am going to take up your earlier offer of comparing the Belles Solorist 3 & 5 against a NAIM. Glen has a set of X34 for the comparison. I was never a bass head, and appreciates sparkles in the highs. I listen to a lot of music, especially into Violin, Saxophone (Kenny G!) and Piano. Also quite a bit of vocals (Adele, Coldplay, etc). I'd appreciate it if you can demo music in those genres :).

I patiently (trying to at least) await your thoughts. And thanks again for all the help!
Hey Lincoln,i just got back from Audio 2,i don't have much time to post pics right now,but i took a few...i have to say the Belles combo worked really well with the excite 34's,even better than the older Naim gear he played.I say you can't go wrong with that combo...i will get more in depth when i have more time.:)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Thanks NQ, but that being said I would not need the DAC cause I alredy have a great external dac, If I did not have that dac already I think the 272 would be what aim for. Any idea of the retail price of the 272?
From what I can tell of the markups and exchange rates I'd say that you'd probably see the lust price at $7195-7695. Not all the prices hold to the exact exchange rate, markups range between 20-23% that of the US, exchange rate is .78/1. Or 22%. US list is $5995.

Honestly, having heard many DACs at my dealer with many Dyns and that includes Bel Canto products, the dacs and analogue sections of Naim products are just as good as any. Sure things come with their own sound and their own presentation, and everything is in our own tastes.

I wouldn't say to sell out to Naim if you don't want to, but naims digital products and dacs are as good as any other. But that's the thing, there's other good things out there. However if you really are considering Naim and Naim streaming, my advice is go with the Naim SuperUniti, it's a SN2 preamp and power amp with NDX streamer and the Naim DAC dac and analogue output. It would be about the only thing I'd upgrade to at this point. It would significantly reduce you investment especially since separates would be much more expensive, for $8500-ish considering trade-in or sell offs of dac and possibly the sudgen amp, or anything else you won't need anymore, makes it quite attractive.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
With discussion of sample material for speaker comparison in mind, has anyone ever used Euge Groove for test material? Their jazz is kind of odd with it's LF bass compared to many with more subdued acoustic bass.

·
Registered
35 Posts
New speakers arrived :) (non-LE...don't ask! :D)

Very happy :)

More later !

Btw. I also need to address the posts you guys have posted to me above which I haven't responded to yet, will do tomorrow probably.
Leicester City fan! Go on Musa, get one for us.

Also, what colour are the 3.4s? Can't tell with the lighting.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I think the 272 would be a nice upgrade from the Oppo as a source. I believe Garman thought the Sony he had was a big upgrade so the 272 will be on another level. That being said I would audition the 282 and 252 as many seem to prefer the 282 over the 252. Just my reading but they seem to present the music differently. There are also rumors of new pres coming out very soon. I think the 272 gets very close to the 282 and upgrades your streaming source.
Wish I had unlimited budget and Naim don't come cheap here now since our dollar is no longer on par, if it still was honestly I would consider the option. I wish I could get the 300DR with the 272
. Keep in mind I have a great external dac with an A rated component by Stereophile and honestly that make a huge difference between using that dac vs the OPPO, to use the OPPO simply as a transport is not a big problem.

John do you have an external dac?
Unlimited budget? 272/250 is on par or cheaper than 252/250.

U2 has built on DAC.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Unlimited budget? 272/250 is on par or cheaper than 252/250.

U2 has built on DAC.
Ok I see so for you if you upgraded to seperates fine of course I would buy 272 hands down but if you compare 252 vs 272 price alone? We're not even talking about PSU upgrades yet. Just want to have price to price comparison and not total price and cost of getting an external dac or else.

Anyhow seems like this is stretching the budget for me, I'll just get Bryston separates :p

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Need help with adding bass speaker or subwoofer ??

Hello, I'm new. I just got a pair of excite x14's. The small passive ones. I'm VERY happy with them, but the bass is lacking. I can not fit a pair of floor standing speakers in my room- it's tiny. I have them hooked to a Parasound 2100 Pre-amp and a Parasound 2125 amp. The speaker's specs are; Impedance: 8 OhmFrequency Response: 50 Hz–23 kHz (± 3 dB)

I looked at Dynaudio subwoofers but from what I've heard they are not terribly exciting. I tried out a revel and another subwoofer and the sound is not nearly as articulate as the Dynaudios. The dealer said they weren't set up right, but still, they were very fuzzy. I'm wondering if a woofer and not a subwoofer is what I need. However, I can't find a plain small woofer speaker in the Dynaudio catalog. A JL subwoofer was suggested but I haven't had a chance to hear one. Any suggestions? Did I miss a separate Dynaudio woofer or bass speaker that goes lower? Are there kits that can be put into any old cabinet without circuit board soldering? Can a small woofer speaker (not a subwoofer) be connected to the amp set as a subwoofer?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow did I just convince you to order a pair or your audition of the 3.4 convinced you to order the 3.4LE? Regardless they are outstanding speakers!

Congratz!!!
Thanks :) Yes, your view on them had an effect in me wanting to buy them, as did my audition of the non-3.4, however no quarter's comment really hit me because he was right of course - my decisions are all over the map & I'm spending money like there's no tomorrow...and if I keep it up, there won't be much, if any, savings. Thus I decided to just get the non-LE and save $1065. I was thrilled with the sound of the non-3.4 after all, and it was their color and look, the all-black, that made me fall in love with the 3.4 (along with the design). I only wanted the LE because the sound should be a little better. I thought to myself: These are speakers you can easily be having many years from now, so in that time frame $1065 perhaps isn't so much. Still, you can always get something better in this hifi world if you spend more, but that doesn't mean "the second best" option cannot be incredibly good and in fact totally satisfy you if you bought it. So I'm saving the $1065 and still getting some speakers that are completely awesome.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Leicester City fan! Go on Musa, get one for us.

Also, what colour are the 3.4s? Can't tell with the lighting.
Hehe! No, I'm not specifically a Leicester City fan, I'm a fan of English football in general, especially the top teams (2 x Manchester, Arsenal, Chelsea, and now also Leicester). But also Southampton, Liverpool and Tottenham, when these teams play well.
I also always cheer for the English teams in Champions League and during the European Championship I cheered for England.
It's the most exciting football league in the world if you ask me.
The top teams have no walk over matches, they have to really fight for each and every point available and if they fall asleep in a match then even a low ranked team in the league might just beat them.
That makes for a very exciting football league, unlike in Spain, Germany, Italy, France etc. where one or two teams completely dominate (ok, 3 in Spain with Ath. Madrid now also).

Ok, enough football talk for now :)

Speakers are all-black, sorry for the bad quality photo, my mobile phone's camera isn't very good in poor lighting conditions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes I was being sarcastic,just having a bit of fun...did you not see the wink?Sorry if I offended you
Thanks, no worries though, I misunderstood! In Denmark, the wink is also used condescendingly so combined with the green puke-icon or whatever it is (! :) ) I thought you were serious. What's more, you really hit me in solar plexus with your comment because of course you are right: My decisions are all over the map as I obviously have a hard time sticking to a decision when I've made it. Also you are right in that I'm spending and spending money, so in 14 days there will probably be no money left if I keep it up! I actually want to thank you, nq :). Your comment made we wake up and realize I have to take it easy with the spending, which I will, starting with picking the non-LE 3.4s instead of the LE and thus save $1065 - while still getting some kick ass speakers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello, I'm new. I just got a pair of excite x14's. The small passive ones. I'm VERY happy with them, but the bass is lacking. I can not fit a pair of floor standing speakers in my room- it's tiny. I have them hooked to a Parasound 2100 Pre-amp and a Parasound 2125 amp. The speaker's specs are; Impedance: 8 OhmFrequency Response: 50 Hz–23 kHz (± 3 dB)

I looked at Dynaudio subwoofers but from what I've heard they are not terribly exciting. I tried out a revel and another subwoofer and the sound is not nearly as articulate as the Dynaudios. The dealer said they weren't set up right, but still, they were very fuzzy. I'm wondering if a woofer and not a subwoofer is what I need. However, I can't find a plain small woofer speaker in the Dynaudio catalog. A JL subwoofer was suggested but I haven't had a chance to hear one. Any suggestions? Did I miss a separate Dynaudio woofer or bass speaker that goes lower? Are there kits that can be put into any old cabinet without circuit board soldering? Can a small woofer speaker (not a subwoofer) be connected to the amp set as a subwoofer?
Have you tried moving the X14 closer to the back wall? That could give you a little more bass.

If you want a little larger Dynaudio, there is the X18.
You can save some money and still get a very good speaker if you find a pair of used X16 though.
Alternatively look for a used B&W ASW610 sub. I also have a small room for living room, and I find that B&W subs portray bass with finesse and nuance. What's more they integrate perfectly and easily with Dynaudio's, at least the ones I've tried (Excite x32, Excite x14, Focus 160).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. They're about 10 inches away from the wall. Closer, they don't sound as good, even with the bungs in place. I'd like bigger speakers- but it's hard to fit in this room.

Maybe a stupid question... but are subwoofers usually more murky than woofers in general? I heard the dynaudio subs were boring, but maybe that just means they're not loud. I'm more into definition than loudness. Sorry- I don't know the terminology/

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks. They're about 10 inches away from the wall. Closer, they don't sound as good, even with the bungs in place. I'd like bigger speakers- but it's hard to fit in this room.

Maybe a stupid question... but are subwoofers usually more murky than woofers in general? I heard the dynaudio subs were boring, but maybe that just means they're not loud. I'm more into definition than loudness. Sorry- I don't know the terminology/
Ok w.r.t. proximity to back wall.

No, a good sub is not murky at all. I've heard some cheap ones and I wouldn't buy any of those for the world. Poor integration with speakers, bass lacking definition and nuance etc.

You can find used hifi stuff here: http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=b&w+asw+610

31461 - 31480 of 47991 Posts